Page 4 of 15  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Evolve or Change sexual orientation?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 12:51AM #31
Wmdkitty
THX!!!!!!!!!

::wanders off to read::
"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 3:10PM #32
Shadeosg
[QUOTE=abbysenia;622706]My friend also said that it was hypocritical   that gay activists would jump to an offensive posture with McClurkin but respond in a nearly celebratory move when the former governor or New Jersey came out.  It is true that the activist only responded in one way to McGovern because his actions met their approval, while MCclurkin's did not? Does a person actually have the ability and choice to not act on homosexual attraction and is that a healthy choice for some individuals?[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to touch on this point from your post.  Gay rights activists basically have to denounce any person who advocates anything less than being happily openly gay.  This does seem unfair on the face of it but is ultimately effective from a public relations standpoint.  While most of us would probably say "Let's pick our battles" anti-gay rights activists never seem to pick their battles either, challenging every single commercial, children's book, or law that may give gay folks some modicum of equality or happiness.

Is McClurkin making a valid personal choice to live his life the way he wants to?  Yes, absolutely.  But people can point to his choice and say to their children "See he can live right you should be able to also."  So for the well-being of gay folks who might be harmed emotionally by trying to mimic McClurkin's chosen path I think we do have to be vocal in opposition to him. 

Like your friend I was also surprised by the way we rallied around the former Governor of New Jersey.  He came out because he was caught and then was applauded for "doing the right thing."  Lance Bass got more flack from us for his poorly worded coming out than the governor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:38PM #33
REteach

ShadeOSG wrote:

I just wanted to touch on this point from your post. Gay rights activists basically have to denounce any person who advocates anything less than being happily openly gay. This does seem unfair on the face of it but is ultimately effective from a public relations standpoint. While most of us would probably say "Let's pick our battles" anti-gay rights activists never seem to pick their battles either, challenging every single commercial, children's book, or law that may give gay folks some modicum of equality or happiness.

Kind of like those "uppity" blacks in the 1960s. Damn that Rosa Parks and her sitting down on the bus lifestyle!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 2:22PM #34
abbysenia
Reteach,

I guess that makes the most since. It is a political charged issue, with each side attempting to surmount the other in the court of public oppinion. I also think the McClurkin brought this on himself in some regard when he decided to make this personal matter public.

I'm African American, I'm gay and I'm a Christian. I'm sure you would not be surprised at how often the issue of McClurkin comes up when I attempt to have a disccusion against anti-gay(anything).  I recently wrote my pastor about his views of homosexuality, and in his response on the inability to change he mentioned Donnie McClurkin.  I have attempted to get these people to view McClurkin more critically.
1. He is a gospel singer. His sexuality had been rumored and was being more openly discussed at this time of his annoucement. I ask, "Do you think he as a gospel singer would still have his popularity and success in that genre or most black music genre were he to say he was unappologetically gay?"
2. I and many, many, many, many other gay Christians has praved, cried, and fasted to be straight.  All the ones I know of have not been successful in this regard. Many of the so-called ex gay therapy groups have been embarassed from failure of their patients.  They are all repudiated by all major psychological associations in the U.S. for lacking scientific merit and integrity.

Those two major things and the things associate with them are enough for me.  However, I'm usually met with, "There's always and exception and you don't know the man or his life."  It's funny that they grasp for straws and don't even know or accept that they are grasping for straws.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 3:41PM #35
REteach
Total Top on the Christianity & Homosexuality thread has offered a considerable chunk of change to any ex-gay who is willing to be tested to see if they really are ex--you could try to set McClurkin up with him.

The problem is really twofold--one is that some people are legitimately bisexual and can legitimately fall in love with someone of either sex.  The other is that people can change their behavior to fit in, without changing their orientation.  That is really sad.

Good luck to you!
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 7:44PM #36
n0parkin
I'm responding to the first post.  I used to be gay.  Now I'm straight.  No biggy.  No pressure.  (shrug) It's no big deal.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 9:08PM #37
REteach
To me, that is the definition of bisexual, not heterosexual. We heterosexuals just are never interested in the same sex. Ever.  Probably not even so much an "ugh" as "huh, are you kidding?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 7:44PM #38
n0parkin
I'm responding to the first post.  I used to be gay.  Now I'm straight.  No biggy.  No pressure.  (shrug) It's no big deal.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 9:08PM #39
REteach
To me, that is the definition of bisexual, not heterosexual. We heterosexuals just are never interested in the same sex. Ever.  Probably not even so much an "ugh" as "huh, are you kidding?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 9:29PM #40
PaulaEdwina
I'm responding to the first post. I used to be gay. Now I'm straight. No biggy. No pressure. (shrug) It's no big deal.

Oh dear.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 15  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook