Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gates Looks to Ease Rules Against Gays
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 6:51PM #1
Stardove

Gates Looks to Ease Rules Against Gays

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Tuesday he wants to make the law prohibiting gays from serving openly in the armed forces "more humane" until Congress eventually repeals it. He said he has lawyers studying ways the law might be selectively enforced.

"One of the things we're looking at is, is there flexibility in how we apply this law?" Gates said.

Gates made his comment the same day that a military administrative board recommended that a National Guard officer and combat veteran who publicly announced he's gay should be discharged for violating the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Lt. Dan Choi would be the first New York National Guard member discharged for violating the policy against homosexual conduct, said Lt. Col. Paul Fanning, a spokesman for the New York Army National Guard.

More at link.

Words from Lt. Dan Choi:  After 10 years of service to our country -- including leading combat patrols,  rebuilding schools and translating Arabic in Iraq for 15 months -- the Federal  Recognition Board issued its recommendation on Tuesday that I be discharged from  the Army for "moral and professional dereliction" under the military's "Don't  Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

The board's decision to fire me is not the end.  Now that this panel of four officers has recommended my discharge, it still must  be approved by senior officials in the Army, a process that could take a few  weeks to a year. Unless something unexpected happens, it may be just a matter of  time before the Army officially fires me.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 8:08PM #2
REteach

Homeland security my gluteus.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 9:57PM #3
mountain_man

Jul 1, 2009 -- 6:51PM, Stardove wrote:

...Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Tuesday he wants to make the law prohibiting gays from serving openly in the armed forces "more humane" until Congress eventually repeals it. He said he has lawyers studying ways the law might be selectively enforced.....

Why go through all that BS. Obama is the Commander in Chief. All he needs to do, if he has any guts (he hasn't shown any yet) is issue an order that gays are allowed to serve openly and with all the respect and honor of anyone else. Those that wish to disrupt the "unit cohesion" by protesting can be given a general discharge.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 5:36AM #4
Ebon

DADT needs to go pronto. Obama might not be able to repeal the law but he can order it's non-enforcement while he works on repealing it. If gay people are good enough to fight and die for their country, they're good enough to not be forced to lie.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 8:24AM #5
REteach

A-frickn-men

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 9:56AM #6
Nepenthe

Good thing they got rid of Choi.  Now they can put in a young LT with no combat experience, no leadership experience, does not speak Arabic, but hey at least he isn't one of those unaturalz gayz.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 9:23PM #7
Stardove

Dan is not giving up and needs your help to keep on fighting. Please join Lt. Choi, the Courage Campaign, Knights Out and the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network in signing this letter to Speaker Pelosi.

I signed yesterday, as I did last week for letter that went to President Obama in support of Lt. Choi.  Please go to the link if you feel it is time to end Don't Ask Don't Tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your support for Dan has been amazing. 162,741 people signed Lt. Choi's letter to the Army. And, a few weeks ago, 141,262 people signed Lt. Choi's letter to President Obama. Combined, more than 300,000 signatures were collected on Lt. Choi's behalf and were submitted as "Exhibit E: Courage Campaign" to the Army.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 9:39PM #8
Dreamweever2

Thanks for sharing that link Stardove. I went and signed too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 9:57PM #9
Stardove

Jul 2, 2009 -- 9:39PM, Dreamweever2 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that link Stardove. I went and signed too.

Good deal.  Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 12:09AM #10
Stardove

This thread has been moved from the Hot Topic Zone.  From this point forward all guidelines and Rules of Conduct apply.  Thanks.

Co-host Hot Topic Zone ~ Stardove

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook