Switch to Forum Live View Connecticut Supreme Court Overturns Ban on Same-Sex Marriage
6 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2008 - 4:50PM #1
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]This news deserves a thread of its own, don'tcha think? :)

The Connecticut Supreme Court today struck down that state's ban on same-sex marriage, finding that same-sex couples have the right to marry.  That makes Connecticut the third state, after Massachusetts and California, to find same-sex marriage constitutional (and prohibitions against same-sex marriage therefore unconstitutional) in its state.

According to the [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]New York Times[/COLOR], the decision takes effect October 28, and same-sex marriages can be performed beginning some time next month.  [COLOR="royalblue"]The Lead[/COLOR] contains links to the court opinion. 

The Rev. Susan Russell, president of I[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]ntegrity[/COLOR], released this statement in response to the court's decision: 

Integrity applauds today’s Connecticut Supreme Court ruling in favor of marriage equality. "Today’s decision is a decision in favor of marriage and against bigotry," said Integrity President Susan Russell.

“It is another step forward toward making this a nation of liberty and justice for all – not just some – and it is a cause for celebration for all Americans. It is also a source of great encouragement for those of us working to preserve marriage for all in California.

"Integrity is committed to continue to work toward full inclusion for the LGBT faithful in the Episcopal Church and to advocate for equal protection for LGBT Americans – and we give thanks for those who made today’s Connecticut Supreme Court decision possible.”

(FYI, Russell's statement about California refers to a measure on the November ballot outlawing same-sex marriage.)

The Diocese of Connecticut blessed same-sex unions until a year or so ago, when the HOB declared on moratorium on the blessing of same-sex unions.  I don't know whether or how this ruling will change things in the diocese.

[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2008 - 5:16PM #2
journeying
47 to go.

Shel
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2008 - 3:06AM #3
Merope
[QUOTE=journeying;817113]47 to go.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Agreed.

It's gonna be tough, though.  The high courts in four states (New York, New Jersey, Washington, and Maryland) have ruled against a right to same-sex marriage.  Another 27 states have constitutional provisions defining marriage as between one man and one woman.  I think New York recognizes same-sex marriages performed in other states.  So far, no state has authorized same-sex marriage by legislation or popular vote, although if Prop. 8 fails in California, then the voters will have rejected a constitutional amendment limiting marriage to that between one man and one woman.

I guess Connecticut has a state constitutional convention called for next month, so the court's decision yesterday could be on the table for nullification by amendment.

I think we're moving in the right direction, though, slowly but surely.  And the more cases upholding same-sex marriage, the better because a body of favorable case law is thereby built.  From what I've read of the Connecticut opinion (and I've not read it all), it relies on much the same reasoning as in the California case.

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2008 - 11:14AM #4
Dutch777
Merope:
You're correct.  I should have started this as a separate thread instead of putting my post & link as an add-on.

If it's not too much trouble, would you pls. shift my last post to this thread?  tx.
:)
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2008 - 11:09PM #5
Merope
[QUOTE=dutch777;818252]Merope:
You're correct.  I should have started this as a separate thread instead of putting my post & link as an add-on.

If it's not too much trouble, would you pls. shift my last post to this thread?  tx.
:)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]No worries, Dutch.  But I couldn't work it.

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook