Switch to Forum Live View moments vs continuity
6 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 2:25AM #1
n0parkin
I don't think you can have both - and it's difficult to overlap them.

One is about tradition - deeper understanding of one person, place or action.  The other is about experiences, newness and creativity.  While they sometimes overlap, you have to focus on one or the other. 

In unbearable lightness of being, the main character gains the most at the end of his life, when it becomes more simple.  He stays with his wife and his dog and they get to understanding each other in a way he hadn't been able to before.  He no longer reaches for new experiences (in his case - other women) but seeks to create deeper satisfaction from his one partner and their life away from the city. 

But would he have truly appreciated this if it hadn't been for his former life as a window washer when he would meet all sorts of women every day?  Aren't all novels the stuff of moments? 

And is this what you remember in your life - the moments or the mundane but familiar? 

Do you focus on seizing the unfamiliar or accepting the beauty of sameness?  One focus will upset the other.  Should you accept the rose offered by the unfamiliar or walk away in favor of the familiar?  I've always believed that the best way to experience life is the first, but I find I'm getting into the 'safer' rut of sameness and familiarity now. 

What do you do?  Do you accept the rose or do you walk away?  Thanks for your thoughts!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 8:31AM #2
REteach
In May, my husband and I will have been married for 30 years.  We love the beauty of the sameness, but we mix it up with the new and unfamiliar, too.  It keeps the beauty of the sameness great.  Other people are not needed if you have some love, trust and creativity
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook