Page 1 of 37  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Next
Switch to Forum Live View CA Supreme Court Decision
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:51PM #1
Beautiful_Dreamer

BetteTheRedde wrote:

This argument always makes me laugh. It's as if some bogey-man is going to strong arm these people into their very own gay marriage tomorrow... *chuckles*

LOL, I've never had a gay person try to 'recruit' me into being gay, but I have had MANY evangelicals/fundamentalists try to 'recruit' me into their camp, or condemn me to hell for having left it. So who's attempting to strong-arm who?

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:45PM #2
MedKit77
[QUOTE=Beautiful_Dreamer;504128]I'm happy that CA made this decision, and I hope other states will follow suit. Sad to say, I can't see my state (GA) or home state (NC) allowing gay marriage anytime soon, but one can hope. Too many Republicans/Religious Right people here.

Just for fun, what state do you think will be next to bring in gay marriage? Which one do you think will be the last?[/QUOTE]

Hmm. The next? Someplace with a good mixture of ethnicities and voters. I'm guessing maybe New York or someplace else in New England?

The last? I don't know that some states will EVER do it willingly. I'm guessing states in the deep South, Florida, Texas, and Utah are high on that list.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:42PM #3
Beautiful_Dreamer
I'm happy that CA made this decision, and I hope other states will follow suit. Sad to say, I can't see my state (GA) or home state (NC) allowing gay marriage anytime soon, but one can hope. Too many Republicans/Religious Right people here.

Just for fun, what state do you think will be next to bring in gay marriage? Which one do you think will be the last?
More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:39PM #4
MedKit77
[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]Everyone has their own appinion when it comes down to talking about gay marriage and their rights. But there is one problem! Gay sex period is wrong![/QUOTE]

What, precisely, do you define as "gay sex"? Whatever gays can do sexually, heterosexuals can do too.

Also, how can anything that occurs naturally be "wrong"?

[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]Not everyone in the United States is Christian. Although the Holy Bible the very book that layed the foundation of this nation condemns gay sex period.[/QUOTE]

You need to go back and reread your history. The bible had very little to do with the "foundation of this nation." This country is a democracy, not a theocracy. Apparently you missed the part of the Constitution that guarantees freedom of religion, which also means freedom FROM religion.

[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]The United States is falling apart all because of the liberals.[/QUOTE]

Fifty years ago it was the Communists, forty years ago it was the hippies, etc. etc. etc.

[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]They are ripping apart what was right and bringing in the filth that Geotge Washington warned us not to bring in.[/QUOTE]

And how are "they" doing this, exactly? How are liberals "ripping apart what was right" (what WAS right, exactly, and how has it been "ripped apart")? And what "filth" is being brought in, exactly, and how did George (I presume you mean George, even though you wrote "Geotge") Washington foresee this happening lo those 200+ years or so ago?

[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]Canada has it where if your preach against gay sex you will be in prisoned.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing about Canada. They see discrimination of ANY Canadian citizen as wrong. Those wacky Canadians.

[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]If that does happen in the rest of the United States I myself will be martyred or imprisoned in the next 10 to 20 years from now![/QUOTE]

And then you'll know (in the biblical sense) firsthand about homosexuality.

[QUOTE=Apologetic;503817]My brothers and sisters in Christ we need to stand up for whats right instead of letting the world walk all over us. Will you stand for GOD or for the world?[/QUOTE]

Once again, I believe that "Christ" would be appalled at the intolerance being spouted in "His" name.

"What's right" is for ALL American citizens to have equal rights, not for some to be discriminated against because SOME people's CHOSEN religious beliefs tell them they should be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:27PM #5
MedKit77
[QUOTE=Genocon;503813]Unfortunately, civics classes (along with art and music) are often among the first things to go from the curricula of under-funded schools. Equally unfortunate is that most areas that still have civics don't teach it until high school. This is something that should be taught to kids as young as they can possibly begin to understand the very basics of it.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, much of what is taught in school is quickly forgotten (or deliberately ignored/dismissed) in favor of whatever new information is being spewed from the pulpit , ESPECIALLY if that information is contradictory and/or incompatible to what was taught in school.

I have no problem with people embracing religion, but really, so often it seems like they have to check their intelligence and their grasp of reality and facts at the door in order to so.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:21PM #6
MedKit77
[QUOTE=Al_Jaeger;503731]Hey everyone. Many of you are missing the point.
It is not a discussion if gay marraige is OK with you. the point is that some political appointed judges over ruled a law that was voted on by the citizens of california. This was put up to vote and the Gay maaraige ban was over whelingly appoved. Why some hacks over turn what the people want.
OK, this is where some of you say justice was done. No it was not. Look at our constitution. Look at what we are and the system we represent. The people voited and it was changed by a political appointee.
Let's reverse this. Say the population overwhelmingly apporved gay maarage. Some ne0-conservative christain was appointed by some neo conservative politician. More conservative religious judges were assigned. Now the popular vote was over turned.
I guess it is OK if the judge was on your side, hmmm...
Our system was ment to us to vote on local and state issues. the people spoke and were ignored.
This discussion was to ask if this decision will spread, not what your opinion on gay marrage is. Was the way this was written into law the right way or not?
The process is under idictment, not the issue.
gay marrage is another discussion.
Opinions??[/QUOTE]

My "opinion" is that when discrimination is "the will of the people", it SHOULD be overridden.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 1:19PM #7
Shadeosg
The CA upreme Court just legalized gay marriage

http://cbs5.com/local/gay.marriage.ruling.2.724840.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 1:31PM #8
Do_unto_others
Justice prevails- finally!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 1:48PM #9
greling
Beat me to it! :)

Yes, history is made here today and equality has been made real! But, we must not be lax now. We may have one more fight to win at the ballot box this November!

I skimmed through the opinion lightning fast this morning, the very moment it was released at 10:00AM, searching for "we conclude" and zipped through like 100 pages. :) For a while all I kept reading how the justices disagreed with both parties and felt that their arguments were stretchy, but as I read further, I kept seeing "unconstiutional this" and "unconstitutional that", and as I read more closely I saw that though the court had invalidated practically all arguments both parties had made regarding marriage and discrimination on the basis of gender, including those of the gay rights lawyers, the court decided to heighten the legal protection accorded to sexual orientation by granting it one of strict scrutiny, which is the same protection afforded to race and gender.

Just reading those words make my heart leap and I screamed "FINALLY SOMEBODY GETS IT! " Needless to say, I nearly choked on my granola and yogurt parfait this morning! :) Cheers to all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 1:54PM #10
Do_unto_others
I always said that if a State had to change their Constitution in order to prevent same-sex marriages, then surely same-sex marriages were Constitutional to begin with. Treating ALL citizens equally before the law means just that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 37  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook