Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Montana GOP Policy: Make Homosexuality Illegal
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2010 - 2:26AM #21
mytmouse57

Sep 18, 2010 -- 6:10PM, solfeggio wrote:

It's not just Montana.  A moment of Googling produced this:

gayrights.change.org/blog/view/the_texas...

The Texas GOP wants to punish straight people who support gay rights!!!

But, getting back to Montana, it seems that it has the worst record where drunken drivers are concerned:

www.forbes.com/2008/11/20/driving-drunk-...

As well, the Montana tea party president found the murder of Matthew Shepard amusing:

discardedlies.com/entry/?56024_montana-t...-

Oh, and they've got the worst record for putting mentally ill people in jail instead of hospitals:

books.google.co.nz/books?id=kR_t_xV5RJIC...

This state seems like a real piece of work.

Hey, watch it now, that's my home state you're talking about.

Seriously, Solf, most people in Montana don't care what side of the bread you put your butter on, so to speak.

There is a large undercurrent of resentment against too much federal "control" -- but that's seen throughout the West -- where people tend to favor a do-it-yourself approach to things. Again, most Montanans don't give a flying rat's hind-end who other people might have sex with. But, wildlife and land-managment issues -- such as the decision in the mid-1990s to re-introduce wolves? LOL... talk about a sh*t storm of negative public opinon!

As for the chief tea-party member saying what he said on Facebook. Well, there's idiots everywhere. I really don't think most people in Montana would find anything even remotely funny about Shepard's murder.

And the other things? Well, drunk driving enforcement doesn't lag in Montana, but the punishment for it seems to. Many multiple offenders seem to be able to keep their license and driving privledges. But from what I can tell, the Montana public is getting really fed up with that.

Sticking mentally ill people in jail probably has to do with what is called an involentary holding -- when a person is determined to be a danger to themselves or others -- and is taken into temporary protective custody. Every state has such statues.

What I think is not being mentioned here is that in tiny backwater towns in Montana, there might not be a certified mental hospital right at hand. Sure, there's one in Billings, for example. But, Montana is several times larger than some European countries, so a six-hour trip to the nearest mental hospital might not really be an option. Especially in the middle of winter, when it's 15 degrees below zero and snowing like hell. So, sometimes, the only other option is to put the person in the county jail.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2010 - 1:09PM #22
teilhard

"Homo-Sexuality" is like "Abortion," i.e., a Cynical Political Device to whip-up FEELINGS and SUPPORTERS ...

Sep 18, 2010 -- 2:04PM, Gwyddion9 wrote:

Yep, that's right , Montana GOP policy: Make homosexuality illegal.

Sometimes I really do not understand the GOP nor do I want to understand stupidity like this.

I was amazed that the "party of keeping government out of peoples lives" would even suggest something like this but then again, when they're trying to suck up to the religious right, nothing surprises me anymore. Apparently the GOP is so desparate that they'll try anything if it will get them votes.

Link: 

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_in_montana

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2010 - 2:43PM #23
mytmouse57

Sex laws in general are stupid, out-dated, unfair and unenforcable.

As with anything, everybody isn't going to agree with the choices being made, but everybody should support freedom of choice.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as it doesn't involve forcing somebody against their will, molesting children or abusing animals, people should be legally free to do what they want and with who they want to do it with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2010 - 2:55PM #24
Guessses

Sep 19, 2010 -- 2:43PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Sex laws in general are stupid, out-dated, unfair and unenforcable.

As with anything, everybody isn't going to agree with the choices being made, but everybody should support freedom of choice.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as it doesn't involve forcing somebody against their will, molesting children or abusing animals, people should be legally free to do what they want and with who they want to do it with.

While I agree, it is the intent (in this case) that is the issue. The case that finally got Texas to repeal it's sodomy law only happened within the last decade or so and was one where there were actual defendants. Police broke in on partners in the act (supposedly for other reasons).

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2010 - 3:07PM #25
SatanicStalker

Sep 19, 2010 -- 2:26AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Seriously, Solf, most people in Montana don't care what side of the bread you put your butter on, so to speak.

There is a large undercurrent of resentment against too much federal "control" -- but that's seen throughout the West -- where people tend to favor a do-it-yourself approach to things. Again, most Montanans don't give a flying rat's hind-end who other people might have sex with. But, wildlife and land-managment issues -- such as the decision in the mid-1990s to re-introduce wolves? LOL... talk about a sh*t storm of negative public opinon!

As for the chief tea-party member saying what he said on Facebook. Well, there's idiots everywhere. I really don't think most people in Montana would find anything even remotely funny about Shepard's murder.

And the other things? Well, drunk driving enforcement doesn't lag in Montana, but the punishment for it seems to. Many multiple offenders seem to be able to keep their license and driving privledges. But from what I can tell, the Montana public is getting really fed up with that.

Sticking mentally ill people in jail probably has to do with what is called an involentary holding -- when a person is determined to be a danger to themselves or others -- and is taken into temporary protective custody. Every state has such statues.

What I think is not being mentioned here is that in tiny backwater towns in Montana, there might not be a certified mental hospital right at hand. Sure, there's one in Billings, for example. But, Montana is several times larger than some European countries, so a six-hour trip to the nearest mental hospital might not really be an option. Especially in the middle of winter, when it's 15 degrees below zero and snowing like hell. So, sometimes, the only other option is to put the person in the county jail.

Agreed. We have our share of whackos like anywhere, but Montana is still the only place I want to live and raise a family. Both my county and the neighboring county where my family lives voted for Obama and tend toward the liberal side, so I really don't worry about this sort of a crazy fringe proposal ever actually going through... it just makes it easier for us liberals to get people elected, when the opposition is so far off the map. Not to mention we have the very best in gun laws and a refreshing lack of sales tax.

I'm living in another state for a year for school, and I miss home like nobody's business. 

~Stalker

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 12:24AM #26
mytmouse57

Sep 19, 2010 -- 3:07PM, SatanicStalker wrote:

Sep 19, 2010 -- 2:26AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Agreed. We have our share of whackos like anywhere, but Montana is still the only place I want to live and raise a family. Both my county and the neighboring county where my family lives voted for Obama and tend toward the liberal side, so I really don't worry about this sort of a crazy fringe proposal ever actually going through... it just makes it easier for us liberals to get people elected, when the opposition is so far off the map. Not to mention we have the very best in gun laws and a refreshing lack of sales tax.

I'm living in another state for a year for school, and I miss home like nobody's business. 

~Stalker

I've been trying to get back to Montana since I left in 1996. I was in Idaho from '96 until late 2004 -- and have been in Wyoming since then. Not sure when I'll ever move back to Montana, if ever -- my wife's family is pretty deeply rooted in Wyoming. Plus, I can't complain, the outdoor opportunties here are top notch.

We still visit Montana frequently. I've got good friends there from my college days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2010 - 4:56PM #27
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook