Switch to Forum Live View Historical Perspective
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 9:14PM #1
REteach

I am reading a murder mystery by a British writer from 1967.

Here is a bit of dialog:

"They're a spiteful lot, queers.  Not violent on the whole. BUt spiteful." And in another place "He didn't want his money shared with a pansy boyfriend."

1967 is not that long ago.  This kind of writing had a big impact on me, because it was the only "contact" I had with gay people--at least to the best of my knowledge. 

I think there are a lot of people out there whose impression of gay people is just as based in reality as this fictional story is.  It's time to move beyond the prejudices of the past.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 3:06AM #2
Sirronrex

Jan 13, 2010 -- 9:14PM, REteach wrote:

1967 is not that long ago.  This kind of writing had a big impact on me, because it was the only "contact" I had with gay people--at least to the best of my knowledge. 

Testimony at the Prop 8 trial yesterday...

Perhaps most chillingly, Professor Chauncey described deliberate government campaigns in the 1950s to demonize gay people as dangerous sexual deviants and child molesters.  Those campaigns included an executive order by President Eisenhower directing the federal government to identify and fire all gay federal workers – and also requiring private businesses with government contracts to do the same.  In the words of one federal publication from the 1950s, “one homosexual can ruin an entire government office.” State governments – including California -- adopted similar campaigns, churning out official reports and “public education” materials labeling gay men as violent, psychopathic predators who posed a grave threat to children and families.

pamshouseblend.com/diary/14812/shannon-m...

1950 isn't that long ago. The impact and influence of such baseless and blatant prejudice is encapsulated in the passage of Prop 8 and other similar fecal matter.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2010 - 10:55AM #3
MarcosRamos

January 2010

The independent student newspaper, The Observer, for the University of Notre Dame and St Mary's College in South Bend, Ind very recently published an offensive anti-gay cartoon.

The cartoon depicts a conversation that says "the easiest way to turn a fruit into a vegetable is with a baseball bat!"

How do you like those apples?!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2010 - 12:47PM #4
REteach

www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/01/18/q...;

The apology is a day late and a dollar short.  I do wonder, though, if this might be a good lesson.  That joking about hate is not funny. 

An excellent letter to the editor here:  http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/viewpoint/saint-mary-s-straight-and-gay-alliance-1.1011656  "Whether or not you realize it, when you write such a comic, or in the case of the editor, allow it to be printed, you are responsible for the message it carries and what it implies. " 

I wish more bigots understood that. And, yes, when you hate or despise groups of people because of what they inherently are, you are a bigot. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2010 - 12:52PM #5
Tudobem

I think one of the cartoonist and/or the newspaper staff said the cartoon was meant to show homophobia.  Well, I guess it did.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook