Switch to Forum Live View 8 year old forced to marry 30 year old in Yemen
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 1:59AM #1
bluehorserunning
http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front&a=2

1)right on, little girl! way to stand up for yourself.

2)What a profoundly disgusting culture that this girl's father force this on her, and her mother and other family members did nothing to protect her and abandoned her to her fate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 3:04PM #2
singspraise
well her dad had mental problems but what about her mom? her uncle and the judge seem to be the only reasonable people and i am glad she is in a better place to get education and be away from her crazy family. i am glad she had the courage to change her situation and her life.
"first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"
-Mahatma Ghandi
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 3:56PM #3
IreneAdler
Hafta wonder if there's others in similar positions as she was in- hope this gives them the strength to stand up for themselves.  And I hope the laws are changed to support this girl and others like her.

Why can't kids be allowed to be kids while they are kids? Is that really too much to ask?

Why is it the adults get to act childish and exercise their selfishness at the expense of children?

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 4:22PM #4
Gandalf_Parker
As far as the "culture" goes, such a marriage did not grant the husband sexual access. That is prescribed in other ways which would have gauranteed that she would be older. A marriage of that type would be treated more like an adoption until she was "of age". The reason that the judge moved on it might have been due to the husband violating that.

Im not condoning it. Just explaining it abit.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook