Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View CHOOSE YE THIS DAY WHOM YE WILL SERVE.
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 1:44PM #1
faith713

THE THOUGHT which our Lord apparently wished to impress upon His disciples was that there is a principle involved in service --that no one can possibly render full service to two opposing interests, two opposing masters; for the one would surely be neglected in the interest of the other. There would be more or less of a preference shown. After making a general observation regarding the impossibility of serving two masters, the Lord applied this principle, saying, "Ye cannot serve God and Mammon"--God and selfishness, righteousness and unrighteousness. Man was originally God's servant. It was natural for him to appreciate the Divine character and arrangements and to render willing service. But mankind were deceived as they got under the control of the great Adversary, being influenced by the powers of evil, the chief effects of which have been ignorance, superstition and selfishness.

One of the deplorable conditions of the present time is that from birth selfishness is almost forced upon one. Man learns to give his time, his influence, for selfish purposes and projects. He fails to see that God is the One who should be served at any cost. But men were born and shapen in iniquity. They are servants of Sin, slaves of Sin. But our Lord Jesus pointed out that through the knowledge of Himself and compliance with His terms of discipleship, there came a release from this slavery, an opportunity to pass over to the side of righteousness.

However, an opportunity to take a stand for right came before our Lord's day. As a knowledge of God was granted to any people, they had an opportunity to assert themselves on the side of right. At the time when the Law Covenant was given, God set forth the principles of righteousness in that Law. The whole nation of Israel accepted God as their Savior, and entered into a Covenant with Him that they would be His loyal people. Yet after they had done this, the influences of evil in their flesh became manifest. They sought to be the servants of God and at the same time of self, dividing their interests between God's affairs and the affairs of self.

A WORTHY EXAMPLE SET

Jesus pointed out this particular fact, and told the people of His day that it was impossible to perform this half-hearted service--they could not serve two masters, for nobody would be pleased. If they were to serve Mammon, serve the Present Order of things, then they could not be pleasing to God. If they wished to serve God, serve righteousness, to whatever extent they did this they would be displeasing to the world; they must be servants of either the one or the other; the two services combined would be impossible.

The example of our Lord Jesus when He came to earth, was in harmony with this position; for He fully renounced the world and made absolute consecration of His life to God and His service. Thus He set us an example. All who have the same spirit should walk in His steps. This was in accordance with the Jewish Law: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy mind, with all thy being, with all thy strength." Any one who kept this Law would not be serving self; for his service would be all for God.

Those who are following in the Master's footsteps are all for God, or, as we sometimes sing, "All for Jesus." As we follow the example of Jesus, and walk as He walked, we are rendering whole-hearted service to God. The result of serving this Master will be a great reward. "Him hath God highly exalted, and given Him a name above every name." And the Church has been invited to follow Him. So we should serve God in everything, with all our heart, mind, soul, strength. This is our commission. This we are to do to the point of sacrificing all earthly interests and of laying down our lives for the brethren. This course, followed faithfully to the end, will bring us to the same reward that Jesus received-- glory, honor, immortality.

www.agsconsulting.com/htdbv5/r5666.htm

Is Homosexuality Really A Sin?

As far as the laws of modern society, it may not be. But as far as the law of God, which is the paramount law that true Christians are concerned with, it shouldn't even be debatable. For the serious Bible believer (keyword being, serious) any attempted defense for this sexual orientation would appear silly, or even laughable if it weren't so serious. God's Word on the matter is crystal clear, and it is not subject to either private interpretations, or the social or political climate of the day.

Leviticus 18:22-23

• "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
  • Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion."

God plainly calls it an abomination, a disgusting act that is abhorrent to God. It is declared along with other unnatural acts such as sodomy and bestiality. God commanded a severe punishment upon anyone who would indulge in this abomination.

Leviticus 20:13

• "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Can Homosexuals be Christians? This precept of God is unambiguous, concise, and plainly stated. And it bridges on the nonsensical to hear some people attempt to defeat the creator's condemnation of homosexuality. According to the law of God, this activity of a man lying sexually with another man, is a [towebah] or abomination. In other words, it's something that is blatantly unclean and disgusting to God. This Hebrew word literally means something loathsome or detestable. So if we are to be led by the authority of the Holy scriptures, we must accept that homosexuality is something that is unnatural and abhorrent to God because it is against order of creation. Anyone attempting to make a defense of this act by claiming that it is not really sin, or that this merely addresses ritualistic abomination, has no real concept of the biblical principle that "God's Word is not subject to our private or personal interpretations." In our day the plague of homosexuality is sweeping over the world like a malignant disease, and it lashes out against every moral, lawful, and chaste fiber of faithfulness and obedience to God. Yet instead of warning against this wickedness, most Christians are silent as it gains respectability, and even acceptability in some Churches. Instead of outrage, Christian pastors are speaking about toning it down, compassion, and of our need for tolerance. But these are euphemistic words for capitulation and compromise. In order to remain faithful to God, Christians must not be deceived, but continue to preach and teach against the growing apostasies such as homosexuality, divorce, fornication, abortion, adultery, and all forms of ungodly immorality. For these are perilous and deceptive times in which we live. The trial of our faith makes manifest the Godly, and those who simply have a form of Godliness.

2nd Timothy 3:1-5

• "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
  • For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
  • Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
  • Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
  • Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

In great numbers people are lovers of themselves (what we today call humanism), covetous or materialistic, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures (hedonism) more than lovers of God. It is in this arena of degradation that we see not only the growth and tacit acceptance of homosexuality, but also the spurious denials by many that this is even a sin against God. Even though the law of God plainly declares that "If a man lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination," there are those who would remove God's words from the Bible with lips dripping with the juices of nullification. Nevertheless, God is not mocked, and transparent justifications will hide no one in the day of vengeance.

www.mountainretreatorg.net/apologetics/h...

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 2:07PM #2
REteach

covetous or materialistic, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures (hedonism) more than lovers of God.

Just highlighting the words of God that apply to your own posts.  

Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Mark 12:31
The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Matthew 7:3
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye

Matthew 7:12

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Your posts are in violation of the teachings of Jesus. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 2:17PM #3
dblad

Faith, how many times are you going to repeat the same commentary? You seem to think that you are posting something new, something that gays have never heard before!

... go on to Romans 2 for the real message.

Any reputable Bible scholar will tell you that when the original manuscripts
were written in the languages of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, in none of
these languages did the word "homosexual," or any viable translation of the
word, exist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 3:18PM #4
Lutz

Faith:  If you believe so much in the literal truth of the bible, then what about Paul in the New Testament when he says that it is THE LAW for women to remain silent in the churches, have no leadership role, be submissive to their husbands etc.

So do you think all the female preachers, teachers, choir members should just shut up already in your fundamentalist churches?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 6:43PM #5
MarcosRamos

Whatever is good for gays I choose; plus rational thought, justice for all, scientific inquiry, ethical behavior and a spirituality that is inclusive and respectful to every sexual orientation.  I choose St Augustine's principle of charity in biblical exegesis and a knowledgeable understanding and appreciation of the cultural and historical context of scripture of the ancient primitive Jewish tribes where sexual orientation was as unknown as the knowledge of biology and genetics was unknown.  I reject bias, prejudice, bigotry and homophobia.  I choose loving my gay neighbors as myself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 6:53PM #6
Janeiro

I choose to avoid the ideas of literal fundamentalism, extremism and homophobia for surely Hell is the ideas of fundamentalism which target gays for spiritual spite and abuse.  It seems to me that their ideas make a fetish of ignorance and stupidity choosing to remain in the darkness of bigotry and away from the sunshine of knowledge and reason and science.  I thank God everyday for my freedom of conscience and for my brain and my compassionate feelings for those who are the lest among us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 7:01PM #7
REteach

I don't believe in Satan. However, if I did, the OP is a perfect example of how I think he'd work.  Use faith in God to foment hate and discrimination. Completely turn God's command to love others as you love yourself on its head.  Blame God for evil.  Totally brilliant. 

Fortunately enough of us have figured out that bit of perversity.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2010 - 6:53AM #8
marshal

FAITH:  I note that you posted several Leviticus texts with approval so I guess you also expressly approve of selling sex slaves as outlined in various rules governing this practice for a man who sells his daughter into slavery... that's OK cuz it's in the Bible, FAITH?

Read it and weep and DEFEND it here, FAITH!  Exodus 21:7-11

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2010 - 7:04AM #9
Elvaleryn

I'm not trying to argue with anyone as I believe that everyone has the right to believe what they choose (as long as it isn't harming someone) but this kind of thing has been on my mind for a while.

Why is it people who are vehemently against homosexuality always preach the same Bible quotes and act as if they will  spontaneously combust in a hellish flame for even typing out the word "homosexual" but when people mention other aspects of the bible such as how women should be silent, incest is alright, you should not pay taxes, etc, etc, suddenly they just clam up or start spouting off some random mumbo about Satan.

Why do they take the homosexuality thing with such seriousness and adhere to it in every day life but then toss aside the other things out of mere inconvenience and twist it around to make it alright? Why does not one of those kinds of people see the irony in that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2010 - 7:14AM #10
Austa

Faith... your idea of debate is to merely post someone's else's ideas and then refuse to actually discuss in detail and defend your anti-gay bigotry.  This is called being a fundamentalist Cafeteria Christian who only selects which verses to use as spiritual spite while ignoring the inconvenient ones... as FOR EXAMPLE posting something from the Old Testament which supports your anti-gay denial of sexual orientation, but then refusing to defend the fact that Slavery... even selling your own daughter is OK in the Old Testament.

To me, Faith, this truly reveals something horribly cruel and ugly about your ideas:  You Use The Bible To Target Others, To Club Others, To Judge Others, To Hate Others.  Is this your idea of loving your gays neighbors as yourself? Really, Faith, think about your obsession with gays and lesbians.  Is one of Your 10 Commandants to specifically target gays for spiritual abuse?  The Bible used as a Clobber Force for Gay Bashing? What an ignoble,disgusting use of the Bible when Jesus never said anything about sexual orientation or gay marriage, but his principles where based on charity. Biblical exegesis is far more flexible and context and culture and the ancients lack of knowledge about sexual orientation must be factored into our thinking today about gays and lesbians.  Do you endorse stoning gays too?

Today modern science, biology, genetics, psychology, reason, common sense, compassion and love of our gay neighbors guides many of us.  And, no, we don't endorse fathers selling their daughters into slavery just because it's in the Bible.  

Faith, frankly, woman to woman, your ideas are a disgrace to Christianity!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook