Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Female Genital Cutting: Affecting Young Girls in America
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 10:01AM #1
Grinandbearit

Female genital cutting (FGC) is a tradition that many assume to be  affecting girls living only in Africa and Asia .  But this rite of passage procedure is an all too familiar for many women  living in the U.S.

The practice of cutting encompasses all procedures involving partial or  total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the  female genital organs for non-medical reasons, according to the World  Health Organization . In some countries, many of these  girls will have their clitoris completely removed to deny them sexual  pleasure. And at its most severe, some of them will have their vaginas  sewn shut to preserve their virginity.

LINK

This barbaric custom has come to America. When doctors refuse to do it, the parents take a trip back to their homeland to have it done, sometimes in much less sanitary conditions with no anesthesia. My heart is breaking for all these young girls put through this torture.

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 10:14AM #2
Agnosticspirit

Parents who ask a doctor to perform this ritual should be reported for child abuse and prosecuted. Doctors are in an untenable position, but the stench of these customs "from the old country" are counter to our values.

The disgusting practices that are allowed under the mantle of "religious freedom", especially since WOMEN are more likely to be the victims, truly makes me sick.

We already have communities of religious extremists that raise girls in ignorance and marry them off into polygamous unions. The mentality of the FLDS isn't so very different from those who mutilate women.

BTW, the practice of FMG --- while primarily associated with Islam, is a cultural practice that actually PREDATES Islam. A few Christian and animist sects in Africa practice this loathsome ritual as well. Given that, this does NOT deserve the "freedom of religion" cloak.

We really need to strike a better balance between religious freedom and human rights when they conflict. When in conflict, human rights should take precedence. Enforcing this, however, is very difficult. Separating cultural practices from religious practices presents a great challenge as well, but prosecute the goddamn parents for doing this to their girls!

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 11:20AM #3
Grinandbearit

That's the catch 22. If they know they will be prosecuted, they'll just make a "medical visit" to their homeland to have it done.

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 11:34AM #4
Agnosticspirit

I know it's a catch-22, but it's unquestionably a form of abuse. We prosecute parents who withhold medical treatment, so why should we make an exception for mutilation? Perhaps those who "go back home" for "medical procedures" should stay there.

That's my visceral, simplistic, emotional reaction that doesn't resolve anything. To reduce  these disgusting "cultural traditions", we eventually circle back to education.  In some sects, however, females are denied the same education as males. All under the banner of heaven.

In another thread on another forum, I suggested some form of standardized testing for ALL students... whether they were educated in mosques, churches, homeschools or public.  private secular schools, religious schools,  home-schooling, or public to ensure that females weren't being deprived of education that male children can expect. I was met with equally extreme and visceral reactions because I dared to question "freedom of religion".

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 12:34PM #5
IreneAdler

Yet another reason why it is doubly important to educate the girls-esp. when educational funds are limited.

Tell ya, Mom and Pops made very sure I received the college education. They did intend to send my bro and sis to college but neither one had the grades or interest. Fast forward a few decades- my bro eventually earned his degree. Take home lesson: he intends for his kids to pursue higher education as early as possible-whether they want it or not. We should all be so fortunate.

Actually AS, if the parents are bent upon having this procedure done such that they return to the old country to do it, it’s probably good to have them return to USA for follow-up medical for any complications the young girl might experience. Gee, any way to let the kid back in, but keep the parents out?  But I entirely understand your feeling behind your statement.

Like to know where in the Koran (or any other religious tome) it is written such procedure is called for.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 12:52PM #6
Agnosticspirit

Hi Irene, there IS scriptural support for female circumcision -- a snip of skin --- and there IS scriptural support for the head scarf although I don't know the suras off hand. However, there is NOTHING nothing in the Quran or Bible to support  the most severe forms of genital mutilation, and nothing in the Quran to mandates the burqua.

These extreme/disgusting practices were put in place by men who twisted their scriptures to fit their twisted misogyny.

If we prevent parents from coming back after going away for "medical procedures", then what happens to the girls? Do they become orphans? Will they then be adopted by other relatives in close-knit communities who continue with these practices?

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 1:28PM #7
IreneAdler

Jun 16, 2010 -- 12:52PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Hi Irene, there IS scriptural support for female circumcision -- a snip of skin --- and there IS scriptural support for the head scarf although I don't know the suras off hand. However, there is NOTHING nothing in the Quran or Bible to support  the most severe forms of genital mutilation, and nothing in the Quran to mandates the burqua.

These extreme/disgusting practices were put in place by men who twisted their scriptures to fit their twisted misogyny.

If we prevent parents from coming back after going away for "medical procedures", then what happens to the girls? Do they become orphans? Will they then be adopted by other relatives in close-knit communities who continue with these practices?

AS- clearly dumping the parents isn’t a tenable solution. It just galls me that allowing intentional harm to the girl child cannot be punished in some fashion.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 1:35PM #8
Bezant

The problem with some Americans and Europeans is they assume X (insert what you will, slavery, child prostitution, FGM) is not going on in their "liberated, egalitarian, and progressive" backyards. It's a wishy-washy mind and ignorance that gives FGM room to flourish--ABC only realises what's happened quietly in the States for years (and not to my surprise with the cooperation of doctors).

In fact, according to the Huffington Post article I've posted by Egyptian-British reporter Mona Eltahawy, "As recent as the 1950s, partial or total removal of the clitoris was prescribed in western Europe and the U.S. in response to hysteria, epilepsy, mental disorders, masturbation, nymphomania, melancholia and lesbianism."

Here in the UK we've legislation forbidding parents from taking their girls abroad to be cut, but as Eltahawy argues, seven years later no one's been convicted.

www.huffingtonpost.com/mona-eltahawy/sma...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 1:56PM #9
shirleyj227

Jun 16, 2010 -- 10:01AM, Grinandbearit wrote:

Female genital cutting (FGC) is a tradition that many assume to be  affecting girls living only in Africa and Asia .  But this rite of passage procedure is an all too familiar for many women  living in the U.S.

The practice of cutting encompasses all procedures involving partial or  total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the  female genital organs for non-medical reasons, according to the World  Health Organization . In some countries, many of these  girls will have their clitoris completely removed to deny them sexual  pleasure. And at its most severe, some of them will have their vaginas  sewn shut to preserve their virginity.

LINK

This barbaric custom has come to America. When doctors refuse to do it, the parents take a trip back to their homeland to have it done, sometimes in much less sanitary conditions with no anesthesia. My heart is breaking for all these young girls put through this torture.

My heart also breaks for all these girls. This is something you and I agree upon. As American women we need to band together to stop this. Here in Germany I work with other women to help woman understand their rights. I can only put in 5 hours a week but I do what I can .

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 3:26PM #10
Erey

Jun 16, 2010 -- 1:35PM, Bezant wrote:

The problem with some Americans and Europeans is they assume X (insert what you will, slavery, child prostitution, FGM) is not going on in their "liberated, egalitarian, and progressive" backyards. It's a wishy-washy mind and ignorance that gives FGM room to flourish--ABC only realises what's happened quietly in the States for years (and not to my surprise with the cooperation of doctors).

In fact, according to the Huffington Post article I've posted by Egyptian-British reporter Mona Eltahawy, "As recent as the 1950s, partial or total removal of the clitoris was prescribed in western Europe and the U.S. in response to hysteria, epilepsy, mental disorders, masturbation, nymphomania, melancholia and lesbianism."

Here in the UK we've legislation forbidding parents from taking their girls abroad to be cut, but as Eltahawy argues, seven years later no one's been convicted.

www.huffingtonpost.com/mona-eltahawy/sma...

That is true there was a sort of victorian era trend in removing the clitoris - I don't know how common it was.  I am not sure how common it is in the US today. 

In my impression this kind of FGM is practised only with the lower educated, less worldly people in the mid-east and northern europe.  Not the kind of people who typically immigrate around the world.  It takes money and some kind of smarts to get set up in a forigen land where you don't speak the language.  So I tend to think you are not going to find very many people living in North America who have this situation and europe you might have a few more but not much.  It is a bit easier for them to imigrate to europe than north america. Therefore europe gets more of the poverty from the arab world than we do. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook