Switch to Forum Live View Same-Sex Union in a Catholic Church
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2009 - 4:36AM #1
Galtlovesgod

First, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my last post; your warm reception and helpful words were great to read.  I was all but decided, but I continue to have questions.  I'm back with another:

In TEC, same-sex unions can be blessed by a priest in the church.  He or she cannot solemnize it, but a prayer/blessing can be said and I'm pretty positive that it can actually take place within the church.  Would this be similar for the RCC?  Would it be possible to have an RCC priest bless a same-sex union in an RCC church?  It's very important for me to have a church ceremony.  As one of Christ's faithful, I really want to commit myself in His house. 

I hope this posting finds you all well. 

God's peace,

Seth

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2009 - 10:41PM #2
Mareczku

You might be able to find a priest to do this but it would be very hush-hush because officially it is a no-no.  While most Catholics are accepting of gay people there is a small minority who see gay people as  inferior or non-persons and the higher ups do not wish to antagonize the people that hate homosexuality and gay people. 

Peace - Mareczku 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 10:45AM #3
Gaycatholic

It may be difficult to find a priest to do so, but you should know that when you do, you will be fully within the oldest traditions of the Church. The ancient Roman churches, and some Slavic ones, are known to have used liturgical rites of blessing same sex uinions.  Some ahve argued these rites were for ritual "brotherhood"- but male lovers in Rome foten called themselves "brothers".  As late as the 16th century, there is a famouos report of a male couple who were married in a church in Rome.  In the early church, and even in the 19th Century, there have been many pirs of men, as well as women, who have been buried in church graves in exactly the same way as many conventionally marreid couples.

In spite of vatican propoganda, it is important that we as LGBT Christians reclaim our place in Church history: the modern opposition is NOT rooted in either Scripture or the tradtion of the early church.

(See my regular blog "Queering the Church" for much more.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 11:10AM #4
lulu2

The reason the Catholic Church is the Catholic Church, is because it stands firm, on what it sees, as those Principles that define them.. Birth control when I was sexually active, was not sactioned, I felt they should change their policy, to suit my needs. I was wrong.

I believe the Church has to hold on to its principles, and beliefs, as an ethical being sould. One of the most important principles of the Catholic Church is, the preservation of life. They see "marriage", as the union of man and woman. Only that union, holds the " spark of life"

Their belief about marriage is less about being gay, than it is about Natural Law. Its more about propagating the faith, and  continuing life. (children)

God loves all his children, however not all his children have the same purpose.  However, when it comes to the production of life, God gave that gift to the opposite sexes.

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 12:35PM #5
Gaycatholic

As I noted previously, the Church has not always  adhered to this so-called 'principle' that sex, or even marriage, was only between men and women.  Investigate history, and you will find this to be true:  the church has in the past recognised numerous same sex unions, and consecrated openly homosexual bishops.  For more than half iof Church history, it was only a minority in the Church who saw same sex relationships as morally wrong. This "principled" opposition is a relatively modern invention.

As for Natural Law, this states we should act according to our innate natures.  For people with an innate same sex orientation, which occurs in all societies, has done throughout history, and occurs in all animal species, our innate nature is to have relationships with the same sex.

For LGBT people, it is heterosexual intercourse that is "against nature"

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook