Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Drug to prevent lesbian daughters
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 5:30PM #1
Stardove

Is taking this drug the right thing to do?  CAH stands for congenital adrenal hyperplasia, or CAH, a group of inherited disorders of the adrenal gland.

Pregnant Women Take Drug To Prevent Lesbian or "Masculine" Daughters

The problematic elements are clear: women are taking dexamethasone (dex) because they are afraid of the "psychosocial problems associated with having ambiguous genitalia" (and here I'm quoting Time), as well as the threat of same-sex attraction, which is less explicitly addressed in the article but is clearly one of the main issues for the people who are prescribing and taking dex.  Regardless of whether CAH can actually influence sexual orientation, the anxiety is reflective of fear of traits that blur gender lines.  Girls with CAH do not exhibit traditionally feminine traits; they behave "tomboyishly" and do not express the same interest in motherhood.  Dex can, essentially, create feminine children who will exhibit "normal" sexual orientations, as well as (and this is pretty shocking) de-masculinize "peer association, career and leisure time preferences in adolescence and adulthood."  Yes - this is implying "masculine" and "feminine" career paths, and suggesting that this drug can push girls toward the correct, feminine track.

Check links for more information about CAH.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 6:32PM #2
mountain_man

I would have to say it's the wrong thing to do. There is no proof that the drug will do as the doctor says it will and there is nothing to show that it might cause other problems. If I remember correctly, this drug is approved for use in humans, but not for this purpose.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 7:20PM #3
dblad

The OP goes on to say...

The solution, though, is not to take an unnecessary drug, but to rethink the way we deal with gender so that "masculine" daughters with "ambiguous genitalia" are no longer such a source of fear that women will take an experimental, off-label drug to "cure" them.

I agree with this statement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 7:37PM #4
Ebon

I think they're confusing sexuality with gender identification and gender identity.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 8:05PM #5
Erey

I don't think anyone regardless of sexuality wants ambigous genitalia.  People like their genetalia uncomplicated.

I am just wondering,  is there some reason these pregnant women are thinking they will have a daughter with a glandular disorder.  If it is a glandular disorder then you probably would rather prevent it.  This sort of assumes that all lesbian women have a glandular disorder,  I am sure most don't.  But regardless of sexuality I don't think anyone would choose for their daughter to have a glandular disorder. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2010 - 2:45PM #6
Stardove

With the testing today doctors are able to find out all kinds of things about the unborn baby.

Many years ago when I had my first baby the tests routinely given today were not available.  One just had her baby not knowing the gender and anything else.  This was still true 12 years later when my last child was born. 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 1:59PM #7
mytmouse57

Jul 2, 2010 -- 5:30PM, Stardove wrote:

Is taking this drug the right thing to do?  CAH stands for congenital adrenal hyperplasia, or CAH, a group of inherited disorders of the adrenal gland.

Pregnant Women Take Drug To Prevent Lesbian or "Masculine" Daughters

The problematic elements are clear: women are taking dexamethasone (dex) because they are afraid of the "psychosocial problems associated with having ambiguous genitalia" (and here I'm quoting Time), as well as the threat of same-sex attraction, which is less explicitly addressed in the article but is clearly one of the main issues for the people who are prescribing and taking dex.  Regardless of whether CAH can actually influence sexual orientation, the anxiety is reflective of fear of traits that blur gender lines.  Girls with CAH do not exhibit traditionally feminine traits; they behave "tomboyishly" and do not express the same interest in motherhood.  Dex can, essentially, create feminine children who will exhibit "normal" sexual orientations, as well as (and this is pretty shocking) de-masculinize "peer association, career and leisure time preferences in adolescence and adulthood."  Yes - this is implying "masculine" and "feminine" career paths, and suggesting that this drug can push girls toward the correct, feminine track.

Check links for more information about CAH.

How long before they figure out this drug has some sort of horrendous side effects? The whole thing strikes me as dicey and dangerous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 2:01PM #8
mytmouse57

Jul 3, 2010 -- 2:45PM, Stardove wrote:

With the testing today doctors are able to find out all kinds of things about the unborn baby.

Many years ago when I had my first baby the tests routinely given today were not available.  One just had her baby not knowing the gender and anything else.  This was still true 12 years later when my last child was born. 

I think it takes some of the fun out of it, knowing ahead of time what gender the child will be. `

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 2:41PM #9
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sealed Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

Amazing! How about a drug to prevent heterosexual sons?! It would make about as much sense and possess the same medical ethicacy. As it stands this latest examples how little we've evolved in matters of tolerance for one another's personal sexuality. It states categorically that heterosexuality is normal and anything else is abnormal.
And if that philosophy is arrived at through a religious affiliation it is then proffering the observation that an Omniscient Omnigenetic supreme being made a biological error when it created gay children and specifically lesbian daughters.

Masculinity in a female is more a matter of hormones and chromosomal anomalies. It's not a matter of "curing" what coincides as a sexual preference as a Lesbian.Though it could be argued that an over abundance of testosterone in females makes for lesbian sexuality, so as to make true that old joke about being a man trapped in a lesbians body. It's simply biology, which is what sensuality is all about in any case.
This study as I can see it means that homosexuality is a chemical mistake. If that's true then who's to say what is the standard for appropriate sexual identity!? Simply because one gender is sexually attracted to it's opposite?! If anything in relation to polarization, that seems to be the anomaly.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2010 - 6:25PM #10
appy20

What I would worry about is there a potential risk for excessive female characteristics?  Guess what that is a problem and more likely to come with psychological issues.  There have been studies decades ago that showed women with excessive feminine traits have lower marital satisfaction and fewer life coping skills.  Risk for depressive and anxiety disorders go up.  Plus, excessive estrogen can cause all kinds of cancers. When you "feminize" a fetus, you better get it right because too much feminization may be its own nightmare.

Moderation in ALL things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook