Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ask an Apologist: Should I care that Dumbledore is gay?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 3:34PM #1
White-Dove
I thought she gave a very balanced answer here.

Should I care that Dumbledore is gay?
[COLOR="Purple"]
The Church doesn't ordinarily make judgments about works of literature, leaving that to Catholics informed by their faith and by the discipline of literary criticism.

Given that, I can only offer my opinion, but it is one that is informed by having read all seven books in the Harry Potter series and by having followed Christian concerns about the series.

Both reactions you report are, in my opinion, misguided. That Christian critics of the series would jump on this announcement as "proof" that the series is "morally bad" demonstrates that those Christians who make this argument likely have not read the books at all, or at least have not read them with open minds. In the books, Dumbledore's sexuality is not mentioned at all. In retrospect, looking at the books in the light of Rowling's revelation, there are hints (e.g., Dumbledore's occasional effeminate affectations), but those hints can be interpreted in alternative ways. For example, since Dumbledore is the series' "wisdom figure," his feminine affectations can be interpreted as a symbol of his embodiment of both masculine and feminine wisdom (thus making him what might be called "fully wise").

On the other side, some fans of the series have entirely dismissed Rowling's revelation, saying that her understanding of her character is no more important than their own since she did not include this revelation in the series itself. That, I think, is disrespectful to Rowling and to her work in creating this character. Artists' creations are first their own and only secondarily their audiences. While a reader can provide his own insights into a literary work, those insights should conform to either what the author has revealed about the work or, if it is on a point that is open to interpretation, should not be in contradiction to the work itself. To completely dismiss an author's understanding of her creation is to lose valuable insight into the creation and to diminish the creation itself.

In this case, such dismissal is also entirely unnecessary. Since Dumbledore's sexuality plays no part in the series, parents are free to concentrate on other aspects of the series with their children, leaving this particular facet of the story unmentioned. If it does come up, perhaps because the child has heard of Rowling's revelation from news reports or from friends, a parent can then show the child how Rowling has left the series itself open to the understanding that Dumbledore never acted upon his same-sex attraction, but instead devoted himself to service to the community and to fighting evil. Such an understanding of the character can provide a fictional model of how those afflicted with SSA should seek to live. And, even if this is not Rowling's understanding of homosexuality, it is not contradictory to the series as she wrote it.[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 3:40PM #2
danman916
White Dove,

You sure do take an interest in that web site, for one who dis-likes it so much.
I remember when i was in 3rd grade, there was this girl who always used to pick on me all the time, until my sister told me that it was because she had a crush on me. So the next day, i told her i knew she liked me, and she got so upset denying as I kept pushing the point that she left me alone after that.
Perhaps you are, secretly, a big fan, and just can't come to admit it.

So how come you never post the one's that ask really good questions about Christology and soteriology?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 3:54PM #3
White-Dove
You sure are rude Dan, considering you are a moderator here. I thought the Apologist gave a decent answer. Why don't you post the ones you like?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:16PM #4
shirleyj227
"You sure are rude Dan, considering you are a moderator here"

Not any more I hear from the grapevine he did not like that another person was added as moderator. LOL Only Catholics on Catholic debate. It seems to not matter how fair  or logical the new moderator is..
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:27PM #5
danman916
[QUOTE=shirleyj227;66219]"You sure are rude Dan, considering you are a moderator here"

Not any more I hear from the grapevine he did not like that another person was added as moderator. LOL Only Catholics on Catholic debate. It seems to not matter how fair  or logical the new moderator is..[/QUOTE]

Shirley,

Stop listening to the grapevine, you don't know what you're talking about.
I quit being a moderator months ago.
I am not that simplistic that i would quit over a moderator.
I quit because of a fundamental disagreement with the management in the way that beliefnet interprets their own ROCs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:30PM #6
danman916
[QUOTE=shirleyj227;66219]
Only Catholics on Catholic debate. It seems to not matter how fair  or logical the new moderator is..[/QUOTE]

Shirley,  do you ever read what you post?
Cherubino was a moderator long before i ever was, and he isn't Catholic. So if I had a problem, as you describe above, then i wouldn't have even applied for the job.
But it is interesting entertainment to see people buy into such trifle gossip!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:33PM #7
shirleyj227
Oh Dan I know when you stoped being a M. Also Cheribino was a Monk  No?

Shirley
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:34PM #8
shirleyj227
"buy into such trifle gossip"

Well you did not say other wise at the time.

Shirley
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:52PM #9
danman916
[QUOTE=shirleyj227;66258]Oh Dan I know when you stoped being a M. Also Cheribino was a Monk  No?

Shirley[/QUOTE]

Tell me Shirl,  when was it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 4:53PM #10
danman916
[QUOTE=shirleyj227;66267]"buy into such trifle gossip"

Well you did not say other wise at the time.
Shirley[/QUOTE]

Really? What did I say?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook