Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View California same sex marriage
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 5:39PM #1
Apishapa
California - The state Supreme Court decision striking down California laws banning same-sex marriage.  What do you think about this?   

According to The San Diego-Union Tribune:  "In California, supporters of same-sex marriage will have a new ally in the fall fight---Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger."   

The governor is Catholic.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 9:04PM #2
Prajna
And......

I'm happy with this decision.  This is a civil rights issue NOT a religious issue
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 2:14PM #3
newsjunkie
I was happy to hear the news. I see no reason to deny gay people the right to civil marriage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 2:52PM #4
LadyoftheWest
yay for the civils rights movement....whatever. As a catholic, i don't feel i can support this while knowing the church's view on marriage. But let me point this out. This is not the final point that homosexual people will demand. Soon they will start demanding that they their marriage be officiated in churches that are against gay marriage. They will demand the Church to recognize their marriage, which we cannot.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 5:32PM #5
Prajna
[QUOTE=LadyoftheWest;505950]yay for the civils rights movement....whatever. As a catholic, i don't feel i can support this while knowing the church's view on marriage. But let me point this out. This is not the final point that homosexual people will demand. Soon they will start demanding that they their marriage be officiated in churches that are against gay marriage. They will demand the Church to recognize their marriage, which we cannot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for seeing into the future for us.  Now we can just sit back and crucified. 

They said the same thing about women when they wanted the right to vote and hold property. And African-Americans.  Even people of different faiths.  .     

Hypocrisy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 6:55PM #6
Mareczku
Dear Lady of the West.  The point is not having the state force churches to marry anyone.  We have religious freedom here and churches can marry or not marry whomever they wish.  Some churches marry gay people and other churches don't.  The state does not  force churches to perform marriages.  I do hope that churches do recognize people who are married in other denominations even if they would not marry these people themselves.  The Catholic Church and some other churches see Matrimony as a Sacrament.  Other churches do not and many of these churches perform marriage ceremonies for same sex couples.  I think it is important that people have respect for others. 

Peace - Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 9:24PM #7
Prajna
this argument is going to probably be moved to the debate thread.

But, without using God, Church or religion tell me what is wrong with same-sex marriage
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 11:36PM #8
theduddha
[QUOTE=Prajna;506767]this argument is going to probably be moved to the debate thread.

But, without using God, Church or religion tell me what is wrong with same-sex marriage[/QUOTE]

Without using God, Church, or Religion, what is the point of addressing this at belief.net in the Catholic section? I personally agree with civil unions, but I believe that marrage is between a man and a woman, and the bible and church tradition agrees with that stand. (sorry I had to bring up church and religion).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 10:55PM #9
mountain_man

LadyoftheWest wrote:

yay for the civils rights movement....whatever. As a catholic, i don't feel i can support this while knowing the church's view on marriage......

Good. Then you do not have to marry a homosexual if you think it is wrong. The question is why do you feel you have to force your religious views on those that are not a member of your particular brand of religion?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 10:59PM #10
mountain_man

theduddha wrote:

Without using God, Church, or Religion, what is the point of addressing this at belief.net in the Catholic section? I personally agree with civil unions, but I believe that marrage is between a man and a woman, and the bible and church tradition agrees with that stand. (sorry I had to bring up church and religion).

That's the problem - people trying to force their religious views on others. It's a civil issue dominated by ancient religious beliefs being pushed as if they were the only view that is to be listened to. Why can't these religions just mind their own business?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook