Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is money better than sex?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 10:10PM #1
solfeggio

In a recent survey of younger wage-earners here in New Zealand the majority gave pay day a higher pleasure rating than sex:

www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/4742994/Kiwis...

Evidently, this younger generation has different ideas than the baby boomers about what sorts of activities give the most pleasure. 

I wonder if a survey taken in the U.S. or the UK or Canada or Australia would produce the same results.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 10:20PM #2
Girlchristian

Mar 8, 2011 -- 10:10PM, solfeggio wrote:

In a recent survey of younger wage-earners here in New Zealand the majority gave pay day a higher pleasure rating than sex:

They must not be doing it right. :-)

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 10:59PM #3
Ebon

I'm with GC on this one. Payday often comes with a sense of relief ("I'll be able to pay that gas bill/fill up the car/buy that video game") but for actual pleasure, I'll take sex any day. Even lousy sex.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 1:04AM #4
MMarcoe

Evidently, this younger generation has different ideas than the baby boomers about what sorts of activities give the most pleasure. 

I wonder if a survey taken in the U.S. or the UK or Canada or Australia would produce the same results.

I'd take money over sex any day, because with money, I could buy sex if I wanted.

Having money relieves a person of a lot of anxieties in life -- paying for shelter, obtaining food, heating your home, paying for healthcare.

As for sex -- well, you can take that into your own hands any time you want.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 1:11AM #5
Yavanna

I believe it would. An article in USA today run yesterday showed that American teenagers are having less sex than in 2002. In 2002, the numbers were at 22%. Today, 29% of teenagers report having no sexual contact of any form whatsoever. Most of them say it isn't on their radar. They're too busy with school, with work or their own interests to worry about such things.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 2:43AM #6
CharikIeia

It's a matter of education, in the first place.

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
-- Aldous Huxley

Nations with high general education have lower birth rates (and I'd guess: also lower sex rates) than lowly educated nations, where populations explode.

And of course, education correlates with income, and hence more options to make one's life colourful... so, the results are not really a surprise.

And I think the trend away from sex is a global one, not confined to New Zealand.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 4:27AM #7
Ebon

Mar 9, 2011 -- 2:43AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Nations with high general education have lower birth rates (and I'd guess: also lower sex rates) than lowly educated nations, where populations explode.

I'd dispute that assumption. It is equally, if not more, likely that nations with higher general education are more likely to include widespread contraceptive use.

And I think the trend away from sex is a global one, not confined to New Zealand.

Not if I have anything to do with it! Humanity already vastly overcomplicate sex, last thing we need is another anti-sex movement.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 6:57AM #8
costrel

Mar 9, 2011 -- 2:43AM, CharikIeia wrote:

It's a matter of education, in the first place.

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
-- Aldous Huxley

Or it is a matter of religious or philosophical indoctrination. Huxley seems to have bought into that European Christian garbage that an intellectual -- like a mystic -- should be a celibate solitary rather than a "family man" or a "family woman," which we also see perpetuated in the United States in writers such as Emerson and Thoreau. As some of my friends liked to point out in college, even great men like Karl Marx and Gandhi were married with children (but then, so too was Huxley). A great thinker doesn't have to be celibate and single like Jesus, Thoreau, Emily Dickinson, or Emily Bronte, nor does a great thinker have to abandon spouse and child like the Buddha did.

Or better birth control and more recreational (rather than procreational) sex.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 9:56AM #9
Marcion

Money can buy some pretty good sex.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 10:52AM #10
teilhard

So ... In today's Capitalist-Market Economy, "Pay Day" means The Workers are getting "screwed" ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook