Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Dar's Cuisine and Fairytales.
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 11:19AM #51
darcamani

Saturday morning came, my UU fellowship had absolutely nothing in the actual main service room. Even the bullitin boards were cleared. Sacred space. For men.  Get the behind me sexism! OH BOY!  Lesbian feminist here. Just shy of Radical.

My lover practiced during Ramadan, We celebrated EID (The end of Ramadan, serious food.  And the Jewish New Year all happened in the same week, so I was busy and absolutly terrified.  Of myself. I know I can be a jerk. I had to shut up.  Damn!

So was editing myself constantly just to get out of my home.  So I paced and ranted and my lover listened. Then she said"be gentle, it is that easy." Then she put on a burka and went to work leaving me thankfully speechless.

I dressed as female  as I could, believe me that is tough I only own 1 bra. and live in jeans so I picked dress jeans, lol, and a bright purple shirt.Innocent  and took a very long shower, cried, anointed myself with lavender, had a great heart to heart with Spirit and off I went.

I got to baby sit.  I found myself in a room full of fully burkad women and a mess of kids thankfully under the age of 8.  Thank goodness!  Babies simply require love and attention.  Does not matter  who, or what, they simply do, and a giggle and a smile from the innocent filled me with joy, as the women relaxed, the kids loved me, and the women were able to devote their energy to what they too risked everything for by CHOICE.

I have never read the Qo'ran and ended up with a child friendly version. In English although I was 1 of 2 who spoke English and simply did not know the rhythym so I read the book to the children to the cadence of "Green Eggs and Ham". LOL, had the kids laughing.  They were every color. No mystery, simply children.  The men? also grateful.

The gratitude spoke volumes. And as that service came to an end I was asked to go to the other Mosque.  Where I basically did the same thing.  Played with children, read holy books kid style and provided folk with the very freedom I celebrate every day. The freedom to worship as I please. My countries biggest gift.

My lover reminded me of her immigration and choosing to become a citizen here.  Something I think I forgot with all the other mess I am into.

On Sunday the Imam called and asked to bring folk over to provide child care and clean up and service for our Sunday.

I made lunch and new friends.  As I write this, tears are falling ,I grew  by leaps and bounds, I may not be eloquent but I sure learned something  very deep about myself.  Now that I know, I have no excuse.

I am fully human, eat, breathe and poop. Our Spirit by any name is the same one.  Children make it all worth it.  Offer unconditional  love one gets unconditional  love.

OK, back to my regularly shceduled program, spelling and grammer errors and all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 10:24AM #52
darcamani

Moving right along...

My cauldren was up and running and I had folk from all over join in, I had a wok, a steamer, raw stuff, seasonal everything and no leftovers. A chefs dream.

I was catering  a free Green event. I started with celery sticks and had no idea what or how I was going to feed all these folk except add more water. until my local coop showed up with boxes of fresh produce, juices, local cheeses and juices and all for free!

This happened exactly 6 hours before folk started to arrive.

My fairy was co flitting/ facillitating . I put up a sign by my cauldren, " busy dreaming up lunch" it worked, thou shalt not disturb the chef while I  is communing with food, or you will get p b and J on white bread.

I got busy.

A local organic farm dropped off  leftovers of the day,  fresh from ground up, eggs they had to look for, (free range)I could barely believe my eyes.  The generosity made me shed a tear.  or two.  Greens, mushrooms, onions, carrots, onions and garlic pulled from the ground recently, green and purble beans, limas, Fresh in the pod,  limas!  Baby beets and heirloom tomatoes and the last crop of summer squash.   Oh and more beans, fresh, not canned, huge difference.

Home made crackers made by the Amish women that afternoon.  And fresh breads of all kinds and berries frozen from summer, YEA!

I was in cook heaven.

Drove my flitting control freak fairy crazy until we established who was supposed to being what, where. LOL. 

Then I got really busy.

The event was deeply spiritual and required thought because it takes different energy to shmooze and chat and another to sit and pray. So I did not make sloppy joes.

Because all had to really be very present I had to make everything user friendly to sustain over time in physical stillness and mental /spritual activity.

Cave dyke became 2 spirit shaman. Wow.  I suddenly had gentle folk helping and serving and cleaning and all for free.  I was so thrilled, still am!  If this can happen once...( it has happened more than once, not with this group of new friends).  Yet has happenened, Oh the possibilitiies!

My fairy is actually typing up the recipes because I am doing this again for a Permaculture thingy next week times 2.  or 3 because some from here will be there.  Yea!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2010 - 1:57PM #53
darcamani

Remember that tofu?

LOL, this is an experiment raised to a new level.

That block of tofu has been sitting in ginger tea for two weeks.  I will dry it out and find out what happens today.

I think frying will work.

That fixes everything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 2:54PM #54
mainecaptain

Sep 23, 2010 -- 1:57PM, darcamani wrote:

Remember that tofu?

LOL, this is an experiment raised to a new level.

That block of tofu has been sitting in ginger tea for two weeks.  I will dry it out and find out what happens today.

I think frying will work.

That fixes everything.

I love fried Tofu, I have never had it soaked in Ginger tea, sounds very interesting. Please let us know how it turned out.

Also any advice about how to fry tofu is always appreciated. Embarassed

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2010 - 6:19AM #55
darcamani

Oh that tofu!

I dried it out over night.  Getting as much moisture as possible out, using paper towels until it was a very firm block.  Cut it into fingers. 

In a skillet I put in some cold oil, 1 clove crushed garlic and 1/4 inch minced fresh ginger and some red pepper flakes, brought the oil up to hot slowly, when the garlic started to sizzle , I removed it  and kept the temp up. I dusted the tofu in corn starch and fried them.   crispy on the outside and tender within, the flavor jumped out.  Very rich, I served it with a Morrocan style carrot salad, simply blanched carrots, lemon juice , cumin and olive oil, and the dinner danced!

I did have rice on the side but that ended up fried later.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2010 - 9:20AM #56
darcamani

Here is a lovely carrot salad recipe that my fairie gave me, simply need a friend that is willing to cut carrots in a pretty 1/4' dice, offer the saded for reward.

This makes enough four 4 as an appetizer.

1 pound carrots, no need to peel if organic, just wash.

1 patient person, with a sharp knife a cutting board and some good classic rock and roll.

Boiling salted water, a bunch, ( I mean a BUNCH of parley (The carrots carry the parsley. The juice on at least 1 lemon, use the real ones. Chopped and 2 cloves minced garlic.

Ground toasted cumin,, to taste, start with 1/2 tsp and adjust.

Red pepper flackes and a little oil, add extra s and p to taste, and let rest, for at least an hour. 

Boil the carrots in the water. (You may use broth)  Drain, and add everything else while still warm. toss, and chill.

Serve with flat bread or pita to use as scoops.

Have lemon slices on hand and enjoy.  I love this for lunch.  You can add other spices, I like ginger.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2010 - 11:45AM #57
darcamani

It is so much easier chatting about food.

Friendly comforting.  Life affirming.

Anyone is welcome, bring food.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 12:53PM #58
BetteTheRedde

Yes, one can have heated arguments about food and remain friends. I miss you, {{{Dar}}

We had our first frost Sunday night, and I knew it was coming, so late last week, I converted all the basil in the garden into pesto for the freezer. So, at the moment, everything tastes like pesto, a big spoonful of which might go nicely in Dar's carrot salad.

*Bette waves happily to all her old friends still around.* Awfully glad that it's quieter around here, though, really.

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 4:35PM #59
darcamani

(((Bette)))

Pesto in the carrot salad...G.L made pesto  a week ago, very good, I will give it a go! "course then it won't be morrocan any more.  But fusion is my life.

Miss ya sis! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 8:51AM #60
darcamani

Happy Thanksgiving my Canuck sis, and happy coming out day for everyone.

I ended up with a bushel of late tomatoes and fresh lima beans this weekend.  So I canned and G.L shelled and we made some amazing food.

Remember the carrot salad and pesto? it found its' way with garbanzo beans, and fresh blanched  limas.  fantastic!  polyamory goes haute cuise via Dar in DE.

Talk about good!  Now the question is, can I reproduce this?  Uh, no.

Magic happens.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook