Page 32 of 36  •  Prev 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 36 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What does Xianity Offer to/Require of...
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 10:31AM #311
dblad
Quote: Tom

Mark 10: "Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Tom: “The point He was making is this:”
===

Or maybe it means no one can be saved through his money, his skills, his talents, his intellect, or his good looks!

I offer one more scripture for you to ponder;

1 Samuel 2:
"Do not keep talking so proudly
or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
for the LORD is a God who knows,
and by him deeds are weighed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 10:31AM #312
REteach
[QUOTE=xequar;322528]Safe, sane, and consentual BDSM, or the bad kind?  If it's safe, sane, and consentual, I'm totally cool with that and give those people some credit for thinking outside of the Xian box.[/QUOTE]

They emphasized consensual.  I just think it is stupid they feel they need the Bible to justify consensual fun.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 10:58AM #313
Sirronrex

dblad wrote:

You are very talented

Talent is an illusion, my friend.

The gold medalist figure skater makes it looks so easy...they appear so talented.

But what you fail to see, my friend, is all that practice that made them appear to be so talented.

God's gifts are free, my friend...it simply requires choosing which gift to receive...and practicing, practicing, practicing.

My choice you ask? Not poetry...not at all. I choose these Gifts...and practice them and practice them and practice them. The poetry is merely an illusion of talent...it takes nothing to allow it to flow from within to the page. I am thankful for the free Gifts I am provided every day...and believe me when I tell you...sometimes I am completely blown away when I finish writing something that I applied no thought to and then I read it. WOW! That came from me??? The closest I can come to describing the Joy and Elation is memories of childhood, waking up to see what's under that tree.

Peace!

These are the Gifts I choose to receive. Practicing them is key.

Love God above all things.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

These two are the only ones that have ever mattered...and ever will.

The poetry is the result of practicing these. I owe it all to Him.

I've been on a journey to nowhere...
and know that's the best place to be...
now...here...

If my faith isn't leading me inward, then my faith is leading me astray.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 11:02AM #314
clyde5001

TomAnderson wrote:

======================================
@ clyde5001:

I know the statement above isn't Hebrew.
But neither does it seem to be English.
Care to rephrase?....

You know what bud? When you have a piece of bone sticking into your spine and you're taking oxycontin just so you can kill the pain enough to take a breath, sometimes, at ten-to-midnight, you miss a word or two when you're typing. You knew exactly what I meant, but you're just looking to mock, 'cause that's the kind of person you are and the veneer of Xianity will never cover it.

and no, God didn't give it to "us people", because when it was given, there WAS no "us ppl", there was only your ancestors, the Israelis.
Of whom JC was the ultimate descendant, and the Jew par excellence.
And Whom ushered in said New Convenant

The devil more likely (except we don't believe in that). Whatever. As has been stated: if you believe G-D could change his mind about an eternal covenant, you have no real faith in him. You are less than an atheist. Atheists have morals.

H2319
cha?da?sh
khaw-dawsh'
From H2318; new: - fresh, new thing.

H2318
cha?dash
khaw-dash'
A primitive root; to be new; causatively to rebuild: - renew, repair.

D'oh!... Looks like clyde's explanation is not as cut & dried as he wishes it were.
Taken together with "Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers", the context leans heavily in favor of the meaning clyde doesn't like. Bummer.

And what English concordance are you quoting from? I'm sitting here with the Tanakh open in front of me. There's no English. It's just Hebrew. I learned Hebrew at the same time I learned English. The words in context are renewed.

Even if Jeremiah were speaking of another covenant, it would be referencing worship of a dead man.

D'oh! indeed.

Shema Y'Israel Adnai Eloheinu, Adonei Echad.

Am Y'Israel Chai!

23,298 posts as of 2/27/2009

3,208 after the transition.

A 20,090 difference.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 12:44PM #315
Sirronrex
Hey dblad,

I was just checking my email and I took a look at the Daily Horoscope email I receive each day from Bnet.

Here's todays! Will wonders ever cease? I think not...All of it is Wondrous!

Peace, my friend!

You could be considering a new attitude or life philosophy. For some time now, you've been interested in expanding your personal horizons. You might be ready to look into a new religion, a fresh spiritual approach, or some self-help strategies. You'll gain a lot by analyzing your life and figuring out what you would like to change. Let go of some old hang-ups and negative attitudes, and realize that you can create miracles for yourself!

I am the Miracle that is me!

Just like You...Just like Him!

now...here...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 1:01PM #316
Sirronrex

clyde5001 wrote:

the veneer of Xianity will never cover it.

Veneers

Paint with Numbers
Paint with squares
Paint with boxes
Paint with Chairs

The tainted Ones
The tainted lairs
The tainted rocks
The tainted wares

All have been painted
All have been squared
All have been inspected
All have been prepared

None of this busyness
None of this fair
None of this whirly-whirl
None of this split hair

Matters not to anything
Matters not to Us
Matters not to Those who See
Matter's not to be.

You'll See.

now...here...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 1:42PM #317
dblad
Quote SirronRex

Peace, my friend!

And peace to you
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 3:09PM #318
TomAnderson
@    xequar:

[QUOTE]Once again, Tom, you've posted absolutely nothing of useful substance[/QUOTE]
Oh?
And just how "useful" do you feel "fucktards", "fucking bla" and the like to be?
I find it very useful for character definition. Yours.

[QUOTE] your biblical understanding is... less than complete[/QUOTE]
I never claimed it to be otherwise.
However, responsible exegesis shows it to be MORE than adequate for demolishing your insipid arguments.
Which is really all that's necessary here.

[QUOTE]Honestly, mostly I just ignore you, but every so often you spew so much drivel that you make my blood-pressure skyrocket. [/QUOTE]
Thus resulting in a torrent of incoherent, profanity laced dreck from you.
Which was (one of) our intent(s), of course.
Good job.

[QUOTE]Between that and the fact that I don't believe in the concept of profanity, [/QUOTE]
So you deny that profanity exists?
Not surprising for one who is drowning in his own denial, after all.

[QUOTE]I occasionally throw up[/QUOTE]
Yes, you certainly do.
Moist towellete?....

[QUOTE]So tell me, Tom, why have you ignored every offer to discuss this in real-life terms with me?[/QUOTE]
Because you have not defined what "this" you're referring to.
If I just start spouting off about what I "imagine" you mean, that would make me no better than you, and I ain't goin' there. So how's about you define your terms vis a vis "it"?...

Adam & Lillith?
Adam & Eve?
Adam & Steve?
What?...

[QUOTE] Why have you ignored repeated attempts to discuss this [/QUOTE]
See above

[QUOTE]attempts to discuss this without every argument on your part being based on that book of yours?[/QUOTE]
As regards topics which HAVE been defined, the reason is that my entire LIFE is based on "that book" of mine, so of course I will draw from it substantially.
Whereas your arguments seem to be based on nothing more substantial than your whim (or indigestion) of the moment.
That's the diff twixt you & I, x (or at least the major one):
I base my life and worldview on someone GREATER than myself, and you base yours on ONLY yourself.
Thus dooming you to your current track record of failure.

[QUOTE]It's not like I post anything that deep or complex, nor do I usually post anything that takes a great deal of research to discuss[/QUOTE]
Yes, and it shows.
In spades.

[QUOTE], so why do you refuse to engage in an actual dialogue with me? [/QUOTE]
I'm dialoging with you right now, yo.

[QUOTE]I don't believe in your book, and your book has no demonstrable basis in reality[/QUOTE]
To you, no.
But fortunately, reality is not beholden to YOUR view of it.

[QUOTE]so I instantly dismiss and ignore any arguments you base upon that book. [/QUOTE]
Your call, but then stop whining about the resulting "lack of dialog", eh?...

[QUOTE]And, because you refuse to step outside of the covers of your book and glimpse the real world where gays are actual people[/QUOTE]
I live in the real world. Where gays are real people.
And where every and any other kind of sinner is likewise "real people", including me, and even you.

[QUOTE]you dismiss everything I say. [/QUOTE]
Being that you just admitted that you do the same with me, why do you expect any better from others?
Esp when those others don't particularly care for the profanity (reality check: even if you don't "beleive in" profanity, your momma does, as do a great many other "real people") you spew, esp. when you fling it at ppl you don't even know

[QUOTE] just come out and call me a brainless twit, [/QUOTE]
Why should I, when you've already done the work FOR me?...

[QUOTE]and then make a concerted effort to show me my errors. [/QUOTE]
Been doing that.
But by your own admission, you've been "ignoring" me, so you have no grounds to whine about the consequences of your own ignorance.

@    dblad:

[QUOTE]Or maybe it means no one can be saved through his money, his skills, his talents, his intellect, or his good looks![/QUOTE]
That is inherent in the message as well.
After all, if one could be saved by one's own efforts and/or merits, there'd be no need for a Savior.

[QUOTE]"Do not keep talking so proudly
or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
for the LORD is a God who knows,
and by him deeds are weighed[/QUOTE]
Physician, heal thyself.

@    clyde:

[QUOTE]When you have a piece of bone sticking into your spine and you're taking oxycontin just so you can[/QUOTE]
Oh geez, here we go again.

[QUOTE]You knew exactly what I meant, [/QUOTE]
No, I didn't clyde. Basically, the last half of your sentence there got munged by your piece o' bone-oxycontin syntax, so I really DON'T Know what you were trying to say.

[QUOTE]The devil more likely (except we don't believe in that). [/QUOTE]
Really?
Hmm, then how is it that you can evoke "hell" in your posts if there's no "devil"? Hmmm?.
Contradict much?
Or is it that there IS a hell, but it ain't run by the devil; merely outsourced to cut costs to some outfit in Bangladesh?...

[QUOTE]As has been stated: if you believe G-D could change his mind about an eternal covenant, you have no real faith in him. [/QUOTE]
As I have stated elsewhere, clyde, this is NOT what I beleive.
God didn't "change" his mind, the New Covenant was part of His plan all ALONG

[QUOTE]Atheists have morals.[/QUOTE]
No they don't.
"Morals" cannot be demonstrated to exist without there being some fixed, unchanging  standard by which to judge human behavior.
Atheists don't beleive in God, and so the only "standard" is the ever-changing standard of humanity's whim.
No fixed standard, no morals to speak of.
It's really quite simple.

[QUOTE]And what English concordance are you quoting from?[/QUOTE]
No concordance; Strong's Hebrew.

[QUOTE]The words in context are renewed.[/QUOTE]
Then you'll need to explain this:

"NOT like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they BROKE...But THIS is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel AFTER those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law withIN them, and I will write it ON THEIR HEARTS...And NO LONGER shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother...for they shall ALL know me...For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin NO MORE." (Jer 31)

RENEW means to make something "like new".
And here we have God giving various manner of ways in which this New Covenant will NOT be like the one that came before (even back when THAT one still had that dreamy "new covenant" smell...).

That is, in these ways it will be distinctly DIFFERENT than the older one.
Whatever similarities there may be, when 2 items can be demonstrated to be qualiitatively different from one another, then they are clearly two DIFFERENT items.

All that to say this:
New" means "New", not "REnewed", since renewal by definition cannot make a thing DIFFERENT, nor BETTER than it was before, merely AS it was before, and no mroe than that....

Simple logic, clyde - logic than cuts thru all the bone spurs and oxycontin one cares to throw at it without its edge becoming dulled.

[QUOTE]Even if Jeremiah were speaking of another covenant, it would be referencing worship of a dead man. [/QUOTE]
Not if said man was resurrected.
And He was.

D'oh! indeed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 3:45PM #319
Do_unto_others
TomA,

Me: "Now, care to address any of my other points (specifically your comment about the "first couple" who were, in fact the "second couple"? 

You: "Heh.
I can scarce "address" it when I haven't the foggiest notion what it IS. "

"It" is the entire Adam and Lillith story. It's been excised out of most Bibles, but by no means all of them. Surely one who is as richly versed in Biblical scholarship as you are would have an inkling.

Me: "Actually, they weren't ANY kind of couple..."Adam" and "Lillith"  - other than metaphorical couples, but again, the point is selectivity and "CONTEXT".) 

You: One cannot have "context" without a TEXT to base it on."

But YOU are the "Biblical expert". If you cannot find the appropriate references to the woman God created BEFORE God created "Eve", then you don't know as much as you claim to about the Bible.

Now, about the length of your posts again ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 3:51PM #320
SquirleyWurley
One thing.  Re: atheists and morals.

TomAnderson wrote:

No they don't.
"Morals" cannot be demonstrated to exist without there being some fixed, unchanging  standard by which to judge human behavior.
Atheists don't beleive in God, and so the only "standard" is the ever-changing standard of humanity's whim.
No fixed standard, no morals to speak of.
It's really quite simple.

Are you defining 'morals' as distinct from 'ethics'.. if we use different definitions we will just talk in parallel and get nowhere.

There are people who sincerely uphold a set of standards and follow a set of rules which guide their behavior with other people so that they treat them fairly and justly.  They may call it 'morals' or 'ethics' or something else, and you may argue over which terms to use where, but the fact is, there are many atheists who are very firmly committed to civil and human rights, fairness and justice.

There are many atheists who are consistently against torture.  On the other hand there are Christians who are not so against torture, didn't see a reason to be bothered by the Bush Administration's tolerance of torture in the war effort.

The decision of a Christian to use the Bible as a guide for morality, is also a human whim.  A faulty human has a whim that they can trust the Bible and rely on it to answer all their questions.

I.e., your faulty human 'whim' to be a Christian and rely on the Bible is no more or less solid than an atheist like mine's whims to be consistently against torture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 32 of 36  •  Prev 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 36 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook