Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I'm shocked at the hatred
6 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2008 - 12:33PM #1
Morticia
I am truly in shock at the hatred and bigotted attitude on far too many of these posts. I do not understand why Religious orginizations have such hatred for gays, why they fear gays getting equal rights and protection of assets under our laws? Can someone please explain to me, beyond your own agenda of just wantng people to have to live by your "RULE" and your "Beliefs", is there any other reason why you have so much hate and fight so hard against this? Please do not tell me about the bible or what God says, it is not for you to judge, that is God's job and he says so many times over in scripture. Further God knows that there are those that will believe in him, and there are those that won't...he has accepted this fact and still loves all his children. So who exactly are you fighting for? I really want to understand? I am a Christian, but after years in the church, and my own understanding of the bible, I walked away from Religious organizations and have never looked back.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2008 - 2:06PM #2
mountain_man
The hatred being spewed by many that claim to be christian astonishes those of us that are not christian and not gay. I don't really understand it. Everyone of those that are so happy to hate will also claim their god is "love." Gee.... where's the love?
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2008 - 4:47PM #3
REteach
Actually, the hatred astonishes a lot of us who are Christian and not gay, too.  We have a hard time seeing how our faith can be so perverted as so support discrimination, bigotry and hatred. 

There was a op/ed in the paper today written by a Jewish man expressing dismay at the way a kosher packing plant was run.  Although the food was prepared in a kosher manner, the deeper points of Jewish law, about being honest and treating others well were ignored at the plant.

I think there are a lot of Christians who make the same mistake, who think external adherence to dogma justifies ignoring the great commandments, to love God above all, and one's neighbor as oneself.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 12:44AM #4
Chiyo
It was precisely this kind of hatred and violence from Christians that caused me, a member of the Christian clergy, to leave my life-long practice of Christianity at the age of 34 or 35. Now, I'm a member of an Ahimsa religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 8:26AM #5
Amelus
The fear of that which they do not understand and also is beyond their control is most of the root cause.  It led to crusades, inquisitions and the wholesale slaughter of pagans, all in the name of their God.
We must remember that in the Old Testament, there was an awful lot of hatred, genocide, and other such wonders condoned by the God in question.  Christ attempted to change the power structure from the church to the people.  Constantine ensured that would never happen, Martin Luther attempted to turn the church into an instrument for the people.  Again the need for power and control led to hatred and murder. 
Bigots and haters are not born, they are raised.  If you cannot conceive of how someone would want to not be like you, despite the fear of eternal damnation, you will fear and hate them.
As the Christian concept of heaven and hell do not exist for many of us, we don't fear the Christians, just what they do when they have the power to do it.  I see the fear and hatred in their eyes when I wear my pentacle out, have satanist hissed at me, been physically threatened by good Christians.  I guess they wanted to beat some God into me.  I had a group of Pentecosts corner me while visiting my gram, all about how I was going to burn etc, when I asked them which one of them it was who sat at the right hand of God that they had the right to judge me, they slunk away.  I taught Sunday school, don't quote scripture unless you actually know what it means, not what you misguiding light in the pulpit told you it meant.
I've blathered enough.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 10:25AM #6
nieciedo
What's truly sick is that these people do not actually believe they are being hateful and bigotted; they think they are speaking and voting their conscience.

Then, when we speak and vote their conscience to oppose them, they accuse us of being hateful and intolerant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 1:36PM #7
REteach
Newspeak..
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 1:45PM #8
Chiyo

REteach wrote:

Newspeak..

:confused: :confused: :confused:

(10 characters.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 1:47PM #9
nieciedo
It's double plus ungood! :(
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 2:57PM #10
hailtothesquirrel
Also consider that the junk spewed on this site is also in amplified form. Most of the folks who speak in the most hateful or bombastic way are doing so because they feel that they can't say anything in their real world. The cyber world opens the doors for people to become A holes and feel like they "really told that guy off".

A lot of this stuff they wouldn't dare say to anyone in their office. Maybe to others in their church or close friends. But for the most part, folks here are a cartoon version of what they really are.

Kind of like when some 6'5" 310 lb body builder cuts line and you say  "hey jackass, that's rude. get to the back of the line" only you said it in your head and not out loud.

I've been pretty sick of the posts here too. I don't find much enlightenment or insight. Rather I see people being more incite-ful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook