Page 4 of 15  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View On the road to Ex-homophobia
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 10:13PM #31
REteach
As long as it is simply personal discipline and not misinterpreting something in the Bible.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 11:06PM #32
SquirleyWurley

The personal discipline does relate to what is in the Bible.  I don't want to be a slave to my flesh, and I don't want to encourage lust.  When I saw myself caving into masturbation I saw that it was doing one and/or the other.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 7:56AM #33
darcamani

SW, why do you think you are a "slave" to your flesh?

You are Flesh!   You have to eat and breathe and pee and poop, talk about a slave!  If none of these work, you die. we all die.   We are supposed to live and die.   You stop peeing and pooping and have no libido? Guess what?

Dead.

Created perfectly.

If all you think about is jagging off, that may be a problem, jesus can't help you there.

Get your hands out of your pants for a moment,  enjoy when you need to, it is a gift.  If masturbation consumes you and takes up your day, seek real live help, otherwise enjoy your minute.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 7:56AM #34
REteach
I am sorry you feel slave to the gift you got from God.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 8:24AM #35
darcamani

I hear ya RE,

Slave to God?  God needs slaves?

We are all here.

Have bodies. If these bodies of ours work, YEA! 

I deal with this every day.

I wake up and do a body check. I have to, some take their bodies for granted. some freak out. I am simply happy I am still breathing.

My DR. always does a "brain check". If that is still up and running, the rest is easy. And he always prescribes a dose of humor.  it is free!

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2010 - 9:38AM #36
REteach
Our bodies, our senses, are amazing gifts from God.  We could have been made to procreate without pleasure, but we were given pleasure.  We could have been made to only have sexual desires in season, but we were created with the ability to enjoy sex all month. The clitoris for example is the only organ which serves no purpose other than pleasure. 

This is not to say we cannot overdo.  One can enjoy food without needing to overeat.  One can also discipline oneself over food to the point of anorexia and death.  There should be a happy medium between gorging and self starvation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2010 - 12:44AM #37
SquirleyWurley

Nov 1, 2010 -- 7:56AM, darcamani wrote:

SW, why do you think you are a "slave" to your flesh?

Well if I ask myself "why did I have trouble refraining from masturbation", I have trouble answering the question.  In scripture there is talk about not being a slave to sin, not being a slave to the flesh.

Sometimes I act like a slave to coffee.

I apparently don't mind much being a bit of a slave to coffee.  But there is a budget.  Without a budget, I might be more of a slave to coffee than would really make much sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2010 - 3:48AM #38
Yavanna

So it's okay to be a slave to coffee, but not your penis?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2010 - 8:24AM #39
darcamani

Referring to ones self as a "slave" to a thing, (penis, coffee)  or an idea is talking about addiction.

That has nothing to do with a healthy undertanding of very natural human sexuality.

And has nothing to do with growing up and out of an irrational fear of homosexual human beings.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2010 - 3:04PM #40
SquirleyWurley

It's not ok for me to be a slave to coffee.  At some point I am a slave, I am a glutton or a gourmet wasting God's resources, being a bad steward of the money and time that God has given me, abusing my body (getting irritable or having trouble sleeping because of too much caffeine).

Where I say 'slave' you can replace that with ideas having to do with being compulsive or unthinkingly reacting.  There are degrees of unthinking reaction or compulsiveness.  Why is it difficult to cut back on habitual indulgences?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 15  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook