Switch to Forum Live View All Saints (Pasadena) to Marry Same-Sex Couples
7 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 1:07AM #1
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]In the wake of the court's decision, All Saints in Pasadena says it will allow gay and lesbian couples to marry, presumably when the decision becomes final.  Story [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]here[/COLOR].

The vestry voted unanimously on Thursday (May 22) to "treat all couples presenting themselves for the rite of marriage equally."  All Saints currently blesses same-sex relationships.

All Saints' rector, Edwin Bacon, said:  "As a priest and pastor, I anticipate with great joy strengthening our support of the sanctity of marriage as I marry both gay and straight members and thus more fully live out my ordination vows to nourish all people from the goodness of God's grace."

The article reports that Jon Bruno, bishop of the Diocese of Los Angeles (the diocese in which All Saints is located), could not be reached for comment.  However, the article also reports that Bruno welcomed the court's decision when it was handed down.  I wonder how he'll respond.  He was pretty adamant after the HOB response to the Windsor Report in New Orleans last year that no blessings of SSUs would henceforth be permitted in his diocese.

The article also reports that a spokeswoman at 815 declined to comment on All Saints' decision.

The article says TEC "defines" marriage as between one man and one woman but doesn't give a source for that definition.  Certainly the BCP rubrics presume this and speak of "this man" and "this woman," as well as of "husband and wife."  The [COLOR="royalblue"]canon on matrimony[/COLOR] (Canon I.18), requires each spouse to sign a declaration that (among other things) they "hold marriage to be a lifelong union of husband and wife as it is set forth in the Book of Common Prayer" and that they believe "the union of husband and wife" is intended by God for, basically, the same reasons set forth in the BCP.

[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 2:14AM #2
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]Well, the canon specifies that a member of the clergy must ensure that both parties to the marriage "understand that Holy Matrimony is a physical and spiritual union of a man and a woman ... ."  So I guess that's TEC's marriage definition - genderwise - right there.

Crikey, how is All Saints going to get around that?  Can Bruno give dispensations?  OTOH, I'm thinking that - like the early and "irregular" ordinations of women in TEC before General Convention voted to ordain women - the marriage would be sacramentally and legally valid, even if "irregular."

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 8:50AM #3
journeying
I remember when women had to pledge to love, honor and obey their husbands.  In the 50s we winked at it and crossed fingers.  Most Americans have grown to accept women and men as partners and equals tho some have clung desperately to their opinion of what their idolized Bible says.  It is only a matter of time until most Americans will give up the prejudice, ick and silliness that same sex marriage will somehow harm society.  It will take the world longer.  I wish we didn't have to wait but people who feel threatened will do anything to keep their world stable no matter how unrealistic it is.

Shel
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 11:01AM #4
Dutch777
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080527/wl_canada_ … ican_col_1 The Diocese of Huron, Anglican Church of Canada, has just voted in favor of blessing SSU.
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 11:52PM #5
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]Apart from specific comment on All Saints' decision to marry same-sex couples, Bishop Bruno is setting the wheels in motion for all 6 California dioceses to examine canonical, prayer book, and pastoral issues raised by the court's decision.  ELO story [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]here[/COLOR].

According to the ELO article, Bruno is establishing a task force with other California bishops to help clarify how the court's decision will affect local congregations.

He is also setting up a task force within the Diocese of Los Angeles to "work through policies and procedures with reference to upholding the laws of the state of California" and TEC's constitution and canons, and to figure out how to have uniformity in response to the decision.  In a May 21 letter to diocesan clergy and lay leaders, he noted that the court's decision raised canonical, prayer book, and pastoral questions that have to be addressed.  In the letter, he also reminded folks that "pastoral acts are personal decisions between clergy and members of your congregation."  I think the latter comment gets All Saints off the hook.

Bishop Jim Mathes of the Diocese of San Diego also acknowledged, in a May 17 statement, that the issue remains a political firestorm.  He said, "While supporting the rights of gays and lesbians, I am mindful that our church has not yet made the decision to bless same-sex unions. ... We are in the midst of a challenging but vital conversation about holy relationships in this diocese and indeed across the Communion."

Bishop Marc Andrus of the Diocese of California has also said the decision gives TEC another opportunity to partner with the state of California to ensure that all families have the support they need to build relationships that strengthen our communities, state and country.

FYI, our diocesan bishops in California are:

Marc Andrus - Diocese of California
Barry Beisner - Diocese of Northern California
Jon Bruno - Diocese of Los Angeles
Mary Gray-Reeves - Diocese of El Camino Real
Jerry Lamb - Diocese of San Joaquin
Jim Mathes - Diocese of San Diego

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 11:52PM #6
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]Apart from specific comment on All Saints' decision to marry same-sex couples, Bishop Bruno is setting the wheels in motion for all 6 California dioceses to examine canonical, prayer book, and pastoral issues raised by the court's decision.  ELO story [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]here[/COLOR].

According to the ELO article, Bruno is establishing a task force with other California bishops to help clarify how the court's decision will affect local congregations.

He is also setting up a task force within the Diocese of Los Angeles to "work through policies and procedures with reference to upholding the laws of the state of California" and TEC's constitution and canons, and to figure out how to have uniformity in response to the decision.  In a May 21 letter to diocesan clergy and lay leaders, he noted that the court's decision raised canonical, prayer book, and pastoral questions that have to be addressed.  In the letter, he also reminded folks that "pastoral acts are personal decisions between clergy and members of your congregation."  I think the latter comment gets All Saints off the hook.

Bishop Jim Mathes of the Diocese of San Diego also acknowledged, in a May 17 statement, that the issue remains a political firestorm.  He said, "While supporting the rights of gays and lesbians, I am mindful that our church has not yet made the decision to bless same-sex unions. ... We are in the midst of a challenging but vital conversation about holy relationships in this diocese and indeed across the Communion."

Bishop Marc Andrus of the Diocese of California has also said the decision gives TEC another opportunity to partner with the state of California to ensure that all families have the support they need to build relationships that strengthen our communities, state and country.

FYI, our diocesan bishops in California are:

Marc Andrus - Diocese of California
Barry Beisner - Diocese of Northern California
Jon Bruno - Diocese of Los Angeles
Mary Gray-Reeves - Diocese of El Camino Real
Jerry Lamb - Diocese of San Joaquin
Jim Mathes - Diocese of San Diego

[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel