Switch to Forum Live View Robinson Lecture - Morality and Legal Rights for Sexual Minorities
7 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2007 - 2:13AM #1
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]Gene Robinson gave a lecture last month at the Nova Southeastern University Law School (Shephard Broad Law Center).  His lecture was the fourth in the 2007 Goodman Lecture Series.   The subject of this year's lectures was "The Continuing Role of Morality in the Development of Legal Rights for Sexual Minorities."  The descriptive blurb for the series states:

[COLOR="Blue"]South Florida was the home of Anita Bryant’s infamous fight against an anti-discrimination ordinance in Dade County, and her subsequent push for a ban on adoptions by gays and lesbians. The program will explore how views about morality have developed since Anita Bryant’s crusade in 1977, and to what extent morality still influences the laws impacting sexual minorities here in the United States and around the world. Throughout the lecture series, our speakers will provide a wide range of theories and beliefs about how differing views of morality have shaped the legal doctrine affecting sexual minorities. The speakers will address marriage equality, the historical development of sexual identity law, various legal doctrines that balance morality with gay and lesbian rights, and how the political process deals with morality and the treatment of sexual minorities. [/COLOR]

Coverage of Robinson's lecture is here and here.

In his lecture, Bishop Robinson characterized the "religious right" as close-minded in its literal interpretation of Bible condemnation of homosexuality.   He said that people must "rescue the Bible from the religious right" and fight for civil rights to be extended to everyone, including gay people.

He observed that society suffers from a system set up to benefit heterosexual couples, which he called "heterosexism."  Only straight couples can marry in most states. In the military, gay people work under a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.   He also cited the example of a man who beats up a gay man.  A typical defense, he said, would be that the gay man made sexual advances at him.  And some people, he said, would say that justified the attack.  But he said a similar defense would not work if the gay man were a woman.  "Can you imagine how empty the streets would be if we locked up every man who hit on a woman?" he asked.

He observed that that system needs to end.  "We have lost the distinction between what the state does and what the church and synagogue does," he said.

He also noted that "[t]he greatest single hindrance to achievement of full rights for gay people can be laid at the doorstep of the three Abrahamic faiths - Judaism, Christianity and Islam."  "It’s going to take people of faith to end discrimination," he said.

He also emphasized that scripture must viewed in its historical context.  Citing specific verses in Leviticus calling male homosexual acts an abomination, he noted that the same holiness code says eating pork is an abomination and that children cursing their parents is punishable with death.  However, he observed, the concept of sexual orientation didn't emerge until about a century ago. 

He also observed that Jesus said divorce is only permitted with adultery, for which the Episcopal Church used to deny the divorced Communion and view remarriage as adultery.

"We changed our mind as a culture, as a nation, as a church about something we have been very sure about for a couple thousand years."   Thus, he observed, as people change, their understanding of Scripture changes too.  "Just because God is perfect doesn't mean we perfectly understand God," he said.

In the audience was John J. McNeill, a former Jesuit, who said he was expelled from the order after he criticized the Vatican's position on homosexuality.  Speaking to Robinson, he said, "Having you come along and do such a beautiful job fills my heart with gratitude and joy."

During the lecture, Robinson reminded the audience that he and his partner of 20 years will enter into a civil union in June.  New Hampshire has legalized such unions, effective January 1, 2008.  He told the audience that he always wanted to be a June bride :-)  He observed that "[i[t may take many years for religious institutions to add their blessing for same-sex marriages and no church, mosque or synagogue should be forced to do so.  But that should not slow down progress for the full civil right to marry."

Comments?  Thoughts?
[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2007 - 2:20PM #2
JohnQ
I agree with Bishop Robinson.
Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 10:35AM #3
journeying
++Gene Robinson is such an outstanding example of what a bishop should be.  The only way the dissenters can try to "win" their case for discrimination is by badmouthing and pretending that lgbt people are somehow subhuman.  Make me sick.  No wonder young people don't respect the "church".

While he rants and raves and anti-gay Congressmen are picking up guys in public bathrooms, I wonder if Schofield is really as celibate as he claims to be.  He certainly could take some lessons in being an Episcopal bishop from ++Gene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 10:35AM #4
journeying
++Gene Robinson is such an outstanding example of what a bishop should be.  The only way the dissenters can try to "win" their case for discrimination is by badmouthing and pretending that lgbt people are somehow subhuman.  Make me sick.  No wonder young people don't respect the "church".

While he rants and raves and anti-gay Congressmen are picking up guys in public bathrooms, I wonder if Schofield is really as celibate as he claims to be.  He certainly could take some lessons in being an Episcopal bishop from ++Gene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2007 - 6:59PM #5
Dutch777
Three cheers for Bp.Robinson.  He says what needs to be shouted from the rooftops.
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 9:58AM #6
journeying
There is more about +Gene on this blog.  The comments are also very interesting.  I'd prefer to worship with people who come to TEC because of inclusion rather than the simply tolerant cradles.  That's where the life is, IMO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 12:26PM #7
Dutch777
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7166964.stm  Excellent article; totally true; complete candor.  PBKJS has a humongous pair of solid brass goolies --- and I love her for it.  While Fuzzy is dithering, waffling, wrist-wringing and drooling into his Dry Sack, PBKJS  is saying what needs to be said forthrightly.
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 4:58PM #8
Dutch777
m90.org/gallery/image/brassballs.jpg  Big 'Uns. :D
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 2:06AM #9
JohnQ
PBKJS is doing what she knows to be the right thing to do.  ABC is trying to figure out what to do.

That is the difference between them.
Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook