Page 79 of 79  •  Prev 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79
Switch to Forum Live View School District Cancels Prom Rather than Allow a Same-Sex Prom Date: Is This Right?
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 1:46PM #781
Yavanna

May 5, 2010 -- 5:25AM, sydneymoon wrote:

Ugh. Here we go again. The Westboro Baptist Church, the hate group from Kansas, plans to picket her graduation. These are the same  fools who picket funerals, etc.

www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/0...

Absolutely disgusting.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 7:22PM #782
REteach

OK, I have to admit my evil twin likes the idea that those people in that town will get a taste of their own medicine.  I hope they like the reflection they will be seeing in the mirror.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 12:47PM #783
Yavanna

May 5, 2010 -- 7:22PM, REteach wrote:

OK, I have to admit my evil twin likes the idea that those people in that town will get a taste of their own medicine.  I hope they like the reflection they will be seeing in the mirror.

Do you give them credit to realize that or don't you think they'll bitterly blame the evil, frustrating gay student for it instead?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 2:43PM #784
REteach

I suspect prom was a bigger deal for most of the kids.

I'm hoping the adults will see how ugly they looked

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 5:48PM #785
Sirronrex

May 5, 2010 -- 7:22PM, REteach wrote:

Amen.

BUT...and you knew there would be a but...Laughing

I won't be surprised if half the town turns out to protest with their fellow Christians from WBC.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 7:24PM #786
REteach

Could be.  However, we do hear a lot of people basically agreeing with Phelps but disagreeing with his tactics.  I got to hear Matthew Shepard's mother speak once, and she kind of liked Phelps because his obnoxiousness seemed to highlight the ultimate negativity of the behavior.  She thought he may have helped enlighten more people than rational discourse could. 

Maybe at least a few of them will become a bit more thoughtful.

Of course, given Mississippi's dropout rate, that might be too much to hope for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 07, 2010 - 9:13AM #787
Sirronrex

May 6, 2010 -- 7:24PM, REteach wrote:

we do hear a lot of people basically agreeing with Phelps but disagreeing with his tactics.

It amazes me how the delusional aren't able to recognize that the tactics are not the problem. It's the wicked teachings and ill-will behind the tactics that create the kind of person who would carry out such tactics.

I got to hear Matthew Shepard's mother speak once, and she kind of liked Phelps because his obnoxiousness seemed to highlight the ultimate negativity of the behavior.  She thought he may have helped enlighten more people than rational discourse could.

I agree with her, except the behavior is the result, not the cause. The cause is the Christian religion, what it teaches and what it fails to teach.

Maybe at least a few of them will become a bit more thoughtful.

Doubtful. It might cause people to think twice about acting on their thoughts and behaving in certain ways, but I highly doubt it will have any affect whatsoever on the deep-seated wickedness the Christian religion has planted in the "faithful".

Of course, given Mississippi's dropout rate, that might be too much to hope for.

Yet another example of the many failures of the Christian religion. It isn't a coincidence that the "Bible Belt" is also home to the most ignorant and uneducated.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 10:55PM #788
Kenatheinsane

the school was wrong

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2011 - 10:32AM #789
IreneAdler

Jun 29, 2011 -- 10:55PM, Kenatheinsane wrote:

the school was wrong

Yes, I agree.

And I hope the school admin, school board and a whole lot of parents have learned --and grown-- from this incident.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2011 - 12:59PM #790
Mostyn32

I went to Google to find out what happened after the initial story came out last year. This is what I found on Wikipedia relating to the court challenge to the school board's ruling:

"On March 23, 2010, U.S. District Court Judge Glen H. Davidson issued a ruling in favor of both McMillen and the Itawamba County School District.[14] Judge Davidson ruled that Itawamba County School District did violate McMillen's First Amendment rights by not allowing her to attend the prom with her girlfriend, not allowing her to wear a tuxedo and by cancelling the prom.[14] Judge Davidson wrote, "The court finds this expression and communication of her viewpoint is the type of speech that falls squarely within the purview of the First Amendment."[14] However, in favor of the Itawamba County School District, Judge Davidson ruled that he would not force the school district to hold the prom since a private prom had already been planned.[14] At the preliminary hearing, school board members testified that all junior and senior students would be allowed to attend the private prom but did not make it clear as to whether or not same-sex couples would be allowed to attend.[14] McMillen received no official information on, or an invitation to, the private prom.[15]

During the hearing, the school board testified that they cancelled the prom because the "media attention generated distracted the school from its educational mission, and that the board cancelled the prom in an attempt to restore order".[14] Judge Davidson said he was not swayed by that testimony because the high school's own principal had testified to the opposite, saying that "e-mail and phone calls generated by the controversy had no impact on classroom instruction".[14]"

Does anyone know what happened when it came to the 2011 Prom?

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 79 of 79  •  Prev 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook