Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next
Switch to Forum Live View DADT Ruled Unconstitutional
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:16PM #1
Sirronrex

A federal judge in Southern California on Thursday, Sept 9, 2010, declared the U.S. military's ban on openly gay service members unconstitutional because it violates the First Amendment rights of gay and lesbians.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Sep 24, 2010 - 02:16PM

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:50PM #2
Girlchristian

Good, Clinton should have never signed it into law in the first place.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:53PM #3
teilhard

William Jefferson "Slick Willie" Clinton's Presidency will go down in History as WAAAAY less than "stellar," shall we say ... ???

Sep 10, 2010 -- 12:50PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:58PM #4
Guessses

Sep 10, 2010 -- 12:16PM, Sirronrex wrote:

A federal judge in Southern California on Thursday, Sept 9, 2010, declared the U.S. military's ban on openly gay service members unconstitutional because it violates the First Amendment rights of gay and lesbians.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/...

Quite true. However, being a former "lifer-dog Military", I'd like to point out a few things. Background: I was in the Military in 1980 before DADT and just got out three weeks ago.

1. The difference, under DADT there were (believe it or not) "protections". You could NOT get discharged for walking into an "Alternative Life style" bar, and your accuser had to have "proof". Basically, "what you did off base, with non-service members, was off-limits".

2.Unfortunate, but true, as a Service Member it is understood that you give up certain basic rights. Such as, can you protest? Yes, but not in uniform. Can you date? Yes, but not someone in your own unit or chain of command. 

While my life-partner couldn't attend base functions, who said he wanted too?

Peace,

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Sep 24, 2010 - 02:24PM
Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 1:30PM #5
REteach

Slowly but surely we creep toward the acknowledgment of human rights for everyone.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 2:03PM #6
Sirronrex

You can attempt to blame Bill Clinton all you want.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Sep 24, 2010 - 02:26PM

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 2:09PM #7
teilhard

During The Campaign, "Slick Willie" promised to ABOLISH anti-Gay Discrimination in The Military ...

Following The DADT debacle, MORE Gay and Lesbian Service Members were "outed" and ousted than before ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 2:12PM #8
Girlchristian

Sep 10, 2010 -- 2:03PM, Sirronrex wrote:

You can attempt to blame Bill Clinton all you want.

No matter who was behind it's creation, Clinton is responsible for making it law. To deny that is ignoring the facts.

Even Clinton has said he shouldn't have signed it.

I should add that I don't now, nor have I ever supported DADT. It's a stupid rule.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Sep 24, 2010 - 02:27PM
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 2:30PM #9
Guessses

Sep 10, 2010 -- 2:09PM, teilhard wrote:

During The Campaign, "Slick Willie" promised to ABOLISH anti-Gay Discrimination in The Military ...

Following The DADT debacle, MORE Gay and Lesbian Service Members were "outed" and ousted than before ...

You are quite right, however, like in most things- there was a huge lack in knowledge of the regs.

"Homosexual Conduct is grounds for dismissal from the Armed Forces.Sexual orientation is a personal and private matter and is not a bar to service, unless there is homosexual conduct.The Army defines homosexual conduct in terms of Statement, Act, and Marriage (SAM).It is not Army policy to pry into the personal lives of its soldiers or to seek out homosexuals. The mere suspicion that someone is homosexual is not sufficient reason to discharge a soldier. The soldier needs to do or saysomething that constitutes a homosexual act. Saying you are a homosexual in order to evade your military obligationis also illegal. You should not engage in any "witch hunts"to expose homosexuals, or you may be the one who gets introuble instead of those whom you suspect. Have respectfor all soldiers and their right to privacy."

usmilitary.about.com/library/pdf/armyiet...

SGT, Honorably-Medically "retired".

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 3:05PM #10
Ceren

Sep 10, 2010 -- 2:30PM, Guessses wrote:

"Homosexual Conduct is grounds for dismissal from the Armed Forces.Sexual orientation is a personal and private matter and is not a bar to service, unless there is homosexual conduct.The Army defines homosexual conduct in terms of Statement, Act, and Marriage (SAM).It is not Army policy to pry into the personal lives of its soldiers or to seek out homosexuals. The mere suspicion that someone is homosexual is not sufficient reason to discharge a soldier. The soldier needs to do or saysomething that constitutes a homosexual act. Saying you are a homosexual in order to evade your military obligationis also illegal. You should not engage in any "witch hunts"to expose homosexuals, or you may be the one who gets introuble instead of those whom you suspect. Have respectfor all soldiers and their right to privacy."

usmilitary.about.com/library/pdf/armyiet...

Forgive me for my ignorance, but merely stating "I'm gay" constituted an homosexual conduct?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook