Page 1 of 82  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 82 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is the Bible silent on gay marriage?
6 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2008 - 11:22AM #1
MarcosRamos
The Bible is mute on gay sexual behavior which is consensual, monogamous and committed like a gay marriage, civil union or domestic partner.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2008 - 4:11PM #2
marshal
But the Bible marriage espoused in the OT is unlimited wives and concubines for men and marriage as soon as the female begins breasts and public hair, which means young girls of 13 years of age.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2008 - 12:34AM #3
Jenandew7
*chuckle*

Is this a conspiratorial effort?

In Genesis it says that God created Eve as Adam's companion.

Not as a sex object.

Annie (female)
If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2008 - 11:27AM #4
REteach
People who claim to believe in "Biblical" marriage clearly have not read the Bible.  I like my brother in law, but that doesn't mean I would have enjoyed being forced to marry him if my husband had died.  Likewise, our culture would be aghast at the idea of forcing a woman to marry her rapist and never divorce him.  While I realize some women might enjoy being part of a polygamous marriage, it wouldn't interest me.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 6:16PM #5
Doodlebug02
What a simple question.  Yes, the Bible is silent on gay marriage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 7:12PM #6
dblad

Doodlebug02 wrote:

What a simple question. Yes, the Bible is silent on gay marriage.

It is also silent on rocket ships to the moon.... sooooooo, do we sin by doing what the bible is silent on?

:D

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 7:30PM #7
Tmarie64
It's also silent on smoking, dinosaurs, baseball....
The bible, however, is NOT silent on homosexuality....

Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"

1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

Kinda hard to believe the bible would be FOR gay marriage if it says homosexuality is wrong.
Personally, I don't care what two adults do, as long as I don't have to watch.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 7:35PM #8
Genocon
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;921625]It's also silent on smoking, dinosaurs, baseball....
The bible, however, is NOT silent on homosexuality.... [/QUOTE]

That's what the Bible says in English. It's not as cut and dried in either the Greek or Hebrew.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 7:41PM #9
Tmarie64
Yeah... Since there are probably not any true Greek scholars here and I have yet to see any reputable sites with the Greek translation, I'll stick with what I've got.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 7:49PM #10
Genocon
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;921641]Yeah... Since there are probably not any true Greek scholars here and I have yet to see any reputable sites with the Greek translation, I'll stick with what I've got.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Ranchhand is quite proficient in Greek, as well as Hebrew. Unfortunately, he's not around much anymore.

But there's been more than enough debate over those verses here and on the old boards.... we used to have a "Clobber verses" thread on the old board that was a catch-all for that debate, but I don't think we have one here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 82  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 82 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook