Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 7:30AM #1
MarcosRamos

After clicking on Hot Topics, ones sees Sexuality and so, of course, this is sexy and very enticing; click again; then one sees Sexual Orientation Discussion, OK what's on the menu here?

Belief.net says: "Discuss homosexuality, same-sex marriage, and other topics relating to Sexual Orientation and faith."

OK, does that mean "faith" as in religion, biblical interpretations, spirituality, gay churches and vigorous debates on fundamentalist's anti-gay rhetoric and clobber verses?

Inquiring minds want to know! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 10:27AM #2
Lutz

Apparently one has several choices---including specifically listed faiths, as well as the sexual orientation section---on which to opine on faith and gay women and men.

Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, of course.  Some of my best friends are gay.

My main observation is that faith is anti-science, anti-biology, anti-genetics, anti-humane, anti-common sense re gays.  Faith is accepting dogma without evidence, facts or common sense; just believe without introspection or reason or ethics: just be anti-gay and ya'all be saved.  I don't buy the whole "God Hates 'Fags'" thing of the Faith Agenda.  I believe in love, scientific humanism, reason, ethics and a morality that includes recognition of the reality of sexual orientation being something that just is... like left handedness, skin and eye color etc.

You have to choose your faith; you don't get to choose your (straight or gay) orientation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 8:34PM #3
REteach

A short history lesson.  Once upon a time, sexual orientation could be discussed on any board.  The flame wars could have provided energy for a small town.  The wars would spill over onto several threads on a board.  Sometimes a post by a member known to be gay that had absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation would be derided simply because the poster was known to be gay.

Boards devoted to specific religions could also discuss sexual orientation on their boards--where nobody could challenge them unless they were members of that religion.  Lots of the gay members were unhappy that dreck was being posted about them and they could not challenge it.  

So, the decision was made to force all the sexual orientation discussions to occur in a tightly moderated place.  The idea behind the Faith and Sexual Orientation boards was that it would allow members of that specific religion, and respectful guests, a place to discuss how their faith tradition should respond to the societal changes that were occurring.  

It is instructive, and I believe a good sign, that things have gotten very quiet. They are allowing discussions to occur more broadly now as a result.  But those of us here during the flame wars remember...

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 8:40PM #4
Tudobem

and so, ReTeach, does that mean that it's still OK to clobber away with those fundamentalists texts?... I'm just saying...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 8:46PM #5
Austa

I'm a new comer to this community of posters on sexuality and faith. I've observed some who feel that this is strictly secular, but yet belief.net uses the word "faith" so I assume it's OK to bring religion into the mix? Right?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 9:00PM #6
REteach

Mar 9, 2010 -- 8:40PM, Tudobem wrote:

and so, ReTeach, does that mean that it's still OK to clobber away with those fundamentalists texts?... I'm just saying...

Well, if you need ammo, here is a blast from the past: www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.as...

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 9:15PM #7
Austa

W.C. Fields, an avowed atheist, on his deathbed was seen by one of his friends reading the Bible.  
His astonished friend asked, "What the hell are you doing?"
W.C. said, "Looking for loopholes." 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 9:16PM #8
REteach

Well, CoG, fortunately you do not have to read them all.  Alas, I do.  What Faith has posted is not new.  The weird thing is that some people who have spouted all kinds of fundamentalist stuff just like Faith have actually come back later and apologized.  MM has actually evolved a lot (hope you don't mind me saying that).  

However, being open-minded is not a requirement for becoming a Beliefnet member.  It is generally not appropriate to post verses without commentary, but the commentary doesn't have to be reasonable.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 9:24PM #9
Tudobem

OK, I think I get it, thanks!

I forgot who said it, but it seems to fit some posters:  "Love ya, homos; now change or be celibate!" followed by some cutting and pasting from Pastor Fred on the Homos.

I do think, myself, that cutting and pasting from web sites is a bit much.  TMI; we can all google, don't need that to debate our own thoughts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 4:11AM #10
Tudobem

I think, Grace, the word you are looking for is Ambiguity. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook