Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Gays Shouldn't Be Allowed To Marry
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2008 - 11:33PM #1
Vanillaangel

12 Reasons Why Gays Shouldn't Marry:

1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control.

2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people can't legally get married because the world needs more children.

3. Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if Gay marriage is allowed, since Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.

5. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are property, blacks can't marry whites, and divorce is illegal.

6. Gay marriage should be decided by people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of the minorities.

7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

10. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.

11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to things like cars or longer life spans.

12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages for gays and lesbians will.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 7:58AM #2
Tmarie64
[QUOTE=Covenant of Grace;985407]You know... here I was all equipped and prepared for combat... and you go and be all reasonable and apparently have a brain capable of exercising logic and understanding the obvious. Darn it. Now what I am supposed to since I'm all riled up?

I'll go find a  racist somewhere to yell at....

[/QUOTE]

Ditto....  ~~sigh~~  I'll be bummed all day.

Though I am THRILLED to see Vanilla's logic.  Brilliant.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 12:02PM #3
Vanillaangel
I have a feeling those racists will never stand a chance. ;)

This is not my creation actually. I've had this list in my files for quite a long time and while the author is anonymous, which I should have specified in the OP to avoid confusion, it none the less speaks volumes to the issue of gay equality. And to those who use those very same 12 points to rail against gay marriage.

I think they're a grand collection of counterpoints that will hopefully one day be relegated to the histories wherein the record of that fight for civil rights resides, after the battle is won.

It is my greatest hope that one day soon the final oppressed community of citizens who fought to have equal rights in a country that boasts itself the land of the free, will gain victory as free and equal citizens of America.
When an adult community is oppressed, by law, and forbidden to love freely as consenting adults, no one is truly free of the law that gives bigotry rights!

(Hopefully I can edit the OP to include "Anonymous" after the title. Again my apologies for the omission.)

Edit to add: The "Thread Tools" option will not permit the edit. So for all readers after this post, please understand "12 Reasons" is not my creation. Its author is anonymous and wise beyond measure. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 7:16PM #4
Kimrdhbsms
"Did you know that the one god has a trauma based multiple persionality, and your sinsare to blame?" Anonymous

Could part of that trauma be his change in gender from female to male?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 11:06AM #5
MCarter251
I can't disagree what anything stated in your post.  Where ever you got it from it's dead on.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 11:49AM #6
mountain_man
You forgot another VERY important reason; I'll have to buy more wedding gifts. That would be a huge drain on my budget. Also, can you imagine what a gay wedding would be like!? Now you'll have the straight women to have a fancier wedding than the gay weddings. The cost of weddings will skyrocket.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 1:48PM #7
Tmarie64
I bought my husband a tux for just under $300.  Now he has a custom fit and never has to worry if it'll be ready when he needs it and doesn't have to remember to pick it up.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 2:09PM #8
Tmarie64
[QUOTE=Covenant of Grace;998175]I'm afraid my ex-wife left me in financial ruin or I'd consider that a great idea![/QUOTE]

Sorry!  Really... I can't imagine ruining the man I was married to.  I mean, divorces happen.  For whatever reason, except physical abuse, I wouldn't break my husband.  I might make his life hell until the divorce was final, but I wouldn't try to take everything he had.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 2:46PM #9
Vanillaangel

Kimrdhbsms wrote:

"Did you know that the one god has a trauma based multiple persionality, and your sinsare to blame?" Anonymous

Could part of that trauma be his change in gender from female to male?

Shhh, he's still under the impression no one can see the scars. ;)

And Ms.MCarter, if you Google "12 reasons gays shouldn't marry", you'll find this carried at a lot of websites. I found it long ago and saved it as is. It didn't have an author to it's credit, so it's anonymous as far as I know. However, it's priceless in it's address of the point and counterpoint for equality in gay marriage.

Pass it on if you'd like. I borrowed it so to do many others. The more that have the chance to read just how ridiculous the advocates against gay marriage are, when they sincerely bring these 12 points into a debate, the better.

I actually did encounter one of their number not long ago. And sure enough they proffered the 9th argument. And sure enough, I countered with the 9th counter. lol  The look on their face was priceless. But not as much as the sound of silence that followed, accompanied by their swift exit from my sight. :D
I was so proud. I'd accomplished my, educate a bigot for the day, agenda. Yay me!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 3:50PM #10
mountain_man
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;998134]I bought my husband a tux for just under $300.  Now he has a custom fit and never has to worry if it'll be ready when he needs it and doesn't have to remember to pick it up.[/QUOTE]
You can buy a used rental tux for about $100, and I've seen them in those discount suit places, new, for $100.

You should see me in a tux. :cool:
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook