Switch to Forum Live View Has the fantasy corrupted reality?
4 years ago  ::  May 01, 2010 - 2:01AM #1
Jas

We live in a sexually saturated culture.  Like all young men are at a certain age, I wanted to explore and understand.  I read literature, watched tv.  I have always held strong sexual ethics.  Lately, however, I have  been troubled.  I feel as though I have been corrupted by it.  I have read many fictions eroticse rape as a liberating sexual experience.  Books such as Lolita manipulate your thought processes to see through the mind of a pedophile.  Television bombards constantly with images and/or suggestions of sexual violence or perversion. Society says these are just fantasies to be enjoyed.  Yet, in these fantasies, am I not conditioning my mind to believe such things are alright?  Am I not betraying the very principles I have so long held dear. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 11:16PM #2
ManzanitaBear

And the flip side of that fantasy for women is that being sexy means being a victim, or at least a potential victim.

What's important is what you yourself really want, and what anyone you have sex with wants. Having a fantasy doesn't necessarily mean wanting it to come true.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 5:12PM #3
hm2menger

Ok, a couple of things I'd like to say. First of all I'm a little tired of this "our society is sex crazy" rap. media is sexual because PEOPLE are sexual. If images of frogs could entice 88% of people to look at your content our society would be "overly frogged".

Next with regard to sexual fantasies: Fantasies ARE fantasies because living them out in real life is most likely a bad idea. If it was safe, sane, legal and wouldn't damage your relationship, it wouldn't be a fantasy, you'd just DO it. Many women have rape fantasies, but none of them really want to be raped.

Bill Maher said on HBO "Men and women don't have any mutual fantasies, your's bore us and our's offend you." And I think that's true. Fantasies are aids to masturbation, not sex.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 7:39PM #4
Yavanna

The United States are obsessed with sex. Perhaps only outdone by Japan. Most modern, developed nations are much more mature.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 1:16PM #5
Troy

May 16, 2010 -- 7:39PM, Yavanna wrote:

The United States are obsessed with sex. Perhaps only outdone by Japan.

Aint nothin' wrong with that. :D

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 6:24PM #6
hm2menger

May 16, 2010 -- 7:39PM, Yavanna wrote:

The United States are obsessed with sex. Perhaps only outdone by Japan. Most modern, developed nations are much more mature.

Yes, more mature in that they accept that sex happens, that "Abstinance" is not a viable long term option, that birth control is not a tool of the devil, and that sexual orientation is not conected to morality.

In short, most modern developed nations know that if you get laid often enough, you're much less likely to do something bat shit crazy.

But as for them having a less sexuallized media, google "german sprite commercial" and re-think that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 11:13PM #7
Troy

May 17, 2010 -- 6:24PM, hm2menger wrote:

Yes, more mature in that they accept that sex happens, that "Abstinance" is not a viable long term option, that birth control is not a tool of the devil, and that sexual orientation is not conected to morality.

In short, most modern developed nations know that if you get laid often enough, you're much less likely to do something bat shit crazy.

But as for them having a less sexuallized media, google "german sprite commercial" and re-think that.

Well said. I agree 110%

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook