Page 16 of 18  •  Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I don't protest funerals
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 9:45PM #151
jonny42

Nov 17, 2010 -- 2:46AM, Yavanna wrote:

Nov 16, 2010 -- 9:27PM, jonny42 wrote:

Nov 16, 2010 -- 12:31AM, The_Maven wrote:

Acts is not Jesus. It’s that simple.

Acts is Jesus… in a spiritual sense.   The acts of the apostles is Jesus working through them, as he promised.   It is Jesus' power that heals the lame man, not the apostles' "ability."

It is not the message of Buddha or anyone else that changes people, it is the message of Jesus.

It is not for being a follower of Bob or Peter or Mary or Samantha… that Paul is put on trial for… but for being a follower of Jesus.

It is not their own strength that the apostles rely on, it is the strength of Jesus.

It is not Paul who commissions himself, it is Jesus.

It is not Moses whom Stephen sees at the right hand of God as he is being stoned, it is Jesus.

------------

Acts is simply about Jesus' followers testifying and serving in Jesus' name to glorify Jesus through Jesus' power.  Acts is Jesus.

I thought it was the Holy Spirit that worked through the Apostles to heal people?

Yes.  Jesus also said he would be in his followers.  Paul said he's able to do all things through Christ who gives him strength.   The Holy Spirit gives strength as well.   

How the Holy Spirit and the spirit of Jesus "work" through a person is not defined, but that they are both living within a Christian and active... is Biblical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 12:37PM #152
mainecaptain

Nov 17, 2010 -- 12:06PM, JCarlin wrote:

Nov 16, 2010 -- 11:00PM, SquirleyWurley wrote:

there is no reference to gay sex there [in Samuel].

1 Samuel 20:41 ...and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded. 

They will refuse to accept it. Fancy their own book condoning gay relationships, what would they have to rail against? Who could they hate next?

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 2:57AM #153
Yavanna

Nov 18, 2010 -- 12:37PM, mainecaptain wrote:

1 Samuel 20:41 ...and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded. 

They will refuse to accept it. Fancy their own book condoning gay relationships, what would they have to rail against? Who could they hate next?

Yeah, well I'm with SW on that one. Wink

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 4:40PM #154
SquirleyWurley

There are people who kiss their cats and love them more than their spouses, and exceed in devotion to them, you know.  Or their children, best friends.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 8:02AM #155
faith713

This is not a sexual kiss but rather a brotherly one. Compare the wording to other verses found in scripture:

Gen 33:4

And Esau6215 ran7323 to meet him7125 , and embraced2263 him, and fell5307 on his neck6677, and kissed him5401 : and they wept1058 .

Are you listening to the father of lies, JCarlin?

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 9:28AM #156
JCarlin

Nov 22, 2010 -- 8:02AM, faith713 wrote:

This is not a sexual kiss but rather a brotherly one. Compare the wording to other verses found in scripture:

Are you listening to the father of lies, JCarlin?

No. When reading the Bible I don't listen to anybody.  But I do read the entire context of any verse to figure out the meaning of the whole story.  The story of Jonathan and David is long and complex dealing with many political issues.  But they were lovers and not of the brotherly kind. 

As they say the Devil in in the details, and trying to figure out a sentence word by word gives the Devil free rein.  But keep up the fan dancing, the nakedness underneath is readily apparent.  You are not really very good at it.

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 12:36PM #157
REteach

How many of you straight guys "exceed" when giving another guy a brotherly kiss?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 4:09PM #158
Yavanna

Nov 22, 2010 -- 12:36PM, REteach wrote:

How many of you straight guys "exceed" when giving another guy a brotherly kiss?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Depends on how you choose to define exceed. It can be no different than the word pussy to your mind, RE. How on earth do you know I'm not talking about a feline?

Sometimes things are made the way we want them to be in our minds. The sexual status of Jonathan and David is there because you're looking for it.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 4:52PM #159
JCarlin

Nov 22, 2010 -- 4:09PM, Yavanna wrote:

Sometimes things are made the way we want them to be in our minds. The sexual status of Jonathan and David is there because you're looking for it.

Alternatively the sexual status of Jonathan and David is not there because you won't see it.  If you read 1&2 Samuel in one sitting the story of Jonathan and David is only there due to the importance of David.  It is really incidental and there would be no reason to spin it as anything other than what it was: a minor story of two lovers. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 7:53PM #160
REteach

I don't need for David and Jonathon to have been in a sexual relationship.  I do find the description of their relationship to be interesting, to say the least. I can see a guy loving a male friend in a platonic way. However, when that love is specifically described as going beyond their love for women--not just a few particular women, but all women in general, I do find it curious.

Not to mention that if people are going to take the Bible literally as they claim to, the description is something they need to explain.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 16 of 18  •  Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook