Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Obama to end "Don't Ask Don't Tell"
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 1:46PM #1
Shadeosg
Interesting article in the SF Chronicle discussing President Obama's plans to get rid of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … tics&tsp=1

One question that I have already seen asked (It's the first in the comments to the article) is "so gay folks can fight for our country but they can't get married?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 4:06PM #2
JonAtFaithUCC
I'm hopeful that DADT will be overturned, but I won't believe it until its overturn actually occurs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 1:02PM #3
Iwantamotto
I hope that stupid piece of nonsense is overturned.  Why our military fights to keep soldiers who got their ethical ideas from "Punk'd" or something (see:  news about various tortures and such) while dismissing gay people is beyond me.
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 9:43PM #4
glendalee2585
I do too, hope that it is overturned and even the benefits can be restored to vets who were drummed out of the army by being gay.
I too wonder how this will relate to gay marriage. If I am a serviceman or woman, my family recieves benefits too and I get a little more pay. How will the armed forces deal with this with gay-headed families?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 9:43PM #5
glendalee2585
I do too, hope that it is overturned and even the benefits can be restored to vets who were drummed out of the army by being gay.
I too wonder how this will relate to gay marriage. If I am a serviceman or woman, my family recieves benefits too and I get a little more pay. How will the armed forces deal with this with gay-headed families?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 3:29PM #6
mytmouse57
When it comes to the military, all I care about is its ability to perform its function. The military exists to protect us, not to keep people's feelings from being hurt or promote anybody's social/political agenda -- be it far left, far right, pro-gay, anti-gay or anything in between.

And the ability of the military to function hinges and rests directly upon cohesion and morale at the basic unit level -- the Army or Marine infrantry squad and platoon, for example.

So long as it does not affect unit cohesion and morale, I couldn't really care less whether the person willing to put thier life on the line in my country's defense is gay.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 7:41PM #7
REteach
It clearly doesn't affect unit cohesion in other countries.  I would hope our country is no worse off than others.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 9:29PM #8
robinsgarret
[QUOTE=mytmouse57;1039022]When it comes to the military, all I care about is its ability to perform its function. The military exists to protect us, not to keep people's feelings from being hurt or promote anybody's social/political agenda -- be it far left, far right, pro-gay, anti-gay or anything in between.

And the ability of the military to function hinges and rests directly upon cohesion and morale at the basic unit level -- the Army or Marine infrantry squad and platoon, for example.

So long as it does not affect unit cohesion and morale, I couldn't really care less whether the person willing to put thier life on the line in my country's defense is gay.[/QUOTE]

I would surmise that bigots serving in the military are far more threatening to unit cohesion and morale.  Maybe we should replace DADT with an anti-bigotry criteria for serving....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 2:58PM #9
mytmouse57
[QUOTE=REteach;1039544]It clearly doesn't affect unit cohesion in other countries.  I would hope our country is no worse off than others.[/QUOTE]

Nor, apparently, have women in combat roles hurt the effectiveness of other nations' military units. America is slow to change sometimes. It's highly ironic that during WWII, the German military had some racially integrated units -- yet the U.S. military did not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 3:02PM #10
mytmouse57
[QUOTE=robinsgarret;1039844]I would surmise that bigots serving in the military are far more threatening to unit cohesion and morale.  Maybe we should replace DADT with an anti-bigotry criteria for serving....[/QUOTE]

An interesting point of view to consider -- which I've heard expressed by some people I've discussed the military at lenght with -- is that an all-volunteer military actually increases the chance of it becoming a hyper conservative, or reactionary, entity.  If you think about it, there's some sense to that. Who is, typically, going to volunteer for military service? Well, usually the most conservative elements of society.

Now, if you have mandatory service -- such as they do in many other countries -- you have a built-in insurance policy that the military is always going to reflect a broad cross-section of society, and therefore is far less likety to fall under the sway of any particular social or political point of view.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook