Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Should Female Sports Reporter Have to Be Less Sexy?
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 4:10PM #31
appy20

Sep 15, 2010 -- 4:03PM, mainecaptain wrote:

What I do not understand, is why would a reporter dress sexy in the first place?

I would not dress sexy at work, and being a reporter is work (is a job), unless your job involves sex, why would you dress sexy?

Maybe I am naive, but it makes no sense to me.

I think that some women define the essence of their soul according to how much arousal they can elicit from men.  I am not criticizing it.  To some people, sex is art and their primary focus in life.  It is who they are. It is their personal style.   It doesn't bother me. I have worked with people like that. I once managed an employee like this and my superiors were constantly on my back to deal with her.  Since, we did have a dress code, I did have to address it.  It never offended me personally.  Ironically, the people who complained the most from the public were old men.  There were no complaints about this woman's dress from women. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 4:10PM #32
MMarcoe

Sep 15, 2010 -- 4:03PM, mainecaptain wrote:

What I do not understand, is why would a reporter dress sexy in the first place?

I would not dress sexy at work, and being a reporter is work (is a job), unless your job involves sex, why would you dress sexy?

Maybe I am naive, but it makes no sense to me.

This woman probably thinks that by promoting the goods, ahem ahem, she can get ahead in her career. She's hoping for an advantage.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 4:11PM #33
MMarcoe

Sep 15, 2010 -- 3:02PM, Erey wrote:

It appears that this particular reporter doesn't see a problem - if it is not a problem for her then who has the problem?

Who has the problem? For starters, anyone who's naked in front of her. And second, anyone who can see her intentions for what they are.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 4:50PM #34
Girlchristian

Sep 15, 2010 -- 3:52PM, appy20 wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 3:44PM, 00_Sunset_00 wrote:

From what I hear Sainz has downplayed to events in question. It seems that other females have been the ones that have been most outspoken about the harassment. One reporter said that she should "dress the part". Jealous much?

I don't think they are because most of them are as pretty as she is and could dress like that if they wanted to. You pretty much aren't allowed in media today, especially televised, unless you can hold your own in the looks department.  One of the reasons I love being ugly is that I don't have to put up with crap like that.  I would find it degrading. Last week a guy told me I looked nice that day and I felt degraded.  Made sure I didn't wear that again.  I threw the outfit away.  I respect her right to feel differently.  If it doesn't bother her, it really shouldn't bother anyone else.  

Women are always going to differ on this point.  Some women put all their value in how they appeal to men and some do not.  I think people should just leave each other be unless it is necessary.  As I have said, your rights end at the tip of my nose.  Mine end at the tip of yours.

Some women do put all their value in how they appeal to men. Many of us judge our own value by who we are, how we act, and our intelligence and are also quite capable of valuing our appearance, which includes being flattered when a man or woman says we look nice. No offense to you Appy, but I can't understand why having a man say "you look nice today" would be degrading to anyone.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 4:58PM #35
appy20

Sep 15, 2010 -- 4:50PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 3:52PM, appy20 wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 3:44PM, 00_Sunset_00 wrote:

From what I hear Sainz has downplayed to events in question. It seems that other females have been the ones that have been most outspoken about the harassment. One reporter said that she should "dress the part". Jealous much?

I don't think they are because most of them are as pretty as she is and could dress like that if they wanted to. You pretty much aren't allowed in media today, especially televised, unless you can hold your own in the looks department.  One of the reasons I love being ugly is that I don't have to put up with crap like that.  I would find it degrading. Last week a guy told me I looked nice that day and I felt degraded.  Made sure I didn't wear that again.  I threw the outfit away.  I respect her right to feel differently.  If it doesn't bother her, it really shouldn't bother anyone else.  

Women are always going to differ on this point.  Some women put all their value in how they appeal to men and some do not.  I think people should just leave each other be unless it is necessary.  As I have said, your rights end at the tip of my nose.  Mine end at the tip of yours.

Some women do put all their value in how they appeal to men. Many of us judge our own value by who we are, how we act, and our intelligence and are also quite capable of valuing our appearance, which includes being flattered when a man or woman says we look nice. No offense to you Appy, but I can't understand why having a man say "you look nice today" would be degrading to anyone.

I detest the expectation that women look good.  It irks me.  I hate clothes. I hate makeup.  I hate doing my hair.  I don't solicit opinions on how I look and would prefer that others did not. I realize that isn't possible so I smile and say thank you because I do have basic social skills but I don't wear the outfit again.  I don't need affirmation for how I look and I get tired of the critiquing. I have always gotten an inordinate amount of critiquing--both positive and negative. I don't like any of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 4:59PM #36
Christianlib

Sep 15, 2010 -- 4:11PM, MMarcoe wrote:

It appears that this particular reporter doesn't see a problem - if it is not a problem for her then who has the problem?

Who has the problem? For starters, anyone who's naked in front of her. And second, anyone who can see her intentions for what they are.

Fame is the coin of the realm in media careers.  And she's sure a lot more famous today than she was last week, isn't she?

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 5:01PM #37
appy20

Sep 15, 2010 -- 4:59PM, Christianlib wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 4:11PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Fame is the coin of the realm in media careers.  And she's sure a lot more famous today than she was last week, isn't she?

I don't think she can be blamed for that.  She didn't invent the rules so she may as well profit from them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 5:04PM #38
Christianlib

Oh, appy, I'm not blaming her a bit.

Just observing the reality.

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 5:11PM #39
appy20

Sep 15, 2010 -- 5:04PM, Christianlib wrote:

Oh, appy, I'm not blaming her a bit.

Just observing the reality.

Some folks blame her.  I didn't mean you, specifically, even though I was answering your post sorry.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 5:19PM #40
Christianlib

No offense taken.  Just clarifying for other readers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook