Page 26 of 28  •  Prev 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 12:38AM #251
Erey

Oct 21, 2010 -- 7:58PM, MilesB wrote:

Oct 21, 2010 -- 7:45PM, Erey wrote:

Oct 21, 2010 -- 7:42PM, Guessses wrote:

Oct 21, 2010 -- 7:26PM, Erey wrote:

MILES

Actually just a mild correction.  I do believe some gay people are that way  due to genetic programing, or at least it appears that way to me.  What I reject and where I differ with the prevailing wisdom is that ALL self-described GLB people are that way due to genetics.  Out of those that are not geneticaly that way they still might not have a choice.  They might be opperating out of some other facet of their history or psychology that makes it not a choice per-see.  I do believe that SOME gay people have made a choice.  To me it is outrageous to declare that gay people are allways 100% helpless in the face of being gay.    Even in those people that might fall under choice I really don't care.  I don't need to believe it is a helpless response to genetics to be accepting. 

Also, I vote moderately Republican - probably 60-70% in any given election.  I always have non republican candidates I vote for.  I don't believe in straight ticket - ever. 

Hi Erey,

For me, It's Outrageous to be Concerned whether it's a "choice" or "not". It should not matter! People are people, other people need to accept that.

Peace,

And I don't concern myself.  I don't judge homosexuality based on any genetic link.  However I do get a bit testy when people want to pressure me into saying it is 100% genetic and a choice is never made.

I wish I could see your body language Erey (Love the picture btw!) because I still feel the same way deep down you still think it's a choice. Or are you saying it's a choice to act on it? Either way, I see that choice aspect and no matter how it's cut, I can not fathom or understand why one would wish on another person to stay lonely/have no need for the love two people share over a lifetime. Even Paul made that declaration, though he argued for celibacy for all.

Well truth to tell I tend to bristle quite a bit at most genetic pronouncements.  people are more than the sum of their DNA.  Typically this has to do when abilities are discussed.  You are not good in math because you are not geneticaly programed that way, you have the selfish gene, you have fat genes.  Stuff like that would not bother me as much if people did not take it so seriously.  Also to me it always seemed a bit well - insulting to and emasuclating to imagine gay people are just without choice, victims of thier genetics. To believe that seems to me almost insulting to homosexual love affairs. Afterall, if they were not geneticaly gay they never would have fallen in love.    In addition, I by virtue of my gender tend to be a bit closer to lesbians than homosexual men - just a bit.  I can relate a bit better to the ladies.  I have known lesbians that I think were probably hatched that way. But I also know several other lesbians that appear to me to have made a choice.  It certainly does not seem to be hard wired.

So again, I will agree that some peopel are hatched gay, just not all. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 1:57AM #252
rabello

To say that homosexuality, like anything else -- creative genius, musical protegy, mathematical genius --, is "genetic" isn't to say that "it" is "in the genes," with the individual rendered "helpless to their genes" or a "victim of their genes," unless, of course, one is talking about a disease that really is caused by a gene, like Tay Sachs or Sickle Cell Anemia.   Even then, a geneticist, or physiologist would not use terms like "victim" or "helpless," although such a judgement could seem more appropriate in cases like that.

A geneticist, or physiologist merely would say:

He/she IS  the person he/she was born to be, however it happened to come about.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 3:25AM #253
Yavanna

FYI folks, hermaphrodite is considered a durogatory and outdated term. The correct and appropriate word is "intersex". The word "Transgender" is also applicable in this cases.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 12:24PM #254
whirlgirl

EREY says--

"Well truth to tell I tend to bristle quite a bit at most genetic pronouncements"

Yeah--who needs those pesky scientific facts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 12:37PM #255
Christianlib

What Evangelical Jim Wallis has to say about it.

THE LINK.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 12:40PM #256
Girlchristian

Oct 22, 2010 -- 12:37PM, Christianlib wrote:

THE LINK.

Good article, CL. I wore purple on Wednesday.

1. If there is a kid on the playground that nobody else is playing with -- you play with them.
  2. If there is a bully picking on other kids -- you be the one to stand up to him or her.

My parents taught me the same thing, although to number 2, I was also told to never throw a punch first to meet that goal, but if a punch was thrown then I could and should protect myself or the one being bullied. In fact, my parents made it clear that if a fight happened they would have my back, unless I threw the first punch and then they were going to let me take whatever punishment the school handed down.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 12:57PM #257
Christianlib

Oct 22, 2010 -- 12:40PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Oct 22, 2010 -- 12:37PM, Christianlib wrote:

THE LINK.

Good article, CL. I wore purple on Wednesday.

1. If there is a kid on the playground that nobody else is playing with -- you play with them.
  2. If there is a bully picking on other kids -- you be the one to stand up to him or her.

My parents taught me the same thing, although to number 2, I was also told to never throw a punch first to meet that goal, but if a punch was thrown then I could and should protect myself or the one being bullied. In fact, my parents made it clear that if a fight happened they would have my back, unless I threw the first punch and then they were going to let me take whatever punishment the school handed down.

My Dad's teaching was:  "Never start a fight.  But never run from one."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 1:43PM #258
whirlgirl

I noticed on Wednesday that a number of tv people like reporters and news readers wore purple.

Also noted that at the numerous political and school board type meetings that were held in our area that day most of the public figures did wear purple--but the audiences--which tended to be of the more mature age range--did not.

I suspect that they probably do not do much on the internet and so they did not know about it.

Anybody else notice this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 1:50PM #259
Iwantamotto

Yavanna:  FYI folks, hermaphrodite is considered a durogatory and outdated term. The correct and appropriate word is "intersex". The word "Transgender" is also applicable in this cases.

It's an insult to be named after deities?  O_O  Man, I'm out of the loop.  Still think it sounds cooler.  "Intersex" sounds more like a company name or something.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 2:34PM #260
Erey

Oct 22, 2010 -- 1:50PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Yavanna:  FYI folks, hermaphrodite is considered a durogatory and outdated term. The correct and appropriate word is "intersex". The word "Transgender" is also applicable in this cases.

It's an insult to be named after deities?  O_O  Man, I'm out of the loop.  Still think it sounds cooler.  "Intersex" sounds more like a company name or something.

I agree a company or a techno band.  I don't believe I am aquainted with any hermaphodites although I could be wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 26 of 28  •  Prev 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook