Switch to Forum Live View SCOTUS Rules Against Discrimination
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 3:50PM #1
Free_2_b_me

Justices Rule Against Group That Excludes Gay Students

WASHINGTON — A public law school did not violate the First Amendment by withdrawing recognition from a Christian student group that excluded gay students, the Supreme Court ruled on Monday in a 5-to-4 decision.

First off, I'd like to say that I think that churches and religious organization, in general have the right to refuse anybody for membership that they desire to refuse - and for what ever reason they want to use to refuse that membership - no mater how repugnant I may find those reasons personally.

That being said, if ORGANIZATION A is getting benefits  that are being provided by ORGANIZATION B - and ORGANIZATION B has certain guideline, rules, bylaws and/or conditions for those benefits then ORGANIZATION A either follow those guidelines, rules, bylaws and/or conditions or forfeit use of the benefits.

The college didn't say the christian organization couldn't exist, it just said couldn't be  officially recognized by the college. (Meaning the college would not provide any financial assistance, use of the communication channels, a meeting space, nor could they use the college logos.) But the religious organization wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

I do not understand WHY they thought they were entitled to be offically recognized by the college but also be able to break the colleges rules on what was required to be recognized. It seems IMO,  to be becoming a more and more frequent demand of [conservative] religious organizations. They want to be tax exempt - yet they want to be politically active. They want "freedom of religion" yet want to deny  that freedom to others.

How do others see this?

Most people do not see the world as it is. They see it as they are.

Anna Leonowens
Anna and the King
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2010 - 1:37PM #2
Sirronrex

Jun 29, 2010 -- 3:50PM, Free_2_b_me wrote:

How do others see this?

Yet another example of the self-aggrandizing arrogance and haughtiness of Christians and their pals on the SCOTUS, not to mention their stupidity.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 1:50AM #3
Kimrdhbsms

Free -- You expressed it very well.  I agree that so-called Christian groups are calling discrimination whenever they don't get their way. I think it's a "talking point" they have been taught.  They use it against us-- we start questioning ourselves because we live in horror of being unfair.

The court did this right. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook