4 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2010 - 9:54PM #1
Beautiful_Dreamer

I was reading an article on the ERA (Equal Rights Amendment) that has been put before Congress over and over and over again and has failed to be ratified every time, and I couldn't help but ask this question:

Why? What are people afraid of? Why would anyone not want to give equal rights to women? What do 'they' (people who voted the amendment down every time it's come up) think will happen if states aren't allowed to discriminate anymore that's bad enough that they want to keep things the way they are? What is the benefit to not paying a woman the same amount as a man for doing the same job, for example? Is it because people in general are afraid of change, even if the change can be a good thing? Women have been voting for decades now after that right been long fought for (and I'm grateful to the women who came before me to fight for the rights I take for granted), and it hasn't meant the end of the world. It's not like things were all nice and peaceful before.

Granted, this is probably a really stupid question. I just wonder, why? What is there to fear from women being considered equal to men in so many ways, which is what I think it pretty much boils down to?

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook