Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Getting rid of the clearly UN-Constitutional DOMA
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2011 - 4:50PM #11
TPaine

Feb 26, 2011 -- 12:17PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

TPaine,

Re: Preserving  Traditional Marriage

Could you (or anyone else) explain to me how, by allowing other people (specifically same-gender couples) to marry takes away the right of heterosexuals to have "traditional" marriages???

This "preserving" it (or "defending" it) seems to me to imply that if gays can marry legally, heterosexuals will lose their privileges to marry.

There's no way I can explain such a ridiculous concept. If they actually  believe what they say do they think that all hetero marriages would  suddenly be annulled and they would have to marry someone of their own gender?

This is a serious question. During the last election, when the issue of same-gender marriage came up in an on-the-street interview, a woman said, "But who will have all the cildren?" It was as if she believed same-gender marriages would be mandatory for ALL citizens.

If having children were the only reason for marriage should we forbid women who have reached menopause or impotent men from getting married? The incredible ignorance of far too large a segment of out population is frightening especially when we realize that they are allowed to vote, or worse yet, be elected.

From whence does such ignorance originate? It baffles and astounds me. (Or, do some folks actually believe the lies the RRR spreads about gay people?)

"A fool always finds one still more foolish to admire him." -- Nicolas Boileau: The Art of Poetry (1674)

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2011 - 2:16PM #12
Do_unto_others

Feb 26, 2011 -- 3:12PM, REteach wrote:

During the last election, when the issue of same-gender marriage came up in an on-the-street interview, a woman said, "But who will have all the cildren?" It was as if she believed same-gender marriages would be mandatory for ALL citizens.

From whence does such ignorance originate? It baffles and astounds me. (Or, do some folks actually believe the lies the RRR spreads about gay people?)

I sometimes wonder if they are self-loathing closeted gays.  I can't imagine any other reason why they think heterosexuals would stop having heterosexual relationships. 

Oh, I certainly can think of at least one 'reason' why some people might think that: because their pastor tells them so. Listen to (or read) almost ANY of Parson Hucklebee's speeches - what he says/lies about gay people is not at all subtle. I think the term is "bully pulpit". (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) He's even gone the 'compare gays to child-molesters and beastialists' route.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2011 - 3:19PM #13
REteach

But do they think they are the only people in the country who aren't going to throw off their spouse and start having uncontrollable sex with someone of their own gender?  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2011 - 8:27PM #14
hyoka

Feb 27, 2011 -- 3:19PM, REteach wrote:

But do they think they are the only people in the country who aren't going to throw off their spouse and start having uncontrollable sex with someone of their own gender?  

Could be...

Or maybe they’re afraid that if gay folks stop pretending to be “straight”  and getting married to the opposite sex  civilization as we know it will crumble…..

When I was 13 me and  my friend Brian had a theory that the most creative people on the planet where always “born gay”  and we had a responsibility to  pretend to be “straight “ so we could get married and breed and  pass on  our ‘superior creative  genes’ ….Could it be that some folks are afraid that  Same Gender Marriage  would discourage the “Born Gays”   from "turning straight" and breeding  , there by ripping the creative soul from the ‘gene pool of humanity ?

Yep…that’s gotta be it .

Ok …it didn’t work for me. I’m still gay but maybe I’m just not creative enough.  ;- )

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 3:30PM #15
Yavanna

Feb 26, 2011 -- 12:50PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Yes some people do believe the lies Republicans tell about gay people.

I have a neighbour who believe bizarre things about bi sexual people. Like they sleep with everything that moves, have no morals, have and many other ridiculous things. They do not have a realistic idea of what LGBT is at all. It appears most who are against equality have a sick fantasy view of orientations that are not hetero.

It is sad and very disturbing. And drives the bigotry.

I am at a loss as to how to get through to people like that. This neighbour left me speechless. And I did not have the time to try and explain the different between what he believed and what is real.

Hetero people will not be affected at all by allowing same sex people to marry. I don't know how to make people understand that.

Television and movies don't help. Every bi character tends to be promiscuous. People tend to believe whatever they see on TV.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2