Page 1 of 136  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 136 Next
Switch to Forum Live View California Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 4:49PM #1
Jeanninehunter

A federal judge rules Proposition 8 unconstitutional.

The state's ban on same-sex marriage discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, ruled Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker of San Francisco Wednesday. He overturned the voter-approved ban known as Proposition 8. An appeal is expected.

Will the decision have any effect elsewhere?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 4:54PM #2
Stardove

I was just coming to say, "Federal judge in California knocks down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage. An appeal is expected."  Laughing

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 4:57PM #3
Jeanninehunter

Aug 4, 2010 -- 4:54PM, Stardove wrote:

I was just coming to say, "Federal judge in California knocks down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage. An appeal is expected."  Laughing

Thanks!!! Noticed that I initially linked to '08 stories on the issue, but revised the thread to reflect today's action.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:02PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Aug 4, 2010 -- 4:49PM, Jeanninehunter wrote:

A federal judge rules Proposition 8 unconstitutional.

The state's ban on same-sex marriage discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, ruled Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker of San Francisco Wednesday. He overturned the voter-approved ban known as Proposition 8.

Will the decision have any effect elsewhere?

This is great news! The "will of the slim majority" should never be used as a bludgeon to deny the civil rights of another.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:38PM #5
Sirronrex

Christian lies wed Christian hate

Begot an illegitimate child...it's named Prop 8!

Poor bastard.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:42PM #6
Cesmom

It's too bad people in every state affected by such laws are going to have to spend the money to initiate their own lawsuits on the matter.  It seems like a waste when they should just be able to apply this decision to all states now.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:48PM #7
mecdukebec
All that outside LDS money poured into California, and now this.  It's almost like California cannot be run like Utah.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:49PM #8
Tolerant Sis

Well, not really.  If the ninth circuit upholds the lower court, bans on gay marriage will be ruled unconstitutional everywhere, until the SCt makes a ruling.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:50PM #9
TPaine

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the decision.

www.aclu.org/files/assets/2010-8-4-Perry...

Hopefully, this decision will influence other courts on this subject. Maine had a gay marriage law overturned by a popular vote, so if there is any justice in the world that ban will be overturned on the same grounds.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 6:01PM #10
Jeanninehunter

When Proposition 8 passed there was racial tension around the issue of gay rights. Will today's ruling reignite the discussion? Were bridges built or ties irreparably damaged between blacks and activists within the LGBT community since the same-sex marriage ban passed?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 136  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 136 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook