Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is money better than sex?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:06AM #11
Erey

I think if you don't have one or don't have access to one you miss it.

Unless you are older, past your hormonal prime or perhaps not in good health it is natural to want sex and if you don't have it or you don't have access to it you become unhappy about not having it.

That might be another issue, the western world is graying, becoming older and so a higher percentage of the population is going to be sexualy inactive or put as much importance on sex. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:11AM #12
Erey

Mar 9, 2011 -- 6:57AM, costrel wrote:

Mar 9, 2011 -- 2:43AM, CharikIeia wrote:

It's a matter of education, in the first place.

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
-- Aldous Huxley

Or it is a matter of religious or philosophical indoctrination. Huxley seems to have bought into that European Christian garbage that an intellectual -- like a mystic -- should be a celibate solitary rather than a "family man" or a "family woman," which we also see perpetuated in the United States in writers such as Emerson and Thoreau. As some of my friends liked to point out in college, even great men like Karl Marx and Gandhi were married with children (but then, so too was Huxley). A great thinker doesn't have to be celibate and single like Jesus, Thoreau, Emily Dickinson, or Emily Bronte, nor does a great thinker have to abandon spouse and child like the Buddha did.

Nations with high general education have lower birth rates (and I'd guess: also lower sex rates) than lowly educated nations, where populations explode.

Or better birth control and more recreational (rather than procreational) sex.

No you don't have to be celebate to be a spiritual mountain but I do think that a certain percentage of our population is more geared to celebacy.  They might even want sex but not enough to be motivated ot make it happen. 

I also think for people who want to "devote" their lives you soemtimes think you should eschew romantic entaglements.  Much like Queen Victoria.    This is why Fidel Castro tries to pretend to be a non family man and devoted to his cuba and his cuba alone.  But in reality he does have a spouse and they have about 5 sons.  He never has admited to this .
I can see where a nun or somebody like that would be more free "to serve" unencumbered by familial or spousal obligations. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:53AM #13
allthegoodnamesweretaken

How much money? 

I don't think 20  bucks is better than sex, but for a billion or so, I'd embrace a life of celibacy. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 7:01PM #14
REteach

Sex is probably easier to come by than money, so it makes sense that it is not as valued. At least on a poll. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 8:15PM #15
jane2

Mar 9, 2011 -- 9:56AM, Marcion wrote:

Money can buy some pretty good sex.

I was thinking the same thing !!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:20PM #16
Abner1

Hrm ... I'd have to say yes, money is better than sex.

Money doesn't generally transmit any diseases worse than a cold or flu.

I've never had any cause to regret afterwards getting some money.

If you offer someone sufficient money in return for something valuable, they rarely laugh in your face.

Money doesn't generally come with a bunch of unhealthy emotional baggage.

Money doesn't risk eighteen or so years of loss of freedom unless you're *really* stupid in how you choose to get your money.

When you have more money than you need immediately, people don't mind if you put the extra aside and get it later whenever you wish.

Money is less messy, and rarely needs lubricants ... and a single wallet can be reused to contain and protect your money for years and years.

(There are some areas where the calculus of money-vs.-sex is a bit more even.  Both, for example, are bad reasons to get married, and being drunk when you plan out how to get either of them is a bad idea.  And, of course, it's socially unacceptable to ask for either from a stranger, and you're likely to regret any lifestyle that focuses on asking people for either for a living.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:47PM #17
Roodog

What Money?

What Sex?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:48PM #18
Roodog

No money, No honey......

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 12:47AM #19
Ebon

Mar 9, 2011 -- 11:11AM, Erey wrote:

I also think for people who want to "devote" their lives you soemtimes think you should eschew romantic entaglements.  Much like Queen Victoria.

You're thinking of Elizabeth the First. Victoria had nine kids and would have had more if Albert had been willing.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 1:22AM #20
Stardove

Mar 9, 2011 -- 1:04AM, MMarcoe wrote:

Mar 8, 2011 -- 10:10PM, solfeggio wrote:

In a recent survey of younger wage-earners here in New Zealand the majority gave pay day a higher pleasure rating than sex:

www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/4742994/Kiwis...

Evidently, this younger generation has different ideas than the baby boomers about what sorts of activities give the most pleasure. 

I wonder if a survey taken in the U.S. or the UK or Canada or Australia would produce the same results.

I'd take money over sex any day, because with money, I could buy sex if I wanted.

Having money relieves a person of a lot of anxieties in life -- paying for shelter, obtaining food, heating your home, paying for healthcare.

As for sex -- well, you can take that into your own hands any time you want.

Are you not the member who thinks prostitution is a terrible for ALL involved???? Your post makes me confused....to say the least.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook