Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Protect California from Divorce
5 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2009 - 1:48PM #1
Shadeosg

A wonderfully hilarious site.

rescuemarriage.org/

My favorite quote is:

It’s a parent’s responsibility to teach their child about reality — not the state’s.

Sure, divorces happen — but they don’t need to know that.

We live in a pro-divorce culture. Our children are constantly being taught that divorce is “OK” by television, films and even our evening news programs. And now it is even taught in our children’s textbooks that getting divorces is not only a “right” — but actually preferable in some circumstances.

I’m Catholic. My faith teaches me that divorce is a sin. I don’t believe that the government should be indoctrinating our children — telling them that divorce is “cool” or “legally permissible.” That type of moral decision should be taught within the confines of the family. It is not the government’s job to teach our children what to think about the morality of divorce.

When my child read that Ronald Reagan had gotten a divorce in his history textbook, he cried for a week. Shame on you, public school system! It’s a parent’s responsibility to teach their child about reality — not the state’s.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2009 - 11:01PM #2
Kimrdhbsms

And mentioning that Ronald Reagan had been divorced is the same as saying it's "cool"????

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 5:07PM #3
mytmouse57

Sep 13, 2009 -- 11:01PM, Kimrdhbsms wrote:

And mentioning that Ronald Reagan had been divorced is the same as saying it's "cool"????

Didn't Ronald Reagan pretty much embody totaly coolness?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2009 - 4:48AM #4
Kimrdhbsms

If you mean "coolness" in the sense of absolutely cold, emotionless, unsympathetic, without any heart, then, yes, Reagan was cool. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2009 - 1:20PM #5
piecesofthewhole

That was awesome, Shade.  Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2009 - 2:48AM #6
mytmouse57

Oct 9, 2009 -- 4:48AM, Kimrdhbsms wrote:

If you mean "coolness" in the sense of absolutely cold, emotionless, unsympathetic, without any heart, then, yes, Reagan was cool. 

Oh, like, c'mon man, Ronald Reagan was, like, so totally cool... and gnarly!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2009 - 12:38PM #7
Shadeosg

We can probably meet halfway on this.  He was cool as The Gipper.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2009 - 1:57PM #8
mytmouse57

Oct 15, 2009 -- 12:38PM, Shadeosg wrote:

We can probably meet halfway on this.  He was cool as The Gipper.

LOL.... good one!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2009 - 7:55AM #9
REteach

I read today a Louisiana JP has a new way to prevent divorce.  He refuses to marry mixed race couples.  Ironically, he says he asks them if they are mixed race, so apparently in at least some cases it isn't obvious. 

Isn't it wonderful what heterosexual whites will do to promote the sanctity of marriage?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2009 - 10:34AM #10
mytmouse57

Oct 16, 2009 -- 7:55AM, REteach wrote:

I read today a Louisiana JP has a new way to prevent divorce.  He refuses to marry mixed race couples.  Ironically, he says he asks them if they are mixed race, so apparently in at least some cases it isn't obvious. 

Isn't it wonderful what heterosexual whites will do to promote the sanctity of marriage?

That's not a sound argument to support gay marriage. None of the "look at how hetros mess up marriage, and then have the gall say gays can't get married" arguments are sound.

It would be sort of like trying to argue the merits of and need for communism as an economic system by railing about how some corrupt CEOs have abused capitalism through white collar crime.

The only really sound argument for gay marriage -- the only one that is needed -- is that if marriage is or can be defined as a civil right, then there is no cause under the secular laws of our republic to deny two consenting adults access to it, regardless of gender. It is a matter for the courts -- not legislation or popular opinion -- to decide, and the courts have no plausible course of action but to rule in favor of civil rights. Therefore, gay marriage wins as a civil right. End of story, no effective counter-argument.

But, anyway, I've already posted a thread about the case in Louisiana on the racism thread. Feel free to go over there to discuss it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook