Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Should Female Sports Reporter Have to Be Less Sexy?
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 9:44AM #11
CharikIeia

Sep 15, 2010 -- 8:56AM, appy20 wrote:

Sep 14, 2010 -- 10:55PM, greenponder wrote:

The real question is: If female reporters are allowed in men's locker rooms, why aren't male reporters allowed in women's locker rooms?

I think that is a good point.

Really? The obvious answer is that female nudity is a key stimulus for male sexual instinct, while male nudity is not a key stimulus for female sexual instinct.

That's also why the girl in question is not so negative about the body contact she received, I guess.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 10:00AM #12
dblad

Sep 14, 2010 -- 10:18PM, Girlchristian wrote:

For those of you that haven't heard, the NY Jets reportedly had an incident with Sports Reporter Inez Sainz that included cat-calling, inappropriate antics, and purposely throwing the football near the reporter.

hopeanchor.com/ny-jets-reporter-ines-sai...

Ines was at the Jets practice facility to do a story on Mark Sanchez when she was the subject of catcalls and stereo typically borish behavior. When Sainz was in the locker room when reports indicate that some members of the team had done some antics towards the reporter. The incident caught the attention of the NFL front office which is reportedly investigating along with the team.

It was also reported that the defensive coach David Thurman encouraged players to purposely throw passes during drills in Sainz’ directions so it would end up next to her on the sidelines.

Sainz was interviewed about the situation, sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corne....

Some folks are saying that she was "asking for it" simply because she dresses in a manner that accents her figure. Others are saying that no matter how she dresses, she should be respected as a legit sports reporter (she's been doing this for 6 years) and as a professional. What she wore when she visited the team was a white shirt (that does appear to show some cleavage), jeans, and boots.

Does anyone really believe that because a woman is "sexy" she deserves harassment? Should she be forced to dress in a manner that fully covers and hides her assets just to avoid harassment?

I guess womens dress depends on where one is from... or their belief system... e.g.,

1. Clothing must cover the entire body, only the hands and face may remain visible (According to some Fiqh Schools).
  2. The material must not be so thin that one can see through it.
  3. The clothing must hang loose so that the shape of the body is not apparent.
  4. The female clothing must not resemble the man's clothing.
  5. The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non-believing women.
  6. The design must not consist of bold designs which attract attention.
  7. Clothing should not be worn for the sole purpose of gaining reputation or increasing one's status in society.

The reason for this strictness is so that the woman is protected from the lustful gaze of men. She should not attract attention to herself in any way. It is permissible for a man to catch the eye of a woman, however it is haram (unlawful) for a man to look twice as this encourages lustful thoughts.

Islam protects the woman; it is for this reason that Allah gave these laws.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 10:07AM #13
dblad

And in some Christian circles here is the dress code for women...

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel…” The word “modest” is defined in Collin’s English Dictionary as: 1. having or expressing a humble opinion of oneself or one’s accomplishments or abilities; 2. reserved or shy; 3. not ostentatious or pretentious; 4. not extreme or excessive, moderate; 5. decorous or decent. Therefore, God expects a woman to dress in a proper, well-mannered fashion—certainly not in a provocative, outlandish or excessive way. Christians are to be examples to those around them, living the pages of the Bible for those who never read them. Their appearance and actions should exude stability and good judgment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 10:39AM #14
Marcion

As long as they are knowledgeable in the sport, who cares what they look like.

Cheerleaders have to be sexy by definition.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 10:42AM #15
Marcion

Sep 14, 2010 -- 11:47PM, arielg wrote:

What on earth is a woman doing in a men's locker room full of athlete's testosterone?

If she is a lesbian what does the level of testosterone matter? She's just another one of the guys.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 12:16PM #16
appy20

Sep 15, 2010 -- 9:44AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 8:56AM, appy20 wrote:

Sep 14, 2010 -- 10:55PM, greenponder wrote:

The real question is: If female reporters are allowed in men's locker rooms, why aren't male reporters allowed in women's locker rooms?

I think that is a good point.

Really? The obvious answer is that female nudity is a key stimulus for male sexual instinct, while male nudity is not a key stimulus for female sexual instinct.

That's also why the girl in question is not so negative about the body contact she received, I guess.

I agree with that except logically, you can't have it both ways.  If a woman's nudity is so provocative that male reporters cannot be in female athlete's locker room then clothing on a female reporter that reveals too much cleavage and butt shape is also too provocative for her to be in the male's locker room.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 12:31PM #17
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 15, 2010 -- 9:24AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 12:04AM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

She makes her living marketing herself! She's getting paid for the image that makes her hot ticket in the ratings. If she dressed like a schoolmarm, we wouldn't be reading about this .

No one needs to worry about how she feels hearing what she's soliciting, when she markets sex and then gets called on it. She says she's not going to change her manner of dress, it's the reactions she get's (and solicits) that need to change?! Why does anyone have to change how they react, to her perception and then choice of what a female professional sports reporter dresses like!? Especially when she chooses to walk into a men's locker room, dressed in skin tight jeans and a low cut blouse thinking what?! They're not going to notice or dare say anything? They're athletes and they get crude. That's why women weren't allowed in the locker room before. The atmosphere isn't exactly lady like.

I'd like to see the table turn and have the players jeer and tell her to cover up, next game that she attends as a reporter. Just as a study in double standards, and to see what she,  the women's groups and media would say about that.

If she wants to be taken as a professional in professional sports, she shouldn't dress like a groupie.

So because a woman wears a shirt that shows some cleavage and jeans that actually fit her body she should expect to be harassed?

Harassment:

verb (used with object)
to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.
to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc., as in war or hostilities; harry; raid.

When the woman in question says she wasn't harassed, as the object of the attention, it's her business. Third parties, like the women's group that threw in on this, are acting on conjecture.

When this reporter dressed provocatively, she dressed to feel sexy. When that's noticed, by cat calls, as she enters a locker room where men are entitled to be exposed because it's a locker room, she's entering an atmosphere where aggressive physical athletes are in a wholly different state of mind, than that afforded conservative mores.
Cat calls, whistles, aren't harassing to her per her personal judgment, the projection by others seeking to get ink/headlines, and big cash for law suits using her as a pivot, is disingenuous and predatory.

It's a matter of perception. We're a visually biased society. I use to be an assistant for an independent professional sports photographer, and accompanied her to professional wrestling matches so that I could make contacts when I extended my massage therapy practice to include sports massage.
I saw the differences in perspective, between the professional athletes there and how they perceived the women in their circle.
Those who dressed like groupies, were treated like groupies. When they packaged what they had to draw attentions to what they were offering, it was noticed.

When someone dressed professionally, like my friend and I did, we were treated with respect, because while they knew her as the photographer that accompanied them on the road, they didn't know me. But on sight, they knew, I wasn't there in any capacity but as an assistant. And they acted with respect. No cat calls, no rude behavior.

That reporter wasn't asking for the cat calls, etc... But she dressed to evoke them. If she was a prude, she wouldn't pose so provocatively selling herself as a sex object.  I've seen what she markets of her self image. She chooses to market and sell sexual innuendo.  She can't be surprised when athletes in their sanctuary, the locker room, and on the practice field, buy it.
And she wasn't, because she's not suing the Jets or the League and she said she didn't feel sexually harassed. End of story.

Reporter says she won't sue the Jets or the league (LINK)

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 12:59PM #18
MMarcoe

Sep 14, 2010 -- 10:18PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Does anyone really believe that because a woman is "sexy" she deserves harassment?

No, not at all.

Should she be forced to dress in a manner that fully covers and hides her assets just to avoid harassment?

No, not to avoid harassment, but she should dress like a professional reporter.

I think it's all cut and dried. If you're a reporter, dress professionally. If you're a woman, stay out of the men's locker room. If you're a man, stay out of the women's locker room.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 1:06PM #19
Ebon

Sep 15, 2010 -- 9:25AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Well, the feminist response would be that she should be allowed to do the same things a male sports reporter is allowed to do. However, males aren't allowed in female locker rooms and I see no reason a woman should be allowed in men's locker rooms.

I agree with this. Fair's fair, keep men out of women's locker rooms and women out of men's locker rooms.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 1:10PM #20
appy20

Sep 15, 2010 -- 1:06PM, Ebon wrote:

Sep 15, 2010 -- 9:25AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Well, the feminist response would be that she should be allowed to do the same things a male sports reporter is allowed to do. However, males aren't allowed in female locker rooms and I see no reason a woman should be allowed in men's locker rooms.

I agree with this. Fair's fair, keep men out of women's locker rooms and women out of men's locker rooms.

Except that gives male reporters an edge because most sports are male dominated and a lot of news stories break in locker rooms.  Female reporters have traditionally complained that they are excluded from top stories if they are not allowed in locker rooms.

The answer may be either to ban all reporters from all locker rooms.  We don't allow the Paparazzi into celebrities bathrooms while they change clothes either.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook