Post Reply
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christian Preschool and Daphne: A study in HATE
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 12:59PM #1
Cryano
Posts: 2,828

An example of how these myths contribute to a hateful attitude and a hate-filled society.


 Daphne from Scooby Doo

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 2:06PM #2
Cryano
Posts: 2,828

Nov 5, 2010 -- 1:49PM, Palmtree0 wrote:


Nov 5, 2010 -- 12:59PM, Cryano wrote:


An example of how these myths contribute to a hateful attitude and a hate-filled society.


 Daphne from Scooby Doo




Oh, I agree..!! What mother could be so "hateful" to her son, and not have the common sense to say "NO" to her uneducated child. He's five..!! Of course he would not know why he shouldn't dress-up as Daphne..!! What a birdbrain this cute little boy has for a mom..!! Where is his DAD..??



Taught like this.


Thank you for making my point even clearer.


I rest my case.

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 2:31PM #3
Kodiacman
Posts: 2,541

Nov 5, 2010 -- 12:59PM, Cryano wrote:


An example of how these myths contribute to a hateful attitude and a hate-filled society.


 Daphne from Scooby Doo




All people can be rude for whatever reason, whether they are religious or not. The choice to highlight a rude persons actions and then attempt to ascribe thier attitudes/actions as being caused as a result of a religious bias is a weak argument imo. Correlation does not prove causation. I can easily show rude people exist in all walks of life and those people maintain various belief systems, does that make all of them and thier correlating belief systems promoters of hate because of thier attitudes/actions? I should think not, and neither should you........


blessings


 




If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 3:23PM #4
Cryano
Posts: 2,828

"Correlation does not prove causation. I can easily show rude people exist in all walks of life and those people maintain various belief systems, does that make all of them and thier correlating belief systems promoters of hate because of thier attitudes/actions?"


You are conveniently (and deliberately?) forgetting that these myths PROMOTE an anti-gay attitude. That the believers in this stuff follow that injunction. And we see this often in the real world. Prop 8 in CA being only a recent example.


Your argument is essentially "so's your old man" and it is weak indeed. Because it ignores that YOUR "old man" was TAUGHT to hate and fear and told is was God's will.Tongue outFrown

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 4:49PM #5
Thomas A Quinas
Posts: 1,661

Nov 5, 2010 -- 3:23PM, Cryano wrote:

You are conveniently (and deliberately?) forgetting that these myths PROMOTE an anti-gay attitude. That the believers in this stuff follow that injunction. And we see this often in the real world. Prop 8 in CA being only a recent example.


Your argument is essentially "so's your old man" and it is weak indeed. Because it ignores that YOUR "old man" was TAUGHT to hate and fear and told is was God's will.


In my experience, it is secularists who have more contempt for homosexuals, as they are more likely to use homophobic slurs or engage in activities like "gay-bashing".  As early as elementary school this was true (from the mouths of kids who never uttered a syllable about God).  Regarding the article, none of the gossiping moms ever verbalized any worry that the five-year-old would turn out gay.  This is idle speculation on behalf of the author (and the OP who posted this link ate it up with a spoon; no questions asked).


I also disagree with the author's philosophy that "if it makes him happy, you should simply allow it (even at five years old)."  When the child comes of age in the real world, he might be in for a rude awakening.



Seek true peace, not upon earth, but in heaven; not in men, nor in other things created, but in God alone. -- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 5:10PM #6
Kodiacman
Posts: 2,541

Nov 5, 2010 -- 3:23PM, Cryano wrote:


"Correlation does not prove causation. I can easily show rude people exist in all walks of life and those people maintain various belief systems, does that make all of them and thier correlating belief systems promoters of hate because of thier attitudes/actions?"


You are conveniently (and deliberately?) forgetting that these myths PROMOTE an anti-gay attitude. That the believers in this stuff follow that injunction. And we see this often in the real world. Prop 8 in CA being only a recent example.



Were you aware that my "myth" teaches me to love all persons? I know that you have been exposed to Christianity, and I do not wish to be overly critical here, but sometimes I wonder what kind of Christian teachings you sat under given this seemingly total misunderstanding of the basic Christian concept of love.

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. 1 John 4:20-21 (KJV)


In the above passage I fail to see the caveat that "allows" a Christian to hate anybody and still claim to love God. What God, through Scripture, states about a persons actions, specifically in what is typically known as sin-(ful behaviors), does not "allow" me, as a Christian, to love any person, no matter thier behaviors, any less. If a teacher, organization, or preacher wants to justify a rude and hateful attitude towards a sinner or a group of sinners, I would have to say that they are not really representing Christianity correctly as portrayed by this passage in I John 4.


Nov 5, 2010 -- 3:23PM, Cryano wrote:


Your argument is essentially "so's your old man" and it is weak indeed. Because it ignores that YOUR "old man" was TAUGHT to hate and fear and told is was God's will.




Your argument relies upon the premise that Christianity promotes hate and that then is your correlation to show causation. My response is that Christianity, as I understand it, does not promote hate (see above) and therefore I reason that your argument is every bit as weak as I have stated it was. To me it has no legs to stand upon......


Even if you can show that God does not "like" gays, you still must show that God permits hate of such persons by Christians as this would directly contradict what is stated in I John to get the correlation argument to "stick."


blessings

If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 5:33PM #7
bigbear6161
Posts: 3,693
Look, I have nothing against gays and have spoke in favor of equal rights for gays both in the state and in the church. I have even stated my belief that there must be a sacramental homosexual option available in the church. However, this article is not about gays. The little boy is probably not gay, just a little boy who likes Daphne. Now I always found Daphne rather hot myself. Anyway, one of a parent's roles is to help our children make good decisions. Dressing as Daphne may not have been such a good idea. While men and women are very alike there are some differences. One of the most telling thing is that the article was written by the mother. I doubt any father would encourage that costume not because of any anti- gay sentiment but simply because being a male is an important and deeply spiritual spect of one's life. There is a uniqueness to being a male, and men are the best ones to teach a boy how to be a male. There is a fierce strength in us, a wildman covered in hair at the bottom of the pond. This fierceness gives us the strength to overcome obstacles and discover the power of male spirit. Too many of us lost this during the 70's and it took Bly, Kean, Moyers and others to reawaken this life giving and life affirming ferocity in us. I know the boy's mother tried to do the best she could but she should have asked the boy's father or if not available then an uncle or some such. Now none of what I said should be taken as anti gay since gay men are males too and must find their own wild man but just a gay version. I doubt the presumably fundamentalist Christians the auhor is talking about would be in favor of the fierceness of male spirituality of which I am speaking. Perhaps they just saw a young boy in a dress, perhaps they are anti gay. I can't say. But I do think the mother should have asked a trusted adult male what he thought about the costume.
Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 6:50PM #8
Iwantamotto
Posts: 8,070

One wonders if the poor kid'd get the same flak for wearing a Scooby Doo costume.  Does that means he likes dogs over people?  I mean, really, it's Halloween.  I thought it looked really good on him.  :)


This kid will probably end up going to conventions cosplaying.  I say go for it.


Palmtree0:  Oh, I agree..!! What mother could be so "hateful" to her son, and not have the common sense to say "NO" to her uneducated child. He's five..!! Of course he would not know why he shouldn't dress-up as Daphne..!! What a birdbrain this cute little boy has for a mom..!! Where is his DAD..??



I couldn't find in my little How to Do Halloween handbook where it says boys can't dress up as girls.  Costumes are, wait for it ...


COSTUMES!


One real fast way to teach this little boy how to hate, is to let him dress-up like a girl, and then send him out in public, to make a complete fool out of himself.



No, it teaches the kid that people will hate him for a harmless costume choice on a holiday ABOUT being someone else for a night.  He'll learn about hate, but it'll be coming from others.  Like I said, the kid could end up cosplaying for a living.  There can be money in that.


Thomas A Quinas:  Regarding the article, none of the gossiping moms ever verbalized any worry that the five-year-old would turn out gay.



The bitterness implies that they thought he was already "contaminated".


bigbear6161:  One of the most telling thing is that the article was written by the mother. I doubt any father would encourage that costume not because of any anti- gay sentiment but simply because being a male is an important and deeply spiritual spect of one's life.



But, again, why the gender hang-up?  When kids dress up as Optimus Prime or whatever we don't go around saying they want to muck with the truck, y'know?  Dressing as Scooby Doo doesn't make people think he wants to sleep with a dog.  In my opinion, it speaks more of the discomfort with one's own gender to suggest a mere costume will somehow drop your genitals to the floor.  I mean, unless this is an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, dressing up does not equal really being that thing you dressed up as.


There is a uniqueness to being a male, and men are the best ones to teach a boy how to be a male.



And women must teach boys why Daddy shouldn't be treating Mommy like a piece of meat.  Won't kill the kid to walk in another's shoes, even if they are elongate women's legs artificially and optically so that men can oggle us better.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 10:33AM #9
Ed.W
Posts: 9,423

besides that Palm this is the biggest non story.


No one has called or implied that her kid is gay (other than the Mom herself). 


 It's like she woke up one morning and decided she wanted to tangle with somebody.


So she takes a pic of her kid, puts it on the internet and dares anyone to call him gay.  Since no one has,.. She just rants with the air.


Maybe she's just mad about the election.

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 12:28PM #10
Burnman
Posts: 3,266

Nov 5, 2010 -- 5:33PM, bigbear6161 wrote:

Look, I have nothing against gays and have spoke in favor of equal rights for gays both in the state and in the church. I have even stated my belief that there must be a sacramental homosexual option available in the church.




Yes, is called "celibacy".

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook