Switch to Forum Live View I expected better than this
6 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 7:08AM #1
Beautiful_Dreamer
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho … 92058.html

I can't believe that, in 2008 in the civilised world, that this sort of thing would even happen at all.

Basically, a gay man from Iran who was in Britain as a student applied for asylum there and was denied. He ran to Holland rather than being deported back to Iran, where homosexual conduct is and has been punished by death. Forgive me, but wasn't the whole concept of asylum created specifically for cases like this? I understand there are protocols, but hell, if I had been in his position, I'd have run to Holland too.

I thought Britain was one of the places that was seen as 'better' in terms of rights for/treatment of gay people. But I am an American, what do I know?

For the Brits, is this normal? Are gays normally treated this way, or was this an extraordinary case?
More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 8:28AM #2
dannyuk2
truely not good.   I'd have expected better too.  I dont think the man's sexuality had a say in the decision however.   Immigration is a big issue in the UK right now.  We cannot refuse immigrants from other EU countries - we have to accept them - its the same in all EU member countries,  And britain is only a small island,  we can't cope with the immigration levels as it is.  As a result of this,  Those in genuine need get turned away.   However there is the option of an appeal which i hope the guy takes.   He must.   If he is sent back to britain then the british immigration agencies must not overlook his plight again.  I'll be praying for him,  I hope his fears are allayed soon and he has a place he can call home.

But no - Gays are not normally treated this way over here in britain,   I think this guy was just an unusual case,   and I hope the british courts will reconsider his application and allow him to stay.   It is against our rules to deport someone to a country where they potentially face death by law.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 3:37PM #3
robinsgarret
Wonder what would happen in the US...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2008 - 4:15PM #4
Beautiful_Dreamer
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/world … s-gay.html

It looks as though that, even though he fled to the Netherlands and was denied asylum there, Britain is going to give the case a second look.
More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook