Page 19 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19
Switch to Forum Live View Polygamy (AKA, Slippery Slope Ahoy!)
6 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 7:35AM #181
Norm_uk

Jun 25, 2008 -- 3:24PM, Zachguy18 wrote:

Bear in mind that if polygamy were somehow revived, I should hope there's gender equality; not just one-man many-women, but also one-woman many-men, one-man many-men, one-woman many-gender, etc. etc. etc.  So... what are your opinions on it?

I think I would be happy to see social and legal acceptance of such relationships and believe you hit the nail on the head stressing gender equality. Men and women are not equal by nature but they have equal rights and one of those rights is the right to choose a partner or partners within the framework of consenting ADULT behaviour...

The problem won't be people in multiple relationships it will be the things people who are not in such relations will say to them...the intolerance, misunderstandings and  bigotry that will come from this will be terrible...

...at first. Then when we realise society hasn't collapsed, people still pay taxes, food is still in the fridge and the electricity still works it will only be a tiny minority who actively oppose this.

I actually like the idea that a child might have it's two biological parents and then at least one other "parent" who would be there to help care and raise the child.

And given over half of all people "cheat" in their marriages it's probably time we restructured marriage to fit human nature rather than the ideals of a particular doctrine.

N.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2009 - 5:50PM #182
appy20

"And given over half of all people "cheat" in their marriages it's probably time we restructured marriage to fit human nature rather than the ideals of a particular doctrine."

Or work toward changing that nature.   Afterall, that nature no longer serves us well and causes more problems than pleasure.   Evolution created the nature.  Selective breeding can change it.  I believe genetic altering will be able to change it.  Polygamy will do the very opposite.  It will increase the genetic pool that determines that nature.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 05, 2009 - 10:15PM #183
singspraise

Jun 25, 2008 -- 9:46PM, Mareczku wrote:

Polygamy could cause social unrest.  Most men with multiple wives would be rich men.  There would not be enough wives for the poorer men.  The non-favorite wives could end up being abused.  In Bible times when men had multiple wives the wives were seen as the property of the husbands.  I see the polygamy system as being one in which the women are more or less seen as posessions.  Most modern women would not stand for it.  I can imagine all of these wives fighting with each other.  What a mess.  Polygamy is the last thing we need.  Peace - Mareczku

to elaborate on your point and to also in a small way disagree with you I would like to point out that it is common (although most people dont think so and publically this is frowned upon)for rich men to get married, see another woman on the side and have another family in maybe another city, stateor even country, and not just rich men either, so in essence this is our cultural polygamy b/c having two or more legal wives is unacceptable in our western society.

now to get back to the point men sometimes want more than one woman but if he marries a woman he loves and never breaks the marriage vows by cheating then thats great! if you enter a marriage that is just between two ppl then it should stay that way as long as the marriage lasts.

however, there are  men who sleep with a woman and maybe she gets pregnant if they werent careful, maybe they were dating and maybe not, if this guy is married by law he cant take a second wife in order to take care of the woman and the child if they should both want to keep the child and also try to stay together maybe on the "side" (cultural polygamy).

my point is perhaps there would be more responsibility if marriages could be polygamous, instaed of high divorce rates and being torn between two "loves" you would all be married and responsible for eachother.  this is only if there is gender equailty and women arent seen as "property" but consenting adults coming together to form a relationship and build a big home ect...

there are pleanty of issues to be brought to the table regarding polygamy, while i only pointed out one factor, it should, however, be noted that we do have cutural polygamy as well as people creating households with more than one man and woman  and its just not legally recognized.

"first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"
-Mahatma Ghandi
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 19 of 19  •  Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook