Page 18 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christianity and Gay Marriage
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 10:50AM #171
darcamani

Nov 22, 2010 -- 9:57AM, dblad wrote:

Nov 22, 2010 -- 7:55AM, faith713 wrote:

I agree 100%, well said.

Explain what you are agreeing with please.

I doubt very seriously if you have the faintest idea of what you are agreeing with 100%

Yes I am interested in ones own words on who is agreeing with what, why.  It will help the discussion.

I also read the bible alone, and look for historical and poitical context as well as culural histories.  Makes it a great read. 

There are life lesons I have gleamed from the writings over time. One source of many.  For me, all the lessons from any source remain the same. 

Love with every breath, compassion is everything.  Treat othere with the above. Communicate/talk and share something every day. Take risks. Learn and grow and teach. repeat as often as breathing and be prepared  to hold your breath!

This  message is every where. Seen and unseen.  Who agrees and or disagrees and why?

And what does this have to do with chistianity and marriage between 2 consenting adults?  Those 2 Institutions are not going to fall apart just because a couple that are gay and christian want to marry.  What does this have to do with any consenting adults to pair bond legally?

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 4:07PM #172
Yavanna

In other words you pick and choose what's relevant in your Bible and you choose to ignore a great deal of it because it's been "outdated" and God's promises are apparently on a timer and need updating... or maybe the term should be "patching" due to the days we live in.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2010 - 7:49PM #173
REteach

Nov 22, 2010 -- 10:50AM, darcamani wrote:

Love with every breath, compassion is everything.  Treat othere with the above. 

My early religious upbringing, my life experience, and my further Bible and religious study have led me to believe this is the heart of the matter.  The rest is just commentary.  

I think Christianity has become a religion. It should be a way of life. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 3:03AM #174
Yavanna

Nov 22, 2010 -- 7:49PM, REteach wrote:

My early religious upbringing, my life experience, and my further Bible and religious study have led me to believe this is the heart of the matter.  The rest is just commentary.  

How terribly Jewish of you, RE. Wink

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 9:25AM #175
darcamani

Nov 22, 2010 -- 4:07PM, Yavanna wrote:

In other words you pick and choose what's relevant in your Bible and you choose to ignore a great deal of it because it's been "outdated" and God's promises are apparently on a timer and need updating... or maybe the term should be "patching" due to the days we live in.

Also pick and choose how I practice living.

Some things work for me, raising my family and being a foodie.  These chosen  practices come with some rules and ethics.  Some from society/law and some because I have my own ROC.

I choose to not be a crhristian because I find that path inauthentic for me.   I would have to lie ,cheat, steal and kill, and divorce just to get started trying! And then ask some very old man that is very dead to forgive me?  And believe it!

No personal responsibility there. 

No marriage either.  I can't honestly say to anyone " I promise...forever..."

I do not want to marry my partner.  We have a "marriage" between us, designed by us for us.

No we do not get all the property rights straight people and some gay ones get with that paper.

I would like to be equal, at this rate it is economically less expensive for me to be less than.

it is a transaction after all and I am frugal.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 11:37AM #176
mainecaptain

Nov 23, 2010 -- 3:03AM, Yavanna wrote:

How terribly Jewish of you, RE.

That is interesting, I already knew this about being Jewish, it is the same, or at least very similar, being Pagan, It is a way of life, it is breathing. not just some thought a particular day of the week. Interesting. Nice interesting. Smile

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 3:27PM #177
Yavanna

Nov 23, 2010 -- 11:37AM, mainecaptain wrote:

Nov 23, 2010 -- 3:03AM, Yavanna wrote:

How terribly Jewish of you, RE.

That is interesting, I already knew this about being Jewish, it is the same, or at least very similar, being Pagan, It is a way of life, it is breathing. not just some thought a particular day of the week. Interesting. Nice interesting.

I was particularly struck by RE's comment about "the rest being commentary". Other than religious fanatacism and over zealous maniacs, I think RE, myself and you would have a lot in common in faith, Maine. I agree, it's very fascinating. Smile

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 5:27PM #178
TPaine

Nov 23, 2010 -- 3:27PM, Yavanna wrote:

I was particularly struck by RE's comment about "the rest being commentary". Other than religious fanatacism and over zealous maniacs, I think RE, myself and you would have a lot in common in faith, Maine. I agree, it's very fascinating.

Hillel the Elder: Talmud (Shabbit 31a)

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 11:58PM #179
Yavanna

Nov 23, 2010 -- 5:27PM, TPaine wrote:

Nov 23, 2010 -- 3:27PM, Yavanna wrote:

I was particularly struck by RE's comment about "the rest being commentary". Other than religious fanatacism and over zealous maniacs, I think RE, myself and you would have a lot in common in faith, Maine. I agree, it's very fascinating.

Hillel the Elder: Talmud (Shabbit 31a)

Exactly. Thanks Tpaine. Cool

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2010 - 8:20AM #180
REteach

Who probably had a big influence on Jesus.  Smile

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 18 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook