6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 5:23PM #1
ItsAllALie
When members of one of the most conservative Christian denominations can get together and propose the following. This is in part, simply to save space, but the entire website may be seen at www.lds4gaymarriage.org.  I am heartened.  Holly

In keeping with these teachings, we believe that withholding the legal benefits offered by Caesar harms gay couples, their children and therefore society at large. We therefore believe that government officials specifically authorized to perform marriages should be required under law to perform marriages for gays and lesbians in the same way they are required to perform them for any other couple. This protects the Equal Protection and equal rights of all.
We are simply proposing that gay men and lesbian couples be allowed, via Civil Same-Sex Marriage, the legal benefits which heterosexual couples are already allowed.
Churches are private organizations with First Amendment protections and as such must be allowed to act as they see fit. Those churches not wanting to perform marriages for gays and lesbians must be free to follow their beliefs and not be forced to perform such services. Though abortion and divorce are established legal rights, the government doesn't force the Catholic church to honor or recognize either. Those churches that have no problem with marrying gays and lesbians should be allowed to do so and have such marriages be equally valid and binding before the law as any other marriage. All opposition to Civil Same-Sex Marriage comes down to it being contrary to one's religious/moral beliefs. Opponents may try to justify their opposition by raising other issues, but those are easily refuted, as you will see in other sections of this site. Attempts to outlaw Civil Same-Sex Marriage are clearly contrary to the teachings of the scriptures, both ancient and modern. The scriptures are superior to the teachings of all leaders, including the President of the Church. Opposing Civil Same-Sex Marriage is contrary to the official teachings of the Church. Those doing so are guilty of "steadying the ark" and are clearly violating the teachings of the scriptures and in need of repentance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 9:32PM #2
Astroturf
You know, Holly, I was perusing the Mormon board on BNet one day and discovered a thread in which all the posters were vehemently--and I mean it--oppposed to Fred Phelps and his ilk.  I didn't find any other references to homosexuality on the threads I read, but they were definitely repulsed by Mr. Phelps and his ilk.  Granted, he is an extreme example of hatred incarnate and a wide variety of folks dislike him, but just seeing people of a conservative faith opposed to his form of bigotry was very heartening. 

Thank you for the information. 

Hello, everyone. :)  I'm kinda new to these forums.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 10:22PM #3
ItsAllALie

Astroturf wrote:

You know, Holly, I was perusing the Mormon board on BNet one day and discovered a thread in which all the posters were vehemently--and I mean it--oppposed to Fred Phelps and his ilk. I didn't find any other references to homosexuality on the threads I read, but they were definitely repulsed by Mr. Phelps and his ilk. Granted, he is an extreme example of hatred incarnate and a wide variety of folks dislike him, but just seeing people of a conservative faith opposed to his form of bigotry was very heartening.

Thank you for the information.

Hello, everyone. :) I'm kinda new to these forums.

It's EXTREMELY hartening, Astro,,,We know that most of the churches aren't going to reconsider their positions,,,,at least not until long after the people do, IF they do so,,,,but it's the FIRST sign that people are coming around,,,that PEOPLE are reconsidering how wrong it is to take the rights away from human beings because of their own faith,,,

Holly

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook