Switch to Forum Live View Methodism and Homosexuality
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 11:48AM #1
poolec2008
Homosexual persons no less than heterosexual persons are individuals of sacred worth. All persons need the ministry and guidance of the church in their struggles for human fulfillment, as well as the spiritual and emotional care of a fellowship that enables reconciling relationships with God, with others, and with self. The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching. We affirm that God's grace is available to all, and we will seek to live together in Christian community. We implore families and churches not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends. We commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons.
  Certain basic human rights and civil liberties are due all persons. We are committed to supporting those rights and liberties for homosexual persons.

From The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church - 2004. Copyright 2004 by The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by permission.

We see a clear issue of simple justice in protecting their rightful claims where they have shared material resources, pensions, guardian relationships, mutual powers of attorney, and other such lawful claims typically attendant to contractual relationships that involve shared contributions, responsibilities, and liabilities, and equal protection before the law.

Moreover, we support efforts to stop violence and other forms of coercion against gays and lesbians. We also commit ourselves to social witness against the coercion and marginalization of former homosexuals.

From The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church - 2004. Copyright 2004 by The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by permission.

resources: http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1728, and http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1753
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 12:46PM #2
JonAtFaithUCC
And...? 

(it'd be nice to know your own thoughts on this subject)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 3:30PM #3
Sirronrex

The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching.

Please define "the practice of homosexuality".   I am a homosexual. I don't practice being a homosexual...I just am a homosexual.   What is it, specifically, that you find to be incompatible with Christian teaching?

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Apr 27, 2011 - 03:34AM

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 7:33PM #4
REteach

The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching.

Sorry, you can no more do this than say you don't condone blue eyes or red hair or lefthandedness, and then try to tell those with blue eyes or red hair or lefthandedness that you will try to love them anyway and overcome their unfortunate blue-eyed, redhaired, lefthandedness.

Not "condoning" innate characteristics is silly.  I suppose lots of pro-slavery people 200 years ago didn't condone dark skin either.

And, yes, sexuality is an innate orientation.  I never had to make a choice to be gay or straight, I just was what I was. The idea of "choosing" an orientation is so far beyond me, I can't even see it.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2009 - 8:15PM #5
Cmurphy

God will require all to be heterosexual when God makes "pigs fly".

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 3:41PM #6
Heisgod1

John Wesley would be upset that the United Methodist Church is allowing homosexuals in the church to be openly gay and not repent. That's why I'm more of a free Methodist who is more of what John Wesley would be proud of not a United Methodist.!!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 5:35AM #7
Free_2_b_me

Apr 13, 2011 -- 3:41PM, Heisgod1 wrote:

John Wesley would be upset that the United Methodist Church is allowing homosexuals in the church to be openly gay and not repent. That's why I'm more of a free Methodist who is more of what John Wesley would be proud of not a United Methodist.!!!!

Well, John Wesley is only human, it shouldn't be what he wants even if he (and his brother Charles) were the founders of the Methodist movement. It's what God would want that truly matters, and I cannot fathom God being a bigot. Or is it your belief that John's motivation for founding the Methodist movement was so he could run things his way and not God's way?

Most people do not see the world as it is. They see it as they are.

Anna Leonowens
Anna and the King
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 12:56PM #8
mainecaptain

very nice response Free

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook