Page 19 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19
Switch to Forum Live View Christianity and Gay Marriage
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2010 - 1:12PM #181
TPaine

Nov 24, 2010 -- 8:20AM, REteach wrote:

Who probably had a big influence on Jesus. 

That would seem obvious. Hillel's greatest period of activity was from 30 BCE - 10 CE. It would have been almost impossible for Jesus not have been aware of Hillel's teachings.

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 11:50PM #182
SherriMunnerlyn

Sep 3, 2010 -- 8:21PM, SquirleyWurley wrote:

Jesus said in Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets."

Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery in John 8:11 "go and sin no more"

The Matthew verse is in the context of the Beatitudes, the sermon on the mount:

5:13-20 13"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

I try to seek and understand the whole counsel of Scripture, as Scripture interprets Scripture.

squirleywhirley,

Jesus fulfilled the law. When He was crucified, He said, "It is finished", and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. John 19:30

We see in Matthew 22 Jesus commands for Christians have been summarized into two commands, Love God with all of your heart and with all of your soul and with all of your might. That is the great and first command. The second command, love your neighbor as youself.

There is not a word spoken about homosexuality or gay marriage  in The Gospels.

The Old Testament is God's history with the Israelites, setting forth no commands for Chistians.

The New Testament is the New Covenant established by Jesus, He having fulfilled the law by His life and death.

There are no words banning gay marriages.

And we are not to judge others.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 11:59PM #183
SherriMunnerlyn

Nov 17, 2010 -- 2:31PM, dblad wrote:

Nov 16, 2010 -- 11:03PM, SquirleyWurley wrote:

Jesus repeatedly points out to people where within their hearts there lurks sin, even when on the outside they appear to be following the law.  Hence, looking at another woman with lust is adultery in the heart.

To mess around with people you aren't married to, is not approved of in Scripture, it is considered fornication, adultery, etc..

SW... Scripture teaches that we are no longer under the Law, but under GRACE! You cannot be good enough to earn salvation, it is a free gift.

Gal. 3:10Anyone who tries to please God by obeying the Law is under a curse. The Scriptures say, "Everyone who doesn't obey everything in the Law is under a curse." 11No one can please God by obeying the Law. The Scriptures also say, "The people God accepts because of their faith will live."  12The Law isn't based on faith. It promises life only to people who obey its commands. 13But Christ rescued us from the Law's curse, when he became a curse in our place.

23The Law controlled us and kept us under its power until the time came when we would have faith. 24In fact, the Law was our teacher. It was supposed to teach us until we had faith and were acceptable to God. 25But once a person has learned to have faith, there is no more need to have the Law as a teacher.

I agree. We are not under the Law, so persons calling themselves Christians need to stop speaking of what is written in The Old Testament as commands Christians are to follow. There is Freedom in Christ, freedom from The Law.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 1:54PM #184
voice-crying

May 10, 2012 -- 11:59PM, SherriMunnerlyn wrote:

I agree. We are not under the Law, so persons calling themselves Christians need to stop speaking of what is written in The Old Testament as commands Christians are to follow. There is Freedom in Christ, freedom from The Law.

Sherri

Hi Sherri,

The New Testament singles out the same sins as the Old Testament. The difference (thank God) is that Christ Jesus paid our penalties (He fulfilled the Mosaic Law) there was nothing wrong with the law.

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 9:11PM #185
Mostyn32

I have read this thread with growing consternation. Thank God that there are posters like Darcani, MaineCaptain, smcisaac, and REteach - and some others (sorry if I left your names out) here to give small oases where the calm, compassion, and caring of Christ shine through the negative perversions of the teachings of the One who told us that our most important action should be to love one another as He has loved us, to love others as we love ourselves, and first and foremost, to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength.  

If one believes in a loving God who loves us all equally, then where does anybody get off thrusting the LGBT children of God out of His circle of love? If one believes in a Creator, wouldn't it follow that the Creator , who made all that is, seen and unseen (as we say in the Nicene creed), made those of us who are LGBT. Where do the people who beieve that sin happens only from the waist down get off telling God that He has created abomination? When are they going to learn that God hates nothing that He has made?

The true sin is in taking on the role of God, acting as Judge. Our LGBT brothers and sisters did not choose their orientation, and can no more deny it or change it than they can deny or change their height, body shape, eye and skin colour. Evil is a matter of choice, gender orientation is not.  

And last, but not least, it is not the Christian Church that decides who may marry. It is the state! The state legislates taxation, spousal rights, equal rights and all aspects of marriage and living together in community. The only law we all live under is the law of the land. I have no more right to shove my Christian beliefs down the throats of others or to make decisions for them based on my faith teachings than I have to deny another the right to marry the person he or she loves and wants to spend the rest of his/her life with.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 19 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook