Page 1 of 18  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I don't protest funerals
4 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2010 - 4:01PM #1
SquirleyWurley

I thought I could make a thread where I'd hope we could all agree.  This thread is for anyone who can agree with me, that they don't protest funerals.  I mean, if I'm going to be obnoxious, why be obnoxious in that manner?  Let people grieve in peace, at least.

So again, I don't proteest funerals.  I'm not the sort of guy who holds up a sign saying homosexuality is a sin, etc., at a funeral for a gay person.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2010 - 4:04PM #2
SquirleyWurley

A relevant verse of Scripture, from many angles:

Luke 18:10-13 "Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man  went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one  that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself  shall be exalted."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2010 - 5:01PM #3
REteach

I don't either.  Actually I heard Matthew Shepard's mom say she thinks Fred Phelps is doing a lot to open minds by his overt hatred.  People stop and think.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 12:59PM #4
Sirronrex

Sep 7, 2010 -- 4:01PM, SquirleyWurley wrote:

I'm not the sort of guy who holds up a sign saying homosexuality is a sin, etc., at a funeral for a gay person.

So what? So you found common, ordinary, every day human decency.

Whoopie!

What do you want, Rocky? A medal for being a human being and possessing a trait the vast, vast, vast majority of human beings possess?

There are very few Fred Phelps' in the world, Rocky. Just because you don't bear a sign at a funeral telling us all what you really think, doesn't make you any less a prejudiced bigot than Fred Phelps. The fact that you believe the prejudiced, hateful tripe you believe regarding gay people is all that matters. Whether or not you hold up a sign so all can see means nothing. God knows the corruption and decay in your heart. That's the part you don't seem to comprehend...at all.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 1:35PM #5
SquirleyWurley

Tell me your responses to the passage I quoted from Jesus, how that applies to you, and I will do likewise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 1:44PM #6
REteach

Sep 8, 2010 -- 1:35PM, SquirleyWurley wrote:

Tell me your responses to the passage I quoted from Jesus, how that applies to you, and I will do likewise.

sigh.  I have to say that what I think first is of you, and others who call gays sinners.  It is one thing to call oneself a sinner, something entirely different to call others sinners.

How it applies to me in a single post? I don't donate enough time. I don't donate enough money.  I don't invite singles and the loney over for holiday dinners.  My patience often hangs by a thread.  I am selfish.  Is that enough for starters?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 5:18PM #7
SquirleyWurley

I don't protest funerals.  I try to communicate what I see in the Bible.  I live my life.  I try to speak the truth in love.  I pray, I try to abstain from lust or uncharitableness etc., in my heart or various other sins identified in the Bible.

When I am tempted by some sin identified in the Bible and dally with the temptation or cave in to the sin or encourage a sinful attitude even unintentionally, if I turn back to Jesus and ask forgiveness and ask for Grace to overcome sin, and see that sin has less hold on me, so that I am walking the strait and narrow, I need to remember:

Luke 17: "So likewise ye, when ye  shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are  unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

And again, I am a sinner, God have mercy upon me.

I cannot adequately share the Gospel without including repentance in the message.  To preach forgiveness of sin, I must acknowledge that there is sin, and though some sin is described well as "missing the mark" sin is also described well as wicked treason against God, willful rebellion, depravity.

And I am the sinner who needs God's grace.  That is why I need Jesus.

If someone does not think they need Jesus, does not think they are a sinner in need of a savior, does not think their sins are horrible crimes of treason and that Jesus died by crucifixion to pay for the consequences of deadly sin, what can I say, really?  if they are offended that I take sin seriously, and that I affirm what I see the Bible saying about sin, what can I say in reply, really?  I am that sinner, they deny they are that sinner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 6:18PM #8
REteach

It is one thing to share your personal story, and your beliefs that your actions are wrong. It is another thing altogether to assume that you are the gold standard. 

Clearly the RCC teaches, for example, that stealing is wrong. But it also teaches that means withholding from the poor is stealing as well, and that someone has an obligation to steal if that is necessary to maintain life. 

I personally believe God should hold me to a higher standard than others, because I have been given so much. To judge the life of another is to assume one has the same knowledge of that person that God does.  IMO, all we can truly do is judge by civil laws that are clearly spelled out an apply to everyone.  I doubt you would like to be under Sharia law.  Putting others under your understanding of God's law is no different.  Islam, for example, means surrender to God.  Those who apply Sharia are at least as firmly convinced that they are correctly interpreting God's wishes as you are.

This is what Jesus was talking about with planks and specks.  We all have enough imperfections that we can work to improve.  Taking time out from our own self-improvement projects to criticize others means we are not working on our own planks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 6:51PM #9
Sirronrex

Sep 8, 2010 -- 5:18PM, SquirleyWurley wrote:

I don't protest funerals.  I try to communicate what I see in the Bible.  I live my life.  I try to speak the truth in love.  I pray, I try to abstain from lust or uncharitableness etc., in my heart or various other sins identified in the Bible.

When I am tempted by some sin identified in the Bible and dally with the temptation or cave in to the sin or encourage a sinful attitude even unintentionally, if I turn back to Jesus and ask forgiveness and ask for Grace to overcome sin, and see that sin has less hold on me, so that I am walking the strait and narrow, I need to remember:

Luke 17: "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

And again, I am a sinner, God have mercy upon me.

I cannot adequately share the Gospel without including repentance in the message.  To preach forgiveness of sin, I must acknowledge that there is sin, and though some sin is described well as "missing the mark" sin is also described well as wicked treason against God, willful rebellion, depravity.

And I am the sinner who needs God's grace.  That is why I need Jesus.

If someone does not think they need Jesus, does not think they are a sinner in need of a savior, does not think their sins are horrible crimes of treason and that Jesus died by crucifixion to pay for the consequences of deadly sin, what can I say, really?  if they are offended that I take sin seriously, and that I affirm what I see the Bible saying about sin, what can I say in reply, really?  I am that sinner, they deny they are that sinner.

Boastful pride is a sin according to your silly little book.

This post of yours drips of boastful pride...for you sure are one person who is extremely proud to be a sinner.

I couldn't care less. Such ideas are useless fodder.

God is with us always.

Sin is what you use to separate yourself from God. I have no need for such a useless concept. I have the knowledge that I am never separate from God. Something you apparently do not comprehend.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 6:55PM #10
REteach

Sep 8, 2010 -- 6:51PM, Sirronrex wrote:

God is with us always.

Sin is what you use to separate yourself from God. I have no need for such a useless concept. I have the knowledge that I am never separate from God.

Yeah, me too. God is always there for me.  Even in my worst times, God was there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 18  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook