Switch to Forum Live View Gay men tied to population growth
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 11:19AM #1
dblad

PADOVA, Italy, June 24 (UPI) -- Italian scientists say they've found the same genetic factors leading to male homosexuality also lead to increased fertility in the homosexuals' mothers.

Source: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2008/06/24/Study_Gay_men_tied_to_population_growth/UPI-48961214335001/

Genetic factors? Did not know that had been established. Anyway an interesting article and only 5 short paragraphs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 12:24PM #2
dblad

The debate over the origin and evolutionary basis of human male homosexuality has attracted and continues to attract the attention of researchers and the public alike. One main source of interest is that various evidence collected in the last decades strongly points to the existence of genetic factors influencing male homosexuality or bisexuality (GFMH). A number of genetic or familial studies have even attempted the identification of the loci related to the trait, with not yet conclusive results. While clarifying various aspects of the phenomenon, the evidence-based assumption of a genetic loading for homosexuality in males also generates a number of questions. One especially puzzling fact regards the long-standing persistence of this apparently detrimental trait, with the associated stability of polymorphic human populations; this is a possible ‘Darwinian paradox’: since male homosexuals don't mate with the opposite sex, shouldn't any ‘genes promoting homosexuality’ have died out of the population by now?

[COLOR=black]Source: [/COLOR]http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0002282

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 1:31PM #3
Genocon
The "gay men don't mate" line is bull. Gay men have been marrying women and having children for centuries (as well as lesbians marrying men), because of intolerance of same-gender relationships and cultural pressures to have children. If there is a genetic basis for homosexuality, I think it's safe to say that's how it's survived all this time.

For scientists, they weren't too smart about that one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 4:06PM #4
dblad

Genocon wrote:

The "gay men don't mate" line is bull. Gay men have been marrying women and having children for centuries (as well as lesbians marrying men),.

The above conclusions indicate these models are inadequate for describing the known evidence on human male homosexuality. First, anecdotal accounts, whenever available, support the idea that homosexuality and bisexuality have always been present in past human populations;

The article goes on to state...in so many words that,...male homosexuality occurs at a low but stable frequency in a wide range of societies. Second, the female relatives of gay men produce children at a higher rate than other women do. Third, among these female relatives, those related to the gay man's mother produce children at a higher rate than do those related to his father. Fourth, among the man's male relatives, homosexuality is more common in those related to his mother than in those related to his father.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 4:21PM #5
JohnQ

dblad wrote:

The article goes on to state...in so many words that,...male homosexuality occurs at a low but stable frequency in a wide range of societies. Second, the female relatives of gay men produce children at a higher rate than other women do. Third, among these female relatives, those related to the gay man's mother produce children at a higher rate than do those related to his father. Fourth, among the man's male relatives, homosexuality is more common in those related to his mother than in those related to his father.

Very interesting.  Strangely enough, I have no gay uncles nor cousins (male nor female) on my fathers side of the family...which is quite a bit larger.  On my mother's side which is smaller....I have/had four gay first cousins.

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 7:19PM #6
dblad

JohnQ wrote:

Very interesting. Strangely enough, I have no gay uncles nor cousins (male nor female) on my fathers side of the family...which is quite a bit larger. On my mother's side which is smaller....I have/had four gay first cousins.

Another author studing the article makes this statement

[QUOTE]
...if the authors are correct, we're not really talking about genes for homosexuality. We're talking about genes for "androphilia," i.e., attraction to men. The importance of the genes lies in what they do not to men but to women, by increasing reproductive output so powerfully that these women compensate for the reduced output among their male relatives. You can't isolate gay men as a puzzle or problem anymore. You have to see them as part of a bigger, stronger, enduring phenomenon.
[/QUOTE]

You can find that article here: http://www.slate.com/id/2194232/

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 10:03PM #7
shadow_frog
[QUOTE=Genocon;588725]The "gay men don't mate" line is bull. Gay men have been marrying women and having children for centuries (as well as lesbians marrying men), because of intolerance of same-gender relationships and cultural pressures to have children. If there is a genetic basis for homosexuality, I think it's safe to say that's how it's survived all this time.

For scientists, they weren't too smart about that one.[/QUOTE]

i believe the point the scientists were making was that a gay male (of any species) is likely to have less children than a straight male simply because they will, on average, not have sex with females as often as straight males.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 10:11PM #8
dblad

shadow_frog wrote:

i believe the point the scientists were making was that a gay male (of any species) is likely to have less children than a straight male simply because they will, on average, not have sex with females as often as straight males.

And another point, is that gay males don't usually mate with lesbian women.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook