Post Reply
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Sexuality: Sinful or Sacred?
5 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2009 - 5:29PM #21
angpuppy
Posts: 520

Apr 20, 2009 -- 1:11PM, Drdeb wrote:


I think Christianity offers many lessons about our sexuality somehow being sinful. "Lust," for example, is one of the seven deadly sins and people who have sex outside of a marital union are basically condemning themselves.

On the other hand, Christian mystics offer a different point of view. In Teachings of the Christian Mystics, Matthew Fox wrote, "All lovemaking (as distinct from 'having sex') is Christ meeting Christ. Love beds are altars. People are temples encountering temples."

This perspective aligns more closely to what I read in Buddhist, Hindu, Indigenous, Jewish, Muslim, New Age, Pagan, and Taoist texts related to spirituality, particularly from a mystical standpoint. Sex itself is neither good nor bad, but if two people approach sexuality with LOVE, then it can be viewed as sacred. 

I wrote a full article about this here: Your Sacred Sexuality.

What do you think? 




The 7 deadly sins is a Catholic list.  These should not be confused with the Catholic teaching on mortal sins.  The 7 deadly sins are basically those things within the heart that motivate acts of sin.  They have opposing virtues and it is acknowledge that there is a battle in the human heart between virtue and vice. 


Lust is defined as the "the disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure."  It is not saying that enjoyment of sexual pleasure is bad, or that the desire for sex is bad.  It is defining lust as the disordered parts of our desire.  The general principle is that all sin opposes Christian charity.  Christian charity has a heavy focus on the dignity and value of the human person.  A person is never to be used as a means to an end.  The person is always more valuable than the pleasure, and thus lust basically the motivation to use sexuality in a way that negates the esteeme we should have for ourselves and for other people.


The opposing virtue is chastity which is defined as:  "successful integration of sexuality within the person and thus the inner unity of man in his bodily and spiritual being. Sexuality, in which man's belonging to the bodily and biological world is expressed, becomes personal and truly human when it is integrated into the relationship of one person to another, in the complete and lifelong mutual gift of a man and a woman.  The virtue of chastity therefore involves the integrity of the person and the integrality of the gift."


In other words, the chaste person abstains from sexual acts prior to marriage as an act of sincere expression of the spiritual reality:  that they are not in a lifelong relationship involving the complete mutual gift of self to the other person. 


Ultimately God's will is that we be loved unconditionally.  We're not supposed to give our hearts away only to have them broken.  God intends for us to make the conscious decision to first love completely and unconditionally (this commitment being marriage) before we give ourselves to the other person.  This can lead a person to questioning what the gift of self is.  Is it merely giving yourself physically or is there more to chastity than physical behavior?


The condemnation Christ gives of divorce is a yes to authentic love, recognizing that love is more of a virtue, an act of the will, than it is an emotion.  Certainly being in a relationship creates a bond of love between two people, but the success of that relationship -- whether that relationship is loving or not-- is based on our personal choices in behavior and how we treat the other.  Where do we fail to love them? Do we have arguments based on selfishness, demanding things of each other that are not about giving yourself, but about taking something or using the other person.  It could be using the other person to build your self esteem, constantly demanding they praise you and overaffirm their love for you.  It can be demanding of them too much sexually or denying things sexually in a marriage for selfish reasons as well.  It can be putting career ambitions ahead of your relationship. 


Relationships break down when people use each other rather than love each other.  And the thing about the spark that often first brings two people together, is that it is based on selfishness - during the honeymoon phase of your relationship, you are rewarded for loving the person.   As such its easier.  Its not that this phase is bad, but rather that the love is imperfect and immature.  Christ challenges married individuals to a greater love.  And in doing so, he challenges people to not settle for a lesser love and commitment. 


Ultimately waiting for marriage is about waiting for a truer love.  Its not about waiting to be in love and on cloud nine.  Its about waiting for a marital love, for conjugal love.


So the teachings are about sex being sacred.  Sin is only that which profanes the sacred.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2009 - 8:29AM #22
samuelbb7
Posts: 427

Excellent post and Amen.Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 1:43PM #23
David
Posts: 287

to me, lust and love are two sides of the same coin...we are human beings, first and foremost with human emotions and drives...called to be spiritual and one with God..but we are human...and when I am in a committed relationship(been a very long time)lust as well as love is there...and I feel the closest to God Spiritually....Smile 


 


great comments here and everyone have a blessed day!


 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 7:21PM #24
sterrettc
Posts: 89

Apr 20, 2009 -- 3:53PM, SatanicStalker wrote:


Sex is neither sinful nor sacred, not in itself. ...


If you've decided to build a ritual around your sex and have it for the purpose of religion, then I suppose it could be sacred. 


Sex is natural. ... To make sex sacred would be to wrap a good meal up in a lengthy ritual. 


~Stalker




I disagree.  There does not need to be any ritual involved for something to be sacred, and many sacred things are natural.  For those who believe that all good things come from the divine, the sacred can be found in a mountain or a tree, whose only rituals are the cycles of days and years,



Apr 22, 2009 -- 3:13PM, nieciedo wrote:


Sexuality, like everything else in the universe, just plain is. Sacred or sinful, good or evil, right or wrong -- those come from us. Sexuality, like everything else, is what we choose to make of it.


Sex can be used for good or for evil. It can fun, pleasurable, recreational, a bonding experience. It can also be a tool for exploitation, abuse, assault, and selfish objectification.


There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.




From this perspective, however, the words themselves lose meaning, and might as well not exist.  But they do exist and do so because we can recognize, albeit not infallibly and not without debate, that some things are sacred and other things are sinful, that somethings are good and other things are evil, and that some things are right and other things are wrong.  You cannot tell the mother of a murder victim that it is only thinking that makes murder bad.  You will never convince those who have experienced a contact with the divine that it is only their thinking.  Are they only experiencing delusions?  No!  There is a reality to experience.  There is a reality to Sacred and Sinful, Good and Evil, and Right and Wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 2:05PM #25
David
Posts: 287

I believe that sexuality came from God..and is therefore sacred..and if God created anything better than sex, He kept it for Himself..Wink


have a great day!


david


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2012 - 11:57PM #26
Mastergunny
Posts: 56

Apr 23, 2009 -- 9:03PM, nieciedo wrote:


Probably because of the notion that sex is dirty, sinful, and bad and so Jesus, being pure and sinless, wouldn't have gotten involved in any of that icky stuff.





How bout He wasn't married, also sex isn't dirty or sinful in a marriage. It is in fact encourged.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 18, 2013 - 5:53PM #27
StoryMing
Posts: 39

It is sad that this question even needs to be asked. God CREATED sexuality, He created it to be sacred, and (according to Christianity) it is BECAUSE it is sacred that it should not be debased.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 24, 2013 - 9:27AM #28
Do_unto_others
Posts: 9,155

Jul 18, 2013 -- 5:53PM, StoryMing wrote:


It is sad that this question even needs to be asked. God CREATED sexuality, He created it to be sacred, and (according to Christianity) it is BECAUSE it is sacred that it should not be debased.





That is only your belief. Others believe differently. Which is the joy of freedom of religious belief - EVERYONE gets to have it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 31, 2013 - 2:04PM #29
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,790

Jul 18, 2013 -- 5:53PM, StoryMing wrote:


It is sad that this question even needs to be asked. God CREATED sexuality, He created it to be sacred, and (according to Christianity) it is BECAUSE it is sacred that it should not be debased.




But what debasement is depends entirely on personal opinion. Sexuality comes in many different types. 


Now personally, I think people should only have sex with people they actually love. But I am not the queen of the world. Neither are you.


 And as long as it is being done by consenting adults it is perfectly fine. And can have psychological benefits for the parties involved.  


So really the only way that sexuality is debased is when not with consenting adults. It is perfectly fine and sacred as long as consenting adults.


Your religious beliefs are entirely your own. And should not be forced on others

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook