Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View And the BIGOTRY continues
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 3:40PM #1
Guessses

Montana GOP policy: Make homosexuality illegal

HELENA, Mont. – At a time when gays have been gaining victories across the country, the Republican Partyin Montana still wants to make homosexuality illegal.

The party adopted an official platform in June that keeps a long-held position in support of making homosexual acts illegal, a policy adopted after the Montana Supreme Court struck down such laws in 1997.

The fact that it's still the official party policy more than 12 years later, despite a tidal shift in public attitudes since then and the party's own pledge of support for individual freedoms, has exasperated some GOPmembers.

"I looked at that and said, 'You've got to be kidding me,'" state Sen. John Brueggeman, R-Polson, said last week. "Should it get taken out? Absolutely. Does anybody think we should be arresting homosexual people? If you take that stand, you really probably shouldn't be in the Republican Party."

Gay rights have been rapidly advancing nationwide since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Texas' sodomy law in 2003's Lawrence v. Texas decision. Gay marriage is now allowed in five states and Washington, D.C., a federal court recently ruled the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy unconstitutional, and even a conservative tea party group in Montana ousted its president over an anti-gay exchange in Facebook.

But going against the grain is the Montana GOP statement, which falls under the "Crime" section of the GOPplatform. It states: "We support the clear will of the people of Montana expressed by legislation to keep homosexual acts illegal."

Montana GOP executive director Bowen Greenwood said that has been the position of the party since the state Supreme Court struck down state laws criminalizing homosexuality in 1997 in the case of Gryczan v. Montana.

Nobody has ever taken the initiative to change it and so it's remained in the party platform, Greenwood said. The matter has never even come up for discussion, he said.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_in_montana

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 3:49PM #2
Weepingangelofthetrees

One wonders how many closet gays are in the Republican party? Wink
The best revenge for a bigot, is they live in a world surrounded by those that they can't stand. In the case of the GOP, that's compounded by the fact that the Constitution and bold well funded activist groups have the funds, to take them to court and educate Republican homophobic lawmakers on the meaning of "Inalienable"

I remember when Bush43 was in office and the tee shirt that I still have that was being marketed at the time, given the Bush administrations attitude against gay rights;
"I Support Gay Equal rights!So that Dick's Gay Daughter can be openly friendly with Newts Sister! "
It went over rather well, at the Republican National Convention. Tongue out

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 3:57PM #3
Guessses

I have a friend who is a "1 issue voter" (gay rights), I almost envy him.

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 4:01PM #4
Christianlib

Bigots seem to always claim that their bigotry isn't really bigotry, but "the way society is."

If they are right, all that means is that society is bigoted.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 4:19PM #5
Guessses

Sep 18, 2010 -- 4:01PM, Christianlib wrote:

Bigots seem to always claim that their bigotry isn't really bigotry, but "the way society is."

For those that make this claim, "IF" my Great Grandfather (the devout Catholic-bigot) had his way, women and minorities would still not be allowed to vote!

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 6:57PM #6
IDBC

Details Details Details.  

Is being a homosexual going to be illegal or is engaging in homosexual acts illegal?

Is extra special birthday sex between a husband and wife included?

Are four eyewitnesses going to be required to convict? 

And what will be the punishment?

Shall it be stoning or throwing the offenders of a high building? 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 7:05PM #7
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 18, 2010 -- 6:57PM, IDBC wrote:

Details Details Details.  

Is being a homosexual going to be illegal or is engaging in homosexual acts illegal?

Is extra special birthday sex between a husband and wife included?

Are four eyewitnesses going to be required to convict? 

And what will be the punishment?

Shall it be stoning or throwing the offenders of a high building? 

There are a lot of bigots that stand behind their partisan values, combined with religous in many cases, so as to deflect responsibility for their choosing to be a bigot. As in, it's not me, it's in the word of god (pick a holy text) . Or, it's not me, it's a Democratic or Republican value system that has led this country since...

After all these years we still have yet to learn, we can not legislate common sense, morality or decency. But we can certainly look ridiculous, trying to!

These are enough to give any political activist nightmares.

Big Government. Small Brains. Dumb Laws.

Tennessee: You can’t shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.

Oregon: Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car. (See? Talk about inspiration for ingenuity! This law is why we created ... mud flaps! Wink)

Montana: It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperon. 

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 7:26PM #8
Ebon

There's a certain faction of modern conservative politics which seems to consist of expecting politicians to reflect and legitimise one's own prejudices.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 7:44PM #9
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 18, 2010 -- 7:26PM, Ebon wrote:

There's a certain faction of modern conservative politics which seems to consist of expecting politicians to reflect and legitimise one's own prejudices.

There's a certain faction of modern conservative politicians that legislate prejudice, because they're lobbied by special interests, that ask it of them.

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 12:24PM #10
Sirronrex

Sep 18, 2010 -- 4:01PM, Christianlib wrote:

Our society is bigoted and that is primarily because of the Christian religion and the bigotry it instills and cultivates.

Christians, however, always claim the bigotry their religion instills and cultivates isn't really bigotry, but "the way their religion is". They are right and that means their religion is bigoted.

But they will still continue to deny it and perceive it as something else...something that is not what it is...they will deny it until it is something that is not bigotry in their minds. some go so far as to perceive the bigotry instilled and cultivated by the Christian religion as "love". But that, too, is just another example of the depths of the rot and decay festering in the Christian religion.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook