Switch to Forum Live View DOMA Unconstitutional sez Federal Judge!
4 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2010 - 1:41AM #1
Free_2_b_me

Federal gay marriage ban is ruled unconstitutional

BOSTON – The federal law banning gay marriage is unconstitutional because it interferes  with the right of a state to define the institution and therefore denies married  gay couples some federal benefits, a federal judge ruled Thursday in Boston.

U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro ruled in favor of gay couples' rights in two  separate challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act, known as DOMA, a 1996 law  that the Obama administration has argued for repealing. The rulings apply to  Massachusetts but could have broader implications if they're upheld on appeal.

Well, are we on our way to equality? FINALLY?

GOSH - in 3 weeks my partner and I will be celebrating 20 years together. I cannot even begin to express how wonderful it is that we actually have a federal ruling on this. I know this is only the beginning of the legal battle. I know some sort of backlash will come - but for now I'm ecstatic!

Most people do not see the world as it is. They see it as they are.

Anna Leonowens
Anna and the King
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2010 - 8:02AM #2
REteach

Marriage is legal in my state, so now some of my coworkers can start getting the benefits I do.  Hurray! It's about time.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 1:45AM #3
Kimrdhbsms

This is really good news, but only the start.  We here in California await the verdict on our case. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2010 - 2:30AM #4
Free_2_b_me

Jul 9, 2010 -- 8:02AM, REteach wrote:

Marriage is legal in my state, so now some of my coworkers can start getting the benefits I do.  Hurray! It's about time.

I'm so happy for the residents of your state! (And other states where SS couples have been included in marriage!

NY does recognize SS marriages from places that perform SS marriages, but we can't actually get married here. To me that is just strange.

One day all these idiotic objections will be overcome legally and the legal discrimination will end. I just hope it's sooner rather than later! It's horrible how many people's lives are negatively impacted by the lack of equal protection that SS-headed families have. Children being taken away from parents, people losing spouses and parents to deportation, families losing homes after the death of a loved one due to unfair tax burdens, the loss of life savings due to contested last wills - and opponents just don't care - they'd rather force their religious beliefs on others. But they'd raise hell if others tried - really tried - to force their religious beliefs on them.

(Sorry for the rant - it just makes me so angry.)

Most people do not see the world as it is. They see it as they are.

Anna Leonowens
Anna and the King
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook